Regional Recipes

(Karina Driscoll) #1

My passion in life is food, so I thought it would be fun to share recipes from where we live, so to start off, I thought I would post this local Quercy soup

Pumpkin,Tomato and Red Pepper Soup ( serves 6 people )

Ingredients

1 slice of Pumpkin , about 1kg, peeled and chopped

3 large ripe Tomatoes, chopped

1 Large Red Pepper, chopped

1 Large Onion, chopped

1 Potato, chopped

2 large cloves of Garlic , finely chopped

1 and a half litres of Veg or Chicken stock

Olive Oil

Juice of half a Lemon

1 Large tablespoon Creme Fraiche

Salt and Pepper

Dried Chili flakes, to taste

Chopped Parsley to garnish.

Method

1) Heat olive oil in a large pan and then add the onion and the pepper.

2) Add the garlic, then the tomatoes, pumpkin and potato.Give all the ingredients a good stir and fry for a few minutes.

3) Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover the pan and simmer for about twenty minutes or untill the veg is cooked through.

4) Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper and chili and simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in the creme fraiche , then put in blender ( or use a hand held one ) and blend till soup is smooth.

5) Serve garnished with a swirl of cream and a sprinkling of chopped parsley and of course, lots of fresh French country bread...

Enjoy...

(Karina Driscoll) #2

Gregory many thanks for your recipe, as you know we had a liitle taste each at Victoria’s , it was divine and I will be making it this week. I miss the canned pumpkin I bought when I lived in the US, thanks for the tip about the sieve…

(Karina Driscoll) #3

" Whats the recipe today Jim ? "( are any of you old enough to remember that one ? ) , anyone know who Jim is ?
Todays recipe is

Rabbit in Red Wine with Agen Prunes
Serves 6

Oven 160 Gas mark 3

Ingredients
50g Butter
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
100g lardons
2 gloves crushed garlic
1 / 2 rabbits jointed ( depending on size )
seasoned plain flour
300ml red wine
300ml stock
Bouquet garnie
12 Agen prunes ( without stones )
Salt and freshly ground pepper.
Chopped Parsley to garnish

1 ) Melt the butter and oil in a large saucepan and add the vegetables , lardons and Garlic. Fry gently, stirring until pale brown. Transfer the vegetables and lardons to a large ovenproof casserole , using a slotted spoon.

1. Joint the rabbits ( In France , please remove head !, I hate that bit ! )

2. Coat the joints in seasoned flour , put a little olive oil and butter in a frying pan and fry them till until browned ( in France you get all !!!, I love the liver and kidneys, and fry them too, I add some to the casserole and some for me !!! Chef’s treat ! )
    Transfer to the casserole dish .

3. Pour in the red wine and stock, add the bouquet garni , Agen prunes and cover, cook in a preheated oven for 1 and a half hours or until rabbit is tender.

4. Remove rabbit joints to a serving dish and keep warm. Check the sauce for seasoning, remove bouquet garni( sauce can be reduced ) and pour sauce over the rabbit.

5. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve…

We have enjoyed this simple dish many times, very good served with potato and celeriac mash…

(Karina Driscoll) #4

One to try out, Thanks Chris, I also did know about about the eggs., I do have trouble with my daughter re peppers !!!

Now James, please post flat breads and naan bread !!!

(PETER DRISCOLL) #5

Karina makes a wonderful Tiramisu and when I first heard of Gregory’s dish I was somewhat skeptical. I mean who has ever heard of Pumkin in the dish!
My skepticism lasted all of one mouthful!
Give this recipe a whirl because not only is it different, it tastes great!
Thanks for posting!

(Gregory John Orr) #6

Well, Karina, since pumpkin is the theme, I submit a pumpkin tiramisu recipe that I adapted. I apologize in advance for American non-metric measurements (you can find measurement converters on line) but it still tastes good.

PUMPKIN TIRAMISU

1 1/2 cups chilled whipping cream
3/4 cup sugar
1 container mascarpone cheese
1 lb. of cooked or canned pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg
1 loaf of pain d’epices
1/4 cup amaretto (or armagnac)
2 ounces crushed amaretti cookies*

preparation

Beat whipping cream and sugar until peaks form. Add mascarpone cheese, pumpkin, and spices; beat just until filling is smooth.

Line bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with a layer of sliced pain d’epices, overlapping and crowding to fit. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons amaretto. Spread half of filling over the pain d’epices.

Repeat with slices of pain d’epices, remaining 2 tablespoons amaretto, and remaining filling. Smooth. Wrap tightly in plastic, then foil. Chill overnight.

To unmold, run knife around inside edge of pan. Release pan sides; sprinkle with amaretti cookies.

NB Americans traditionally use canned, packed pumpkin which has most of the moisture taken out of it. If you choose to make your own puree, you might want to put the cooked pumpkin in a sieve to allow some of the moisture out. Otherwise you risk creating a rather soupy tiramisu.

(Catharine Higginson) #7

I never knew it had eggs in - will try it!

I think you should all demand the magic recipe for James’ flat breads and naan bread!!!

(Chris George) #8

Here’s one form deep in the Basque Country. A good way to get peppers and tomatoes into your kids. This is difficult if your kid is just 3 months old but not impossible. Also, it is not a very quick dish and if you don’t like it then it’s because you’ve done it wrong.

Piperade (serves 4)

Ingredients

3 Red peppers - washed, pips and white extracted and chopped into thin slices
3 Red onions - finely chopped into slices
3 cloves of garlic - finely choped
3 “Corne de Boeuf” Peppers (optional) - as for red pepper
5/6 Tomatoes - cut into slices
sugar - pinch
4 eggs
pepper
piment d’espelette/cayenne pepper (optional)
Jambon de Bayonne/Ham/Ventreche/Nothing
Parsley

Method

1. Fry the onion and garlic on a low heat and put to one side once done.
  2. Put red peppers into a pan on a high heat with a bit of oil and cover. Stir from time to time and add water to stop them sticking or burning. Once they are soft take them out and put them to one side.
  3. Fry the “Corne de Boeuf” peppers in the same way as the red peppers and put to one side once done.
  4. Now place the tomatoes into the pan (still on a high heat) with a little oil to stop them sticking. After 10 mins of cooking or when it is time to turn them take off the skin. Once all the water has evaporated mash them and add the sugar. one side
  5. Add to the pan everything that is in reserve.
  6. Beat the eggs in a bowl, add them to pan and stir. Season to taste and add piment d’espelette and parsley.

Piperade is traditionally served on a slice of jambon de bayonne but is good just as it is. If you put it onto any bacon/ham be aware that it is salty.

(Karina Driscoll) #9

come on James, you must have a recipe !!!

(James Higginson) #10

Excellent Karina, thanks, I like the way this is going and would love to see more recipes.

James

(Karina Driscoll) #11

Hi everyone,
Post anything, however simple !. I do have another one to post tomorrow. This will be with our lovely Agen prunes…

(Catharine Higginson) #12

Right, I’m going to unpack my blender tomorrow from the 200 or so boxes that still need to be tackled, post move and make some. Sounds delicious and I love home made soup. Thanks for posting! C x

(PETER DRISCOLL) #13

I Know I am biased…But it is good!!