Regional airline Flybmi collapses blaming Brexit uncertainty

Shame - they were a good regional carrier - just no good at making money!

Here’s a trip report from just 3 days ago…

2 Likes

Perhaps those jobs won’t be counted as they mentioned the rising cost of fuel as well?

Great film, almost as good as making the actual journey. And a salutary reminder of what extraordinary value and huge privilege air-travel is, and how easy to take it for granted and grumble about minor snags and inconveniences.

PS loved the rumble of plastic valise wheels over concrete on the walkway to the departure entrance :blush::flight_departure:

Brexit uncertainty was not the main reason this company went bust, their load numbers were abysmal, the business was poorly managed and some of their routes were subsidised by the government so it was just a matter of time before this happened.

So, when Brexit is the final straw which breaks a fragile business it’s “not Brexit” at fault. Unfortunately delusion does not pay mortgages and food bills.

1 Like

Honda have just announced the planned closure of the Swindon plant. That’s pretty massive, OK they are saying “Not Brexit” officially, which does make a little sense as they are going to move all production destined for the EU back to Japan a according to the reports I have seen - however it underlines once again that if there is no economic advantage for these big multinational companies to base production in the UK they will not do so; and Brexit makes the UK a much less attractive base for European production.

1 Like

Obviously a blow to Swindon and the UK, don’t believe this is a Brexit decision as the Swindon assembly plant is the only one in Europe and car sales across the world are falling, makes total sense to move things back to Japan and is a similar strategy to what Nissan did with the X-Trail which has always been made there anyway.

You miss the point, though I thought it made it clearly enough. Honda’s decision I an sure is more to do with the recent EU-Japan trade deal than Brexit although I would not be surprised if the later affected the timing. BUT it underscores the fact that the Japanese car manufacturers are only here for economic reasons. The recent trade deal is the carrot, Brexit is the stick; expect Japanese industry and investment to leave rapidly.

The same goes for other industries - modern manufacturing runs on thin margins and frictionless supply - if Brexit makes the trading position unprofitable, or even just makes it worse than elsewhere then multinationals will leave. Maybe not overnight it there is significant infrastructure here but inexorably, inevitably, they will leave and just retain whatever small presence they need for the UK domestic market.

2 Likes

Thanks for the usual lecture Paul, no point in me contributing any further.

Would you accuse a ‘dinner party’ guest of ‘lecturing you? Probably not so please don’t do it on here either. Thanks.

2 Likes

Yes I would Cat, I’m also not the first member to note that Paul is an expert on most subjects compared to the rest of us ‘thickos’.

Feel free to delete this if you think this breaches SFN etiquette.

WTF

1 Like

Since the Oracle of Delphi fell into disrepair we do need alternatives. We affectionately call our neighbour “google” for he truly knows everything. I should add he is the most helpful person you could ever wish to meet. No offence intended.

1 Like

Please do not start my week with this shit people!

download

3 Likes

Interesting reading - whichever side of the Brexshit fence you are on, Brexit and the aeronautical industry do not appear to be a marriage made in heaven …

2 Likes

He started it Dad by telling me I was wrong!:grinning:

2 Likes

I didn’t say you were wrong, just that you missed the point I was making.

For the record I do not know everything. I have a view on a good bit of science & technology stuff because that’s the way my brain ticks. I have a view on Brexit because it is a catastrophic idea being delivered in the most damaging way to the UK - and, as I live there it is going to affect me rather directly.

11 Likes

Its a tough gig Brexit, firstly you had the visionaries on both sides, describing the journey and why it’s worth it. Show of hands please - we know the result.

That’s when it’s handed over to those charged with making it happen. Where’s the plan? We don’t have a plan. Okay let’s have a plan for a plan (classic change management water treading). We are where we are, another classic statement, there might be opportunties and consequences.

Estimates on how good or bad actuals will be are just that - which is why they are opinions. I’ve worked with stakeholders in the past who always prophesise doom, “the engines cannae take it captain”, they might be right but they might not. Everything we do should be risk based - I will concede that any public vote can be emotive and not entirely risk based but that’s true for both the outcomes. So we had a result not entirely based on risk.

The EU trades happily enough with countries which have poor human rights records, such as China and it seems to want to facilitate continued trade mechanisms with Iran. On paper it should be simple enough to conclude an agreement with the UK, based on; trade, security, defence and a shared culture. Remaining on friendly terms.

I’ve seen some commercial change programmes spend the budget without implementing anything tangible - that can’t be the case with Brexit - utimately there will need to be a new relationship and it should be designed to put coin and peoples rights in as many pockets as possible.

Prophecies of doom are not what’s needed, though some might come to pass, instead we need workable pragmatic solutions.

Ultimately I think it might come down to how much money we contribute to the EU budget and how constrained our future corporate tax strategies might be. One key outcome must always be how to preserve the status quo for those who have made lives for themselves across Europe, here, there and everywhere.

The key issue has always been that there is no way out of pax romana, maybe the UK paying generous, genuine and fair tribute for participating from beyond the wall will be enough?

It’s strange that people see the previous weakness of a business as evidence that brexit could not have been the proximate cause of collapse or closure. I wonder if they expect the strongest businesses to go first in any more general crisis?

1 Like