Returning Goods in France

Exchanges/dissatisfaction… It rarely happens in my world, thankfully.
but I’m always polite and so apologetic at having to ask… perhaps that brings out the best in folk ??

4 Likes

I think the lack of a sense of “entitlement” comes in to play as well…

3 Likes

I am surprised I have not seen this quote…yet…

“The customer is king”

Harry Gordon Selfridge, founder of the luxury store that bears his name, summed up the importance of flawless service when he reportedly coined the phrase “the customer is always right” at the start of the 20th century, but it has taken more than 100 years to make a link between customer experience and the bottom line.

France and the rest of Europe have yet to fully understand this. I have heard some crazy tales how far the UK shops and supermarkets bend over backwards to ‘please’ their customers. Lessons still to be learned over here.

I think its a cultural thing… expectations and all of that. Less a sense of British colonial “entitlement” and more one of reality :wink:

1 Like

Ah but it can depend on the individual store and manager,

Not every manager has the same policy.

Is paraffin=“fioul” ?

Also does fioul have a time limit to use? I think I have some somewhere but would have sat in sealed cans for quite a few years

Different stores, different policies, and sometimes even with different branches of the same store. But always over and above your legal rights. Our local Hyper-U takes stuff back without question or hesitation, which makes life really easy, especially when they have a special deal on something and I want my wife’s opinion but know that if I go back and discuss it then it will be sold out when we get back.

1 Like

noticed that too with Lidle…

Our method in Leclerc is explain, fold arms, say nothing. Eventually they fold and replace or refund :smiley:

3 Likes

Reminds me of a friend who was upset at a 5* London hotel, where she arrived after a 16 hour flight from HK, to find they had lost her booking and were full during Wimbledon.

She stood at reception in the grand marble lobby and declared loudly,
“Get me a chair! I’m going to sit here until you give me my room!”

She got her room.

Now, whenever I’m upset I say to my husband, “Get me a chair!” (A chair is often all I get :sweat_smile:)

Shop elsewhere, then :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

‘lost’ her booking.

During Wimbledon.

Ahem

Overbooking. It happens. Best to be the squeaky wheel if it does :wink:

1 Like

I expect that might work at some Lidls too. Not a return but more of a confrontation, I once loaded out of their large warhouse south of Bordeaux for one of their stores in Brive the next morning. Of course, as Lidl undercut the others by using unpaid labour for loading (me), by the time I had finished and had my minimum legal overnight break I couldn’t possibly get to the delivery till half an hour after the rdv time

The manager raged, egged on by my English accent (he was a Quebecois) and said I would have to wait till he was ready. That suited me as I was tired out from my restricted sleep and declared that I would go to bed. Which is what I did, blocking his dock and pulling the curtains to.

10 minutes later he was knocking on the door. :rofl:

3 Likes

The New Yorker

When we first moved here I bought a dab radio in le Clerc only to get home to realise we had no dab signal. Le Clerc have me a full refund (via a voucher) without any quibble.

1 Like

We moved from UK in 2020, bringing 2 DAB radios. Still waiting and hoping for DAN in France :confused:

Coming but slowly

Le DAB+ en France, radio numérique terrestre - DAB+ en France.

does he know :thinking:

1 Like