Regaining my a slightly more sophisticated) youth

My daughter having “borrowed” my noise cancelling, top of the range Sony headphones a couple of years ago, I discovered a pair of Sonys I liked the look of in Carrefour last week. Marked down and the same price as on Amazon (my benchmark) I took the plunge.

I’m happily siting here now and the sound is stunning, better than kit I’ve spent thousands on over the years. I was always a Led Zepplin fan :blush: but Led Zep by the London Philharmonic Orchestra on these blends my crass youth with my (even more crass) old age.

6 Likes

You might also enjoy the Ilves Sisters John…

I was lucky enough to see them, and meet them afterwards, at a conference in Tallinn - they were the evening entertainment slot - they really are sisters that play in various combinations - usually 4 or all 5 together, both classical and pop.

1 Like

every cloud has a silver lining.
The cloud of a failing Technics system has been tempered by the order of a SoundwaveIV pitching up on Wednesday and now I have to figure out the playlist to welcome it in to the house.
Currently got as far as;
Bonzo’s Montreux, Kashmir,
some (as yet unselected) Nazareth slide,
Stranglers ‘walk on by’ + others,
some crashing Faith No More,
brief respite with Yes ‘turn of the century’, maybe the whole album,
Any suggestions welcomed

1 Like

Came across the following selections in Sunday’s NYT

5 Minutes That Will Make You Love the Violin
‘We asked Hilary Hahn, John Adams, André Rieu and others to pick the music that moves them. Listen to their choices.’ Contains some unknown pieces as well as expected and unexpected choices (John Adams’ Elgar!) but all very seductive.

Similar approach for the cello from an earlier edition:-

3 Likes

Let’s try for the six flavors in Indian food (sweet, sour, pungent, bitter, salty, astringent), translated to music?

For sweetness, how about Elbow’s One Day Like This, or Yes’s Circus of Heaven might do well on your system, and for pungent/bitter/salty/astringent perhaps my favorite album is Remain in Light by Talking Heads (produced by Brian Eno). I’d suggest all of the songs on it. While ‘funky’ is not on the Indian food flavors list, Remain in Light does have that so maybe substitute it for ‘sour’.

Oh, and perhaps Frank Zappa “I’m the Slime” could be fabulously ‘sour’, actually.

Hope this makes sense. That was fun. Cheers.

How about "Alan’s psychedelic breakfast "? Marmalade, I like marmalade :sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

1 Like

now that is a new way to appreciate music, tasting it, savouring it (literally). Thanks for a whole new outlook, much appreciated.

1 Like