Retired? but you're so young

crumbs if I 'd have realised how many page views this would have received I would have rit it betta...gone thro' the roof since the 'worth a read' recommendation this morning. Thank you SFN!

There is a moral ...think young-stay young....prime example:

Dear Brian Milne, 64, brain the size of a Planet, mentality of a kid!...apart, of course when it comes to his Sterling Children's Charity work and any injustice! He too, works tirelessly, 12 hours a day, seven days a week, Brian. I Salute you!

So ask him what his secret is! or call here if you want any tips on how to LIVE TO A THOUSAND

Cheers All

hhhmmm memory loss is as much a problem as hair-loss....the later is automatic tho', tends to happen on your 50th birthday, when overnight all the 'bikini' area drops off...but re-appears in your nose and ears the very next day...making a sturdy and resilient comb-over quite easy to accomplish with discretely placed Velcro pads to keep it in place....you don't wanna look like a complete Berk, do yo?

Hi Emily, sounds like to you have your work cut out for you in any event, and a tad of Mid Life crisis to boot. Security, is important for everyone, perhaps more so when traditional ideaolgies come into play, not a lot one can do about that, I guess.

Setting up a business, especially if it's niche, is a great way to focus, develop self worth, which in turn feeds back to success, perhaps something online' may suit well...if you have other responsibilities.

Often wondered if one should simply set up a concise emailing to hotels, companies etc offering a fixed price 'translation' of say, French web sites, into decent English, would be an idea.

It surprises me how many French sites, who have potential English Speaking customers, rely on Auto translate...resulting in utter drivel. They only need the one fix. There are some smart free email services and templates available, one would have to take the risk of of offending, but to hi-light errors, and their potential dangers, could evoke a response. Where are your potential clients? all over the www.

Something you could test market, to assess response before deciding to go official perhaps?

Hi Emily, yes, having a little dosh is a sound way to 'enjoy' France, especially as la Barrière, seems always to be down pour nous, if you are seeking employment.

Unless it's seasonal, the cost of employing 'anyone' here are, as we know is prohibititive. Myself, if I could afford to sustain myself, I would always plump for 'charity work' rather than dead end salad washer. At least if you are offering your services you are 'networking, seeing people, being recommended, etc. rather than just a dungeon dwelling gofer!

I have employed hundreds of people over the years, the most successful and loyal have been those knocking on the door saying 'gis a job!'...I often started people 'same day'....one guy stayed with the firm for 10 years and became a highly respected Studio Manager.

If you took a serious view, you'd have to admit that the chances of being taken on are pretty slim. I'd work towards setting up as an AE and 'create' and fill that niche...online translations, freelance tour guide, resto critic/Blogger, Anglo- French website translator, whatever.

Don't forget 40 is the new 30....everything to gain and nothing to loose...go for it!

Good luck

Hi Nick, ha ha no relation. Just dug this out tho' Ronnie Biggs never been to Biggleswade or Birkenhead lol

How come? I'm often asked, @ the age you are do you still look so spritely, full of Vim, Vigour and other household cleaning agents, yet still have the mentality of a child? It's the latter that 's the key! View the world through the eyes of a child, enquiring, enthused, creative, tireless, fearless...all these the that we are born with , which are sadly chiselled away bit by bit in 'real' life till you are nowt but a grey and withered husk.

Keep asking, keep thinking, keep learning, keep loving...but above all stay true to yourself. There is no point setting your own moral benchmark, if you break your own rules, how's that going to rub off of others? I don't steal things, probably quite uncool now-a-days, and I have been relieved of many chattels in my life, but if they are going to break in and grab...I'd rather they knocked on the door and asked me for it. I'd probably let them have it, dig out the instruction manual, and show them how it worked. This is a trait I inherited from my Mother, her potted version of the Eastern Philosophers' 'give and don't take' does work....Karma.

There is only two things in the is world I detest, greed and injustice...It does get me, this hunger to acquire stuff, stuff...nothing on this planet, from ruck-sack to mobile phone is created from nothing, everything we own comes from star dust, plankton, clay, slime, gold, whatever, all stuff we find lying about, or which has growed..or been nurtured is re-fashioned into other stuff! and will eventually return to ashes and dust...we're just borrowing it in the meantime.

So why anyone would pretend to be a Samaritan just to split someone's sac à dos, to relieve them of their communicator or consul or whatever it was, gets me...what did they get? 8 years? not anywhere near enough.

Eternal youth? Talk to your children, give don't take, stand up for your rights, live life, love God, that is all.

Is Ronald Birks a pseudonym for Ronald Briggs ? Wondered what happened to him and his millions ! Ever been to Biggleswade Ron ?

OMG just been 'worth a read-ed' where's me spill chucker, pass me a comb! thanks JH.

the secret of a long life....don't wash, don't drink , don't fret , don't fink, and for God's sake don't take any excerisize

if 60 is the new 40, what's 61? virtual birthday wishes requested, pls, 24th May, if 'lm still here.

Put it in yer Dairies.

Don't you mean Diaries?

Nope this message is for the smallholders

I think I'm getting early-onset Alka-seltzer....do you ever get that? You go into in a room, and wonder why you're there?

Happens to me a lot...even in the WC! ( that' s posh for toylit )

We're right the other side of the Aveyron, 250km from Cap d'Agde which is why we don't get down there that often and family are here in the Aveyron too. My being in Pézenas tomorrow is purely business, the idea of parties etc sounds good (my kids are only 4.5 and 3 so we haven't been to a party or out for that matter in quite a few years!) Must get on, got to get the kids up at 6 to get them over to the outlaws by 7, have a bite to eat then get down to Pézenas to the notaire's by 10 and the day'll continue like that until we get home very late having picked up the kids on the way back, 600 odd kms no doubt by the end of the day, just hope the kids give us a bit of a break on Sunday, but I doubt it some how!

You are absolutely right Andrew, whatever your surroundings or situation you still have to live to your life, much of it hum-drum and 'pressured'. I am geared up to do a gig in a little Resto in Pézeznas tomorrow with an Irish Buddy ( of course ) not sure I can l make it , as I have a presentation for an Italian caterer, a site, logo etc, ( daughter's friend's Mum ) their family had to leave Sicily 'in a hurry' I am reliably informed...Gulp! I'm dreading the Bisous.

We almost bought in Montagnac a few years back costed out the refurb etc.

How far away from The Cap are you? It is a lovely region, we are blessed. I am making new friends in Pézenas all the time. Went to a party the other week which, when it ended, everybody piled to a local hotel to ask the manager if we could take over the grand piano, set up some amps up and 'partay'..... The guy said he was about to go home as was tired, but he supplied 10 bottles of Rouge @10 bucks a throw, left us the keys and said , lock up when you are finished and the drop the keys back tomorrow....Vive la France!

It would be great to meet you Andrew, let us know when you are down for the day, we'll meet up...you could check out my decking! lol

I think life in general is a series of deadlines and obligations regardless of whether you get paid or not - unfortunately! As for the boat, yes Marseillan but never seem to get the time to get down and use it - going back to deadlines and obligations again...! will be in Pézenas tomorrow but just to sign an act authentique (selling the little place I had in Montagnac) and then dashing around on business appointments before getting back to the outlaws to pick the kids up and then home... But I do hope that this summer we'll get down for a day on the boat or two and it'd be good to meet up ;-)

...actually talking to Bri, I think the difference between gainful employment and 'workin' for free, is that in the later scenario you can always walk away, but you still have agro, deadlines, and protocol to follow. I am just one of those type who can't sit still, relaxing bores me stiff. Even in my years in Bizzo I was always a reluctant MD, much preferring to be a good number two, if you pardon the expression, lol. I do quite miss the concept of 'engagement' interaction, problem solving, and of course the all important 'accolade'.

He He, not a bad idea Andrew, haven't you got a boat in Marsellian? They've re-made the promenade in The Cap, extended it widthways, looks good, we must hook up sometime in the Summer?

Ron, get out of the house and down to your nearest harbour-side bar there in Agde and watch the Hérault flow into the sea with a cool beer in your hand ;-)

Ha, Andrew just talking to dear Brian on My FB, 'bout retirement and the like, explaining that it was important to keep busy, so I said work I probably 10 hrs a day, than I asked my lovely OH, if that was right, and she said, actually I clocked you yesterday ..18 hours...Oops, perhaps I should get life!

Cheers Andrew, just popping down le Pub now!

"cheers" both of you ;-)

yes Dear heart, now will you come away from that computer, and come to the pub, for a drinkie!