Remote control of house electronics - How?

Evening All,

One for those who are technically savvy - which I am definitely NOT!

I would like to control my heating system remotely from the UK - specifically to turn on the power supply and turn it off when not needed. It is a basic boiler system controlled by a mechanical timer fed by a typical 240v plug. Nothing complicated in that when we are there to deal with it.

Does anyone here have any advice or recommendation as to products I can take a look at that would allow me to switch on and switch off from my computer or phone in the UK?

Cheers!!

Almost anything like this (random illustrative product, not a recommendation).

https://www.amazon.fr/meross-Intelligente-Compatible-SmartThings-Programmable/dp/B085RLZ7GT

1 Like

I suspect nothing will work from afar once the power in your home goes down from a circuit break in a storm Do as we all did stick antifreeze in the radiators turn off the water, leave the taps open drain the toilet header tank, clear the U bends in the toilet and all is well, why waste money on an empty home

Possibly because you might be planning a visit and would like the place warm for your arrival.

You do need to keep your router powered up and Wi-Fi on which is one downside.

1 Like

My smart plugs and my smart thermostat send a message 30 mins after a power outage or router power down.
Very useful for fridge freezer and central heating.

Either that or a text message to turn things on but still requires a sim card subscription.

Possibly because you might be planning a visit and would like the place warm for your arrival.

Are you having a larf how much does that cost for one warm night as for wifi connections I had to reset a friends box 4 times a week last year because of power interruptions and call in a plumber as the central heating failed from power surges

How do they work without electricity

I believe a small internal battery or capacitor sufficient to last 30mins and send a message.
They also power up when power is restored and confirm their on-line status.

1 Like

And how does it turn it back on the freezer and central heating

Answered with an edit before you posted

Thanks for all the responses.

As for outages - yes, we have them but our router automatically powers up again when the power is restored.

The reason I was looking into a system like this is so that we can control an element of heating for the house whilst we are not there to avoid any damp problems. Currently, my mother-in-law pops in to set the heating going around the end of November (it is switched off entirely for the summer) but, at 84, this is getting to be an imposition on her. Additionally, with the cost of oil these days, I want to have more control over whether the heating kicks in or not depending upon the forecast temperature that day or evening. Currently, once the system is switched on, it will run and heat according to the mechanical timer - I said it was a very basic, and old, system! - so I just want an element of independent control.

I will purchase one of these smart sockets and try it out when we get back there over Christmas - if it works it could save us a penny or two on oil.

Many of my friends had electric dehumidifiers with a tube into a sink over winter they worked well until a electrical interruption then I locally went around and fired them up again

1 Like

Well if you are looking for problems in any solution you’ll find them. The best is the enemy of the good, as Voltaire wrote :slightly_smiling_face:

We have a lot of control over our house when we’re away and if an full electricity outage occurs we know we can ask our neighbour to reset. Between Apple Home, Amazon (surveillance) and YoLink (leak detection) devices our place is, apart from a UPS, bullet proof. Touch wood.

It seems and I know you can observe from a distance but you need feet on the ground

A smart thermostat allows you to set heat temperature, prgramme schedules etc which a smart plug will not let you do. A modern dehumidifier running R290 refrigerent will keep the place dry and cost far less to run if damp is your issue, heating just keeps the damp in the warm air, without ventilation the moisture will just condense again when the heating goes off and the dew point is reached.

1 Like