Right to compensation for delayed flight

Gerald, I can appreciate the sentiment of 'forget it these things happen' I know that, he occassionally has delays, has landed in the wrong airport due to strong winds, has flight crews exceeding their hours due to late incoming flights, has aircraft with technical issues...I know this happens. We experience it at least once a month. It's normal, as you say, its a lifestyle choice.

The difference here is that this delay was more significant than usual and should entitle him (I believe if I am reading the rules correctly) to compensation of 250 euro.

Now I'm not sure why you think my husband earns enough to compensate for the extra costs and loss of half a days earnings as I said above he was significantly out of pocket but I will put that aside as you dared to say it and you did.

I am not suggesting Easyjet are running late on purpose - I know that on this occasion, it was a technical issue but I am questionning their use or interpretation of the compensation rules. (btw I don't agree that it is always beyond their control...their flight ops take a chance on the crews being within their hours when they have already had delays, they have on standby service teams or spare parts in their major hubs, they decide not to send a replacement aircraft...many situations are well within their control. Weather and bird strikes are examples which are not at all in their control (these have been experienced too and we don't compain) As I said my query is the application of the rules. That's all.

I'm not moaning about Easyjet, I think they offer an excellent service, I am simply querying the legislation as quite frankly we could do with the 250 euro contribution to the extra expense incurrred back.

Suz - am going to send this to my dad and get back to you xx

A bit harsh set of comments. And " it is always beyond their control " is patently untrue.

Forget it. These things happen. I dare say your husband earned enough that day to compensate him for the extra costs.

If you live a flight away from your work I would expect this sort of thing to happen two or three times a year. It is a lifestyle choice, if you like.

No airline runs late to disadvantage its passengers and it is always beyond their control. We have incredibly cheap flights and I for one do not want to punish an airline for something that is inevitable from time to time. If you factor the extra expense on that day over a year it does not amount to much...

I think you will have a problem getting this one to stick. As Easyjet rightly quote he did not take the flight and hence"his" flight was not delayed. You can contact the CAA in London. I did this once and they were actually not much use taking the airlines side but they are the next port of call.