Renovation

Last time i looked at My site, they had big tins of similar product to Hammerite. Dont remember the name, but as i say, the guy speaks English. I painted my gates with it 5 years ago, and they remain as good as the day i did it.

I have used a French equivalent to Hammerite and it’s lasted extremely well. When I can face going into the extremely cold barn (probably tomorrow), I’ll check the name…

1 Like

I can recommend Rust-oleum Combi colour which I use in preference Hammerite after they changed the formula. All because of those interfering EU parliment lot.

I dont know whether anybody has mentioned it, but if you have made changes to the building, you will be re-assessed for Taxe Fonciere. To fill the form in, it is best to know what were the figures before the changes (the previous owners may have verred on the conservative side), otherwise, you could be in for a nasty surprise.

Since I can now buy the run-down old barn wrapped around the side and rear of my house, I’m going to measure it up and draw up a few ideas how best to make use of it. But first thing is to know exactly the square meterage of existing wall & floor surfaces.

I have measuring tapes & ladders but my aching back is crying out I think for a digital measuring device, one which I can read without reading glasses – they invariably fall off or get in the way!

I’m looking up the top 10 on the market, but first wonder if anyone has used one – any good?

1 Like

Yes wouldnt be without it and newer ones are much cleverer doing calcs for you. Of course i would prefer a lidar unit.

Sounds interesting. Is this the technology used to map Roman catacombs and suchlike in 3D that we see on TV?

Yes it is, and they build lidar into some mobile phones and tablet pc’s. Had one survey carried out this week and previously McAlpines carried several building surveys which was the first time I saw it in real use.

1 Like

Came across a Bosch GLM C Professional Bluetooth Laser measuring device - right up my street - it can take and apply dimensions to plans, photos of walls, windows and doors etc on a mini-iPad.

Will investigate – I’m a gadget man as well as a retired architect!

Another toy to play with!

2 Likes

as well as a retired architect!

Are you bored? Would you be interested in an ideas run by for a family who has lived in a difficult barn for 7 years and become paralysed and unable to make any decisions meaning we still live in a barn :rofl: :cry: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: ???

1 Like

Not sure I understand what you are saying – do you mean you’re looking for ideas as to how best to make better use of the difficult shape of the barn you are living in?

If you are then I’m sorry – I’m in the same sort of situation, and I tend to get so engrossed in trying to sort out one problem, with tunnel vision, to the detriment of other things which also need doing.

I can’t multitask.

However, why not post a plan of your barn with problems raised and I’m sure I, and others, could come up with helpful and hopefully fresh new ideas. In the past I would ask for a brief, your brief, setting out your desires and wishes. Your brief is important. Set out your brief with your family. What is it you want?

Part of your brief should include space in your living room for a mini dance floor with a tripod and video camera set up, with a computer screen blasting out your shuffle dance instructor’s music and demonstrations. Don’t forget to include that… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:!!!

6 Likes

I’m open to helping if I can. One detailed sentence or sentences, that can sum up your principal anguish(es) would be a start….?

2 Likes

@toryroo
I’ll give it a go too. I can create a 3D BIM model, so you can share it with others for more ideas. An SF collective project. :house_with_garden:

4 Likes

One thing missing from my skill set, will find time to learn BIM 3D modelling at some point.

Thanks Bonzo and @Wozza . We have our son here this week so will get onto it next week. :smile:

This is about a third of the barn, wrapped around the side and the rear of my house, which I now own at long last, and can make a start with some much-needed improvements, which are many after eight years of neglect. This looks good compared what it looks like now - so very much worse!

I have watched my neighbour in happier days treading the grapes in a smaller barrel than these two big oval shaped barrels – not sure what these two were used for.

If they are in reasonable condition, I can see them in my mind’s eye planted with something exotic, but don’t really know how expensive renovation/repair of the barrels might be.

Is cooperage around in France? Would renovation be expensive, anyone?

Loads of tonneliers around in Gironde. Look in the yellow pages, I imagine they are fairly expensive, certainly new ones are, but really I have no idea. There’s a lot more to barrels than you might think.

1 Like

I am now the owner of this ruin - hooray! Now have to begin clearing away the vegetation, as shown in photos – a right mess! Including moving fallen beams and setting aside 2 large oak barrels.

What would be a reasonable cost for clearing away such a mess? I have no idea!

I’ve been told that this will take 2 days.

A friend suggested 100 euros a day, but I’m prepared to pay more.

1 Like

Oh what fun! I love “a project”. :grinning: Good luck with all of this.

2 Likes

I’ve agreed a price of 450 euros - 2 days work - to clear away the mess so that I can see what I’m up against - through ‘allovoisins’ where I found someone local who does this kind of work. More convenient than ringing around.

I’ll keep a photo record as work progresses - to whatever end.

I have grown so used to the tranquility of where I live, I selfishly bought this ‘to keep others out’…!

4 Likes