Removal of the 15 limit on Registering to vote for British Elections

So do you advocate following Queensbury rules in a street fight?

Mike, why would you want to even ask, or compare the two? Two wrongs do not make a right.

"The Britain that is going to be forged in the white heat of this revolution."

Though I have the feeling that all of them got in, made a mess of things, sold some family silver to get re-elected and eventually got thrown out. Trouble is they don't stay in power long enough to have to take responsibility for their earlier mistakes.

Can probably roll with that, Mike, although the last "real" Labour admin was pretty bad, Callaghan etc. I keep remembering Harold Wilson's time for some reason, must be rosey spectacles :p

My disillusionment goes back to Thatcher.
Then we had the rather nice Mr. Major. He had a disconcerting habit of asking people what they thought and taking their views into account. So they decided he didn't have the qualities of a leader and got rid of him. Since then, it has all been downhill........

I last had the wish to give the UK a chance when the Bliar got elected. Sold down the river from then on. My missus was always poking at me to "go French" to get the status as a fonctionnaire "titulaire" instead of a "contractuel". I kept saying "no, no, I'm European, they (the French) will do the right thing". It's an involved story, I had it out with Véro Langlands a few weeks ago, but basically the high admin didn't want furriners in the top catégories, so my pension is a lot lower than it would have been if I'd been titularised as the law (in theory) required. Anyroad, if they do do this referendum and the Kippers swing it, then "go French" it will be.

I have had everything in place for having Swiss nationality for almost a decade. I refrained from using it because I still wanted to give the UK a chance. I feel the UK has let me down on several counts, now the broken promises thrown to the Scots as bait have completely disillusioned me but otherwise would have respected the outcome of the referendum. With regard to the EU referendum, numerically we are far too few to make a dent in that and if they decide to get out we will be sold down the river anyway. I am appalled by the disingenuous manner in which people are treated anyway, so am almost complacent to the fate they make for themselves.

Just today there was a mention in the "Dauphiné Libéré" of something that had been voted in September ; simplifying obtention of French nationality if you are over 65 and have at least one child of French nationality, with proof of constant residence for 25 years ; in a year I can go for this :

http://www.ledauphine.com/politique/2014/09/12/acces-a-la-nationalite-facilite-pour-les-immigres-ages-vegf

Imagine a situation where you decide to return to the UK and live with a friend or relative. You put your name on the electoral register, but the following day you fall out with your host over a pot of yogurt that went missing from the fridge and beat a hasty retreat back to your holiday home in France. Does that break any law? Would that be as politically immoral as including the TOM in calculating winter temperatures in France?
Just asking - not advocating........

Carol,
It isn’t so simple. My life as an expat UK pensioner is very much affected by decisions made by the UK government. But it also makes sense for me to be able to vote for my local Maire, because that affects my immediate environment. When it comes to a referendum to decide whether the UK is going to leave the EU, that could could have far-reaching repercussions for all of us.

Mike, another thing about democracy is that we have the right to disagree. I have burned my boats with England and Wales. When the damage is repaired after the hateful unionist campaign and Scotland rightfully gains independence then I might find a way... Probably not because I do not live there.

You are actually advocating by suggestion Mike. No, it is not in the electoral laws therefore I would not do it, apart from my preference to vote elsewhere, preferably here since I live here. Democracy does not advocate divisiveness although it does not specifically bar it. However, I prefer good ethics and honesty.

Carol, as of next week I shall only have my sister and nephew in the UK. Neither are absolutely certain they wish to stay. My nephew is of mixed blood, thus does not have a European complexion and is getting fed up with racist taunts and the fact that Anglo-Saxons get the promotion at work he has been long due.

So. there you have it. Because I believe in democracy I have every right NOT to wish to vote in the UK, you may criticise me as one of your own rights, but I choose not to wish to be persuaded under any circumstances. I live in France, I like France, I wish to vote here. I have two out of three votes and will continue to campaign for the full set here.

White man speak with forked tongue!

Not sure I "advocated" it, just mentioned the possibility...... ;-)

Jane.

With you 100%. We will soon have a referendum that could well be decided on the whim of the American, Murdoch, that could render us expats effectively stateless if we have been abroad 15 years. Meantime they are allowing their "robber baron" mates to get away with billions in exported profits on which they pay no tax, while robbing old folks of a few sticks to throw on the fire at Christmas!

Mike, how can we criticise politicians for their lack of integrity if we behave like them ourselves?
I cannot seriously believe that you are advocating such a course of action.

Brian,
It seems that local councils are fairly lax about registration. If you have a friend living in your chosen constituency, you could just bowl in to the town hall and tell them you live at his address and get on the electoral roll. Later, you could write to them and apply to be an overseas voter. Not a bad idea to choose a marginal constituency where your vote could actually make a difference.

I heard on the Sunday Programme on radio 4 this morning that the DWP has rubbished a report on the reason that people use food banks. It criticised the DWP for being so slow in providing the benefits to which people were entitled, so that they had to use food banks to to be able to eat.
Those referred to food banks have to be referred by a social worker, doctor or similar person, so they were, in fact, refusing to face the facts that these professional people have provided.
I know that this thread is about the 15 year rule, but how can we vote out disgisting people like IDS when we have no vote?

John Alcock, I had a similar 'dispute' with the Swansea Labour MP, that city being where we lived for five years prior to coming here. I was so outraged I wrote to the electoral register people in Swansea demanding I be removed forthwith. If I wanted to re-register it would still have to be Swansea which I will not have. If I did want then I would prefer to register in the constituency where I was resident for a bit over 30 years, despite never having voted for the MP, his party or ever intending to. At least I would be on 'home' territory and have a few good friends to stir into action.

However, I have burned my bridges and now I am as actively as one campaigning for a vote where I live. If any effects of the kipper phenomenon or any other Europhobia sees the UK leave the EU I shall simply change my nationality, for which I qualify in two countries, in order to avoid being part of a country I have turned my back on. I know people disagree but then that is one of the sides of democracy people do not like, dissent is allowed and dissenters are rarely quiet.

Carol,
It should be a fundamental human right to be able to have a vote. People have thought that was something worth dying for and some still do. If you don't have a vote in your country of residence, then where else other than the country where you are a citizen?
As a UK pensioner, I should be able to have my say about decisions made in the country where my income comes from.

Done - and forwarded to everyone too. I think the 15 year rule is a slap in the face with a wet kipper to all Brits living abroad.

I have no intention of going back to the UK to live but, like many others of you out there, I have friends and rellies there who I care about. Also, for those folks who may, one day, decide to return, it would seem prudent to do your bit to keep the good stuff up and running and in good health - like the NHS, for instance.

I don't want to get into a big rant about politics right here and now as I'm a bit busy at the mo, but I do not like the direction things are going over there at present and have been doing everything I can to say so.

And YES, Mike, totally agree, if you don't make some effort to stand up for what you think is right, then you deserve what you get.