Replacing stair covering

Our house is of mostly concrete construction and flooring. The stairs to first floor are currently covered with a thick vinyl ( house wa sbuilt in 70’s and pretty much everything is as it was built ) - each step has its own piece cut and there is a think black vinyl/pvc anti slip edge on each step.

It’s started to peel badly and is a bit of a hazard so want to get it sorted asap. I can or could cut and glue the vinyl myself but am struggling to find any local suppliers of the edging I need - nez de marche. Seems its possible to buy new wooden step covers to glue down which look great but the stairs have an awkward turn and bottom and top so they wont work… any ideas peeps?

Something like this, Nez de marche profilé d’escalier PBC, pvc stair nosing.

Our local Point Vert has strips of ridged aluminium edging for stairs - you can buy 3m at a time. It’s rather like some of the items a bit further down the page on @Griffin36’s link above. I’ve used it for precisely the purpose you mention, @stephenm as it covered dodgy vinyl neatly. Might be more versatile than the wooden edging? It’s certainly robust enough!

Could you tile the steps?

In our final UK house, I covered a badly worn (250 year old) interior sandstone staircase with tumbled travertine tiles, which are non- slip, easy to cut precisely and one can round-off the outside edge.

A lot nicer than plastic edging, but in a Seventies house, tumbled travertine might look a bit faux, so some other stone that’s not too polished would be better.

1 Like

Are you any good at carpentry? My friend and I covered our steps, all shapes in oak |" thick both risers and treads. Finished in quality marine varnish the staircase looked amazing when finished and was well worth the effort.
Good luck. Happy New Year.