Retire , move to france

Ann, I am really sorry to hear of your experiences and hope that you complained about both if you felt that you were able (sometimes too close to home, I know).

Ultimately any health service is capable of letting individuals down and sometimes the problems are deeper - witness Mid Staffs and the Gosport War Memorial but the modern NHS is more wiling to examine these failures and learn from them than it was in the past.

Up until 2007 I think we could be rightly proud of most of the NHS, since then I think the funding has been squeezed a bit too much and Brexit may lead to real problems getting enough skilled staff but I suspect that we are probably on par with the French system for the most part - just that we have different views on how to approach healthcare.

And either system is better than the shambles that is healthcare in the US!

1 Like

I went through lots of horrific experiences with the NHS in England and I did complain but it got me nowhere because they are powerful and know how to cover their tracks.

A lot of people would be surprised at my stories and it is sad to think it all really happened.
Yes one of the reasons why I came to France.

2 Likes

Would the assurance vie be recommended then ?

Hello, As others have said, …It depends what you regard as an acceptable standard of living…and whether you want or are able to work. Do you have much experience of France ? Here is my checklist of things to do before venturing to view properties…

1. Weather requirements…Are you like me ‘rain phobic’…If so you will want to steer clear of Brittany or any where north of a latitude of say, La Rochelle …north of that the weather is very similar to the UK…
  2. Do your homework…research the departments fully re climate and terrain and the economy, activities etc and then start to line up some viewings…
  3. Property is much cheaper in some areas than others…The Charentes is a lot cheaper than most of the Dordogne for instance…
  4. Don’t overestimate your practical renovation skills…getting in professionals is about 3 times as expensive as it is in the UK.
  5. If you don’t intend to farm, don’t make a common mistake and buy something with too much land…it will cost you money to maintain if your health isn’t up to it… Don’t buy something too rural if you are ‘townies’.
  6. Renting a place for a couple of months whilst you travel to view properties (drive yourself it is fun and a good way to see France)…Take your time and don’t rush into a purchase. If you make a mistake it will cost you and property in France (especially ones that need work),take far longer to sell than the renovated or new properties, because the French in general, are not interested, they see them as a potential ‘money pit’…
    Good luck with it all…
2 Likes

Is it only French residents that can apply for an AV ?

Good grief… how many times have we been told that ‘lessons will be learned’.

1 Like

I feel the heath care system here in France, is far superior to my (& my family’s) bad experiences over the years with the UK NHS in a variety of hospitals in different areas and disciplines(In retrospect we should have sued)…from badly botched operations, hospital acquired infection, fractured arm of my disabled mother who was dropped by an ambulance man at the hospital, lack of proper follow up care, …as well as several blood tests (mine), lost inexplicably in some sort of ‘Bermuda triangle’ of a Phlebotomy department…

I like the fact that when one has scans/ blood tests one is given a hard copy of the results, so that one can do a bit of research oneself, before going back to the Doctor…far better than everything being ‘shrouded in mystery’…because one is a mere ‘pleb’, rather than being medically qualified…

I have had a couple of stays in hospital, here in the Dordogne and I continue to be impressed with the cleanliness and professionalism of the medical staff here…Gone are the numerous bad attempts to put in a cannula…In France they have been trained how to do this properly…A small thing , but very telling…

3 Likes

As long as incidents happen which will be as long as the NHS (or any other healthcare provider) renders service…

Every time there is an incident with an aircraft, even relatively minor, an investigation ensues and often practice changing recommendations are made. I don’t hear a (lot of) “when are air crashes going to stop”.

That said I wish the NHS understood the model rather than paying lip service to it - but there is definitely more willingness to learn from problems.

1 Like

Chris,

It’s good to know these guideline amounts, but as a single person with all my outgoings on direct debit. amounting to around 700 euros a month, including my new top up insurance of 75 euros, I would say these figures underestimate the bills. Food is not included…

1 Like

No t an easy analogy to make Paul;
The AAIB are meticulous in their investigations and there are many factors which come into play in respect of a reportable aircraft accident/serious incident.
Except in the case of a death (where the reporting process often takes 12 months) recommendations are usually promulgated with statutory backing fairly swiftly but, as has been seen of late, it can take years for Government to accept that there is a problem in the NHS and then many years thereafter to reach conclusions which often are merely advisory and not carrying the full weight of legislation.

The NHS likes to draw the analogy, especially where doctors are concerned.

My main point was that no human endeavour is perfect and never will be - the main thing is that one learns from mistakes and today’s NHS does at least try; a bit. In the 70’s something like Mid Staffs or the Gosport War Memorial would, indeed, have been very thoroughly covered up - in fact the latter might not even have been seen to be wrong.

Fair point.

The problem (as I see it) is that the NHS talks about the Air Accident Investigation process but does not understand it so small things are not really investigated and there is still a tendency to want to find a scapegoat if possible for the bigger problems - this can particularly be seen in the Bawa-Garba case where the systematic failures in the support this junior doctor received to be able to do her job safely and competently (of which it sounds she was more than capable) are being swept under the carpet and she and a single nurse are pretty much being made to carry the can for the whole affair.

It is right that there should be public outcry regarding all of the incidents I have mentioned and the result should (slowly) be a better NHS. 30 years ago all would have been hushed up so I think some progress is being made in terms of transparency. However it needs to be handled carefully - your “Good grief” comment is understandable but it needs to be moderated or we’ll go back to everyone hushing up mistakes.

Of course fixing these problems requires resources which is pretty hard at the moment in the current NHS. Equally let us not loose signt of the fact that the NHS provides care to millions of the UK population every year and, for the most part, that care is good.

1 Like

Thank you, Jane - I’ve already had a consultation with a lovely guy from Blevins Franks, so it’s all under control! :slight_smile:

Hi Mick - I intend to open an AV because I want my money to work for me, not just sit there getting smaller. If you invest what you have left after your French house purchase then it should (in time) provide you with a small income. I’m sure there are lots of financial companies in France who will help you - everyone will recommend their own favourite - but I’ve found Colin Leigh-Higgott of Blevins Franks to be extremely helpful and informative (he covers Limousin, where my pile of stones is). I’m not sure whether an AV can be started before you’re resident in France, but I do know that, as it’s held in Switzerland and can be in Euros or GBP, if you return to the UK, you don’t have to close it. Hope that helps…

My monthly fixed costs on direct debit are around €250…(Brittany)

Taxe fonciere and Taxe d’habitation (plus tv licence) : €42
Electric: €40
Phone line and unlimited internet: €40
Water: €8
Car Insurance: €41
House Insurance €21
Mutuelle top up insurance included as I have the quote but still waiting for my Carte Vitale…
Breakdown cover: €15… for my French registered uk car that has now been scrapped so I can now cancel this…

My home is all electric but I only used the electric heaters sparingly the first winter I was here when it dropped below minus…I now have paraffin heaters and in my opinion they do a much better job at providing instant and direct heat…(along with me adding as many layers of clothes as necessary to stay warm when we really go well below minus as I spend a lot of time outdoors with my Collies…)

Healthcare wise I have never had cause to visit…but I can say the same about uk too as it had been many years since I had any personal reason to go to a doctor or hospital…

I can’t say the same about my mom in uk as several recent hospitalisations have showed an inconsistency of care verging on incompetent and negligent in some departments (namely A&E) to absolutely superb once out of A&E…

2 Likes

We were advised to open our AV before we left UK. If you do not withdraw from the fund for eight years it gives you tax advantages, particularly with regard to inheritance.

Hi Michael,
Yes, it’s doable. that is basically what we are doing. We can talk if you need support. 07 82 89 98 88

Ciao.

1 Like

“must be old”, that almost put me off replying, but just in case you can be influenced, our experience of an old property in France was that it forever needed something else doing, and more money spent, so we sold it and bought a half acre plot and built a house. Best decision ever!
Of course there are good old and bad old, but it is often said by builders and others in the know that it’s cheaper and easier to knock it down and start again!! Depends on the start point of course, but quality restored properties that suit ones requirements can be very expensive.
We are in the Dordogne, not too far from Limoges, and the climate is the main reason for deciding on the location, definitely worth the extra remoteness and travel from the UK!
Good luck
Paul

2 Likes

Like Paul, we bought a parcel of land in the Charente and built a maison neuve which suits our requirement (or rather what we thought would suit sometime in the future). We built a bungalow using wood panels.
For us, it was also the best decision ever.
Turned out to be spot on as a short time after completion I experienced a number of life changing health issues meaning that life in an old stone two or more storey house would have been impossible for us to live in.
Sometimes you have to think outside the box, as it were.

2 Likes

Good post and especially the points about be realistic about what you expect from life - if you either have a guardian angel or take time and spend a good while finding somewhere modest and affordable in a good location, then being sure that you can live within your budget etc. Like Sue and Kev we nearly got caught with a !00k underpinning job, but our guardian angel led us to somewhere far better! I feel that the TV programmes give people unrealistic expectations of living the dream!

2 Likes

Why not make your own jam? This summer I’ve made apricot, strawberry, raspberry, plum, peach and fig. You could also consider baking yr own bread. My neighbour lets me have farm eggs for E2 per dozen. She gives us tomatoes, and courgettes and a salad or two. I buy special dog food for her sick dog. I’m not suggesting that any of this will seriously improve yr budget, But eating off the country, bartering, and swapping favours is part of the point of living in the French countryside. Check the budget of local people. It’s half of the average expat’s.