Referendum(s)

This does raise the suggestion that voting should be compulsory.

Mat, i think that is a great idea. But people must be given the opportunity to vote “non of the above” or spoil the ballet paper.

1 Like

As is the case in France… :thinking:

1 Like

Have you seen this Jane?

Yes thanks. There was a previous link.
I am not hopeful, but Manny Shindler who lives in Italy and is in his nineties has been fighting for this for many years.
Let’s hope that common sense and fairness prevail.

1 Like

Tim asked “Torre, do you think that living in a country for two years should enable you to vote for the leader of that country?”
Torre’s response “Yes i do. After about 2 years you should now be part of the fabric of a new life abroad.”

Well Torre unless you apply for French nationality you won’t have the right to vote here in France ! Do you also think that after only 2 years in a foreign country you would know enough of the French way of life, admistration , politics etc; to be able to make an informed choice?

3 Likes

Yes, indeed… suddenly finding ourselves unable to vote here, is one of the downsides of not being classed as an EU citizen…

1 Like

Indeed it is I have always voted in our local elections …:frowning:

3 Likes

Thinking about it… the next local elections are in 2020… so if the Brexit deal is delayed until 2021… that will suit me just fine… :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Given the reaction to May’s statement that we might be willing to consider an extension to the transition period, if it solves the NI backstop issue I am afraid I am not hopeful thet common sense will prevail.

May is stuck between a rock and a hard place - what the EU will agree to she will find difficult or impossible to get through Parliament and vice-versa.

In fact I might almost go so far as to say she has managed to get herself into a position from which she will fail to get anything through Parliament.

That is the conclusion mentioned on a similar post.
Dominic Raab has put forward a proposal that Parliament give the government an agreement to go ahead before the final agreement, which has Dominic Grieve and all other sensible minded politicians up in arms.

Given additional time is not going to solve an unsolvable problem - it just moves the crunch decision further into the future.

2 Likes

Perhaps the pm is hoping that eventually it may no longer be her problem.

1 Like

Completely agree.

All she has to lose is her tied cottage.

1 Like

Her husband can afford to keep her v. comfortably.

1 Like

Afternoon Ann, If that is France’s rule that is the rule. Generally though yes i think after 2/3 years you should have a basic understanding of the country you now live in to be able to make a basic decision on who to vote for. Although to be fair i am sure there are native people in every country in the world that don’t have a clue after 40 years.

Actually, this is the third vote on the EU. In 1973 we voted to join, in 1975 we had a REFERENDUM to see if we wanted to remain and we did, by a large majority. Surely that was enough. We did not need another Referendum. Particularly one that was illegal, and unprepared for and unattainable.

There was no public vote to join, although parliament did vote on the issue in 1971