Referendum(s)

Yes you are still a British Citizen but so are British born Islamic state fighters (i am not comparing people who emigrate around the world to these people) should they still have the vote if there was a party saying bring them all back to the UK we forgive you, or Prisoners that can vote for a party that would free them. There has to be a point when you say sorry you have now lost your voice on election day. My moderate opinion is 2 possibly 3 years.

Torre, perhaps your family members decided to give up British citizenship when they emigrated, or perhaps they enjoy dual NZ and British citizenship.

Only you will know what situation holds for your kinfolk, but as @anon88169868 suggests, the decision lies in one’s own hands, and cannot be abrogated by the State, at least not currently.

You could petition for it if you want, but I very much doubt it would have parliamentary support, or even popular support. Why should it?

Well balanced and sensible, I must have missed that post.

1 Like

Torre, do you think that living in a country for two years should enable you to vote for the leader of that country?

1 Like

It was Torre’s self-assessment, David. I was buttering him up, it’s my new policy, thought it worth a try post-Wheatley :+1::grinning:.

4 Likes

If they disqualify themselves in some other way (such as being a terrorist) - no.

I don’t know your circumstances but do you live in the UK or in France Torcaz?

The thing I find weirdest is that that means that…wait for this…

JRM has found someone prepared to have sex with him on at least six occasions.

Can’t get my head round that one personally.

Yeurkkkkkkkkk.

1 Like

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

They’re devout Catholics, it’s their grim duty, like it or like-it-not. Perhaps they both see it as a kind of penance. Lie down (or bob up and down) and think of the Vatican City.

3 Likes

And they called the sixth child Sixtus

1 Like

I presume that would be this person.

Yes i do. After about 2 years you should now be part of the fabric of a new life abroad.

I live in the UK and own a holiday home in France that one day im sure i will live in for a few years and would understand if i lost the right to vote back in the UK until/if i was to return.

Well, Torre if you want to abdicate responsibility for the country that supported your family and your compatriots out of a sense of personal illegitimacy, that’s your right. You don’t HAVE to vote, just stay away from the polls.

But for those of us that still have concerns for kith and kin there, and for the society that nurtured and protected us, and which we helped to build, and which want to see enjoy better times; for us, do the decent thing and don’t decide for us.

You are a balanced and sensible chap. Stay that way! Thanks! :+1::blush:

1 Like

There were two old biddies who were boasting that they had not voted for twenty years, but they were taken in by the slogan on that bus.
I think that if you choose not to vote for fifteen years then you should lose that right.
You should not lose the right to vote when the government makes the rules over your pension.

2 Likes

That option could supply an incentive to vote, if your non-voters got adequate notice of their imminent disenfranchisement. Thus not a bad idea.

But what about those who were unable to vote for reasons of physical or mental incapacity, and no support to exercise their right?

This would have to be looked into if such a sanction were to be introduced.

1 Like

Have you ever thought of throwing your hat into the electoral ring and standing for a parliamentary seat?

No I don’t think a UK citizen and resident that has not voted for 15 years should lose that right.I do think that there has to be a “non of the above” vote box. I have always voted and always will but i am totally unimpressed with choices available at the moment. I do understand that you are taking your pension’s abroad so government policy can effect how much you receive but that works up and down.