Returning UK registered but not MOT'd car to uk

The drive to an MOT exemption really only applies for a reasonable distance from where the vehicle is kept, personally I’d pre book an MOT within 20 miles of the port and get a confirmation, also carry the phone number of the garage just in case, avoid one thet requires driving on major routes to avoid ANPR, just to save yourself extra bother, then make for the nearest post office brandishing your MOT and tax it pronto

You can do it online as soon as you have the MOT pass.

The regulations for a CT allow for stick on adjusters on the headlights.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,this has nothing to do with returning a car to the UK,but with my driving licence. Excuse me please for jumping on board, I’m hoping someone will be able to help me. Could someone tell me how long it takes between applying with ANTS to change a UK licence for a French one? Thankyou in advance

A friend started in August last year. It is still pending.

@penny
why not post on one of the threads about Licenses… try this one and you’ll find a useful Group link, who might be able to help

Can you tax without an MoT?

BTW that was a reply to Larkswood who suggested taxing before getting on the ferry

I see two possible options to consider:

A) If you have a pre booked appointment for an MoT then you are legally allowed to drive on the road direct to that Testing Station IF insured & not sure if Road Tax needed (??)

B) There are a few folks offering trailer service behind their vans / large cars who can take it for you for a price and if you can be flexible then price is obviously lower !!!

It is expensive as there is now 10% import tax and 20%TVA to pay on importation of vehicles from a non EU country

1 Like

Trailering back to the UK is the only legal option as a pre booked MOT in the UK might be permissible in the UK but if the Gendarmes stop you they will want to see that the vehicle has everything valid. If the MOT is expired, the vehicle is not road legal.

1 Like

No.

But you are allowed to drive to a pre-booked MOT test appointment without tax. It can also be driven home without tax if the car fails because of minor issues.

If the car passes, it must be taxed before being driven on the road (eg away from the test centre).

No, need MOT to tax

How do we find your people in B), @Chidders ?

Some of us have taken great interest in a car that is currently on the high seas travelling from America to its final destination in France. The car belongs to @anon90504988 and like you he cannot drive it to where he wants it without getting a carrier involved.
Last year I bought a car from a dealer in Lyon and rather than travel to collect it I had it delivered by a car carrier to my door for 400 euros.
5 years ago I bought a new car from northern france and had it delivered by carrier to my door for 500 euros. Both costs I thought were reasonable when compared to vehicle value.
I understand that Covid has messed up your plans to get your car to where you want it but 6 to 800 euros/pounds for a transporter to collect it and deliver to your door is not a bad fix against the 3500 that you value the car at.
Covid has messed up peoples lives in so many worse ways.

Not sure the car has ever been exported so would it be possible to re-import it?

I think you’ll find this has been addressed by various folk higher up the thread…

It is highly unlikely that the gendarmes would be interested in a UK registered car’s MoT or even road tax.

They’ll become extremely interested if it’s involved in an accident as its insurance would be invalid.

2 Likes

Just like to raise the hat to HMRC/NOVA.

Unlike DVLA, the process of VAT/Duty assessment is an on-line routine. I prepared my docs and emailed them to HMRC on Sunday, before taking the 08:30 to Portsmouth on Monday morning.

At not quite 14:00 on Monday I got an email from HMRC with confirmation of clearance (nothing to pay) and that I could now submit docs to DVLA for new V5.

Civil service dept on fire! Chapeau!