Reminders - useful dates

I’ll start things rolling:

27/28th October… clocks go BACK one hour Saturday night…

31st - Halloween - ghosts and ghoulies…

1st November- Jour de Ferié: Toussaint - the French will be honouring their dearly departed and the cemeteries will be awash with flowers…

November 11th - the 100th anniversary of the signing the Armistice.

2 Likes

When we lived in Yorkshire our neighbours brother died in the Iraq war, it brings home the reality. He is the most recent name on the memorial in the village church.

I was going to be in the area on the 11th but now I have to go up there earlier. At least I should be able to get near to the Carrefour later this week as I imagine it will be impossible on the 11th.

27th october is Diwali

Can you can tell us what is planned for Diwali in your part of France… :thinking:

The lady from whom we bought the house, Christiane, has asked if she can bring her nephew to see what we have done.
We will leave the chrysanths out on the balcony until they have gone and then bring them in!

2 Likes

Maybe the last time we change the clocks…

Well the temple is actually in Switzerland, although it’s only 40 miles away.

My reminders are really aimed at those living here in France… but Switzerland is welcome too… :relaxed:

Errm…? We go to Switzerland a lot as Geneva is actually easier for us to get to than Lyon and has a more international cultural aganda. You don’t seem to comment when people talk about nipping over the border to spain, so why is my geographic locus any different? I know SFN is dominated by the south west and west, but I didn’t think that was exclusive. If I’m not welcome here then say so.

Sorry Jane… I did not mean to offend/upset or whatever… I was simply putting down the “local” dates that folk might forget…not thinking of those who touch other countries… my error.

It is a great idea to have everyone’s “local” dates… but a little more info is also a great idea…

How is Diwali celebrated… ???

Hello Jane
I honestly don’t see anything in Stella’s post that you could take exception to.
I am sure that you are more than welcome here, as are all of us who contribute to SF, from whatever region/department we happen to live in.
Life is too short to nitpick, lets enjoy the celebrations that are special to us wherever we may be. :slight_smile:
Plus I had to look up what Diwali was all about, no shame in that as it’s not something I have come across before!

2 Likes

Payment Dates…:thinking::thinking: Taxe d’Hab and Taxe Foncière…

Just reminding folk… keep an eye on the balance of your account, for when the Direct Debits hit…

KIWI - harvesting… (check if you are expecting the frost and snow forecast for some areas this weekend…)

Heard from my neighbour (who is the local Kiwi King)… that by Toussaint the fruits will be as ripe as they will get in our climate… and therefore I should pick them no later than the weekend… 3rd/4th November…this year… rather than risk having them damaged by an unexpected frost…

Just saying… :wink:

(@Peter_Goble… I thought of you when he spoke with me… perhaps you can check with your neighbours if this advice applies in your area) :relaxed::relaxed:

Mind you, this same neighbour informs me that Summer ends on 15 August… :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

UPDATE
(******** midday… and Neighbour has changed his tune and is suddenly picking the kiwi fruit like there is no tomorrow…)