Revenus 2018 Blue Form 2042

"In the UK you may get tax forms translated into many languages, but you would find impossible to go and see a tax officer, "

At one point I was self employed in UK and on several occasions needed to sit down in front of a tax officer. It was very easy indeed. This was Poole, Dorset. Maybe different elsewhere.

My lack of education before arriving here was due to having to use my time to make a living, and once I arrived getting most of the official stuff done was pretty straightforward. I had assistance from UK expats who have now returned or died. Both my homes in France have been rural with few or no near neighbours and lack of funds has meant virtually no social life, etc. and wasting time in bars and restaurants was not on the agenda. My restoration projects have been with my own two hands. Clearly most expats simply reach for their chequebook when things need doing but I do not have that advantage. I did attend a very inexpensive language workshop but it soon turned into just another social networking session for the British contingent and very little was being learned. Then they boosted the cost of membership (mostly to cover refreshments) and I decided to cut my losses.
I don’t expect French people to speak English. What I find “bizarre” is that it appears to be taught in school to every pupil at some stage, and pretty much every higher education degree includes some English.
I also get a bit sick and fed up with those who are fluent for one reason or another always seems to take the higher moral ground. Thankfully I don’t have to associate with such people.

2 Likes

Yes and no. Languages are required at school (one or two, depending on vocational/technical/academic courses) but while they generally include English they don’t actually have to. The same goes for post school education. Other languages do exist :grin:

Such a shame my previous use of gif’s was ‘discouraged’ - I’d have posted a couple right here… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It is not in everyone’s nature to enjoy “the crowd”… Richard is clearly quite happy with his own company.

However, IMO it is a mistake to assume too much about Brits from the little one gleans on these Forums…

Blanket generalisations never go down well with me, since IMO they are generally inaccurate.

However, the sun is now shining and I am off for another social gathering…(yippee) …at the school… helping the little ones with their reading… (helps my French too… and it is free… )

I’ve not paid for lessons… I talk with French folk… conversation is free… yippee

2 Likes

We live in a very rural area. When we first arrived we were the only British here.
Our large restoration project, apart from the roof where a lot of the slates were re-used, was carried out by us.
Our budget was very small as we too had limited funds.
I didn’t have acess to a computer until very recently and there were no language classes nearby. I had a dictionary, I used that and talked to anyone and everyone as much as possible, shopping, postman, bakers etc;. I bought 2nd hand French novels at Brocantes, I listened to French radio. We do not have UK tv.
You do not need a lot of funds for a social life, there are generally various activities in most villages that are free, its there that you get to speak with locals and make friends however you do need to make the effort!
You get sick and fed up by those who are fluent for one reason or another. Well I can speak, write and read French very well because I made the effort, I didn’t sit around moaning and expecting others to translate for me!
You appear to have a large chip on your shoulder and thankfully I don’t have to associate with people like you, in fact I avoid them like the plague.

7 Likes

That’s a cop out Richard. I came to France 12 years ago with O level French from 30 years previously. I needed to get a job so enrolled with ANPE (now Pole Emploi) and asked for a French course which I was allowed to do for 3 months for free. I took it seriously and learned a lot. I practiced my French when I could in shops and markets etc and used second hand language tapes and listened to French radio. After a few years I got a part-time cleaning job where all the girls spoke only French and was forced to learn quickly.

Your inference that people who were taught English in schools should therefore be able to speak to you in English is absurd. Turn that around and all British adults should be able to speak French/German/Spanish proficiently as they would have been taught it at school also.

If you really want to learn a language then you can do so by putting yourself in appropriate situations and using free resources such as your local library or free online language courses. You just need to make the effort.

Your disdain for Brits who worked hard to earn their money - just like you- so that they could come to France to fulfill their dreams - just like you- does you no justice.

4 Likes

Was that a while ago? Between 2006 and 2011 some 200 local tax offices were closed and staff made redundant. I’m not sure if there is even a single one left now.

You are correct Jane, it is no longer possible to visit local tax offices as they were all closed. Everything is now done by phone or, in exceptional cases, by home visits.

The French are indeed very fortunate to still have local tax offices where you can take your papers and see someone face to face.

1 Like

Anyone can find a reason NOT to do something. Ah but, ah but ah but…

3 Likes

So reassuring to hear from the “experts” where I have been going wrong for so many years. I think I’ll find a forum where people do more than pat each other on the back for getting things right and being financially successful. Adios amigos.

You will be lucky

1 Like

And where all the “ex pats” can sympathise with you no doubt…
Good luck with that, I prefer the honesty and straight speaking of this forum.
You made a statement, certain of us replied, you didn’t like the honest answers so now you flounce off to a more sympathetic audience. Incroyable !

6 Likes

Oh well, if Richard wants to go elsewhere… that is his prerogative … perhaps we will see him again some sunny day… :upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

And another one bites the dust…

Wouldn’t “au revoir mes amis” be more appropriate for a French forum?

1 Like
1 Like

:joy::joy:

1 Like

My local office are extremely helpful every year.