Right to residency - Early retiree

Not exactly a success story Dominic - I bet it was mainly down to the behaviours of some of it’s core 'members’. :slight_smile:

OK as others have pointed out there is a lot ‘up in the air’ at the moment, but two things seem to my mind (and experience) at least. They are a) despite what is said around the UK press notably, there is no planned or overt victimisation plotted against UK residents in France, so do not anticipate anything other than advice from the Immigration people, and the best place to start is with your Prefecture ( where you have your house or as nominated). Not surprisingly though this will require good French or having someone around who speaks good French (and English) - names of official translators who will be required to translate documents are also provided by the nominated Prefecture. They will also be able to help - but note they ARE independent and charge for their services. I suppose it should go without saying that a reasonable understanding of French makes sense anyway?

b) be aware of what you are looking for - e.g Residency is different from Nationality.

At least try for a Carte de Sejour NOW, and sorry I think people simply ‘waiting to see what happens’ are maybe laying down problems for the future. You will be told that these are not necessary, which in a legal sense is correct BUT they will provide a legal proof of local presence as and when the Brexit happens. When I obtained French Nationality last year I received a Carte d’identité which looks almost exactly the same as the old Carte de sejour.

The main reason for this is the French are very strong on ‘proofs’ of all sorts - incuding records of domestic bills paid for electricity, gas, and taxes paid (property etc). Keep and sort out any and all invoices paid for work done on your house. Sadly there is no value for having ‘done the work yourself’ as it is unprovable.

Finally if you are thinking at some stage of becoming French (as I have done) remember you cannot even think of that until you have had residence here for five years. It IS possible that this might be waived in the future but it will depend on the fall-out from the Brexit situation.

Personally I don’t think there will ultimately be a Brexit agreement at all, as the ‘blame game’ against the EU’s ‘obstructivism’ is now being promoted heavily in the UK, which for me says much more than anything else. The UK cannot get what it is asking for - i.e; everything for nothing, and the current crop of problems I am sure will lead to some unilateral walking away by one side or the other. Then there will be the complications for those UK citizens living in the EU, but as I said at the outset, I don’t think that will affect those ‘in residence’ too much other than a return to the old Resident Visa systems of former times.

The main difference will be in the Health systems, and that almost certainly will change and the mutual reciprocity of the EU could not apply as it stands, but there could be no real reason why a dual-Nation deal could not be worked out in an atmosphere of goodwill. Regrettably that seems in short supply on the British side, however I can’t see the insurance companies in France and the UK ignoring a market potential of some 2 million people on their doorsteps, so expect some lively offers very soon!

You mention pensions and this is a very important area, and at this time with the exception of spoutings from Iain Duncan Smith I haven’t heard of any other moves to dismiss all pensions for UK expatriates ‘living it up with the swimming pools’ etc. However again, this is unknown territory, and sorry to say it but my wife and I lost our full pensions from Australia by the stroke of an administrative pen, so it CAN and COULD happen, but at this time I haven’t heard the idea being developed further in the UK.

Maybe I am a little more optimistic than many in this regard, but I repeat that I have yet to note any aggression towards English residents here in France or Spain, or anywhere else.

On a very personal level, I have been delighted to become French even aged 77 years old. Britain is no longer the country I was born and raised in, and I can’t even recognise the level of xenophobia and hatred being developed over there - mainly in the ubiquitous Murdoch Press.

Sorry this got lengthier than I intended, but to repeat so much is up in the air, but some things as described you should do for your own benefit.

5 Likes

Yes, plus of course that person then has a ‘red flag’ made on all future transactions and tx returns get a double vetting etc. This is common to all countries, so it is not a good idea to mess around with any official payments and/or requirements. None of us know what the future holds (look at Brexit for a supreme example)!

Yes having the Maire onside is always a good idea they often have connections outside their official duties, and even ones from the smallest of villages (ours only has 400 souls) have influence way beyond what is apparent - e.g each year I have a requirement to validate that I am still alive to receive my part-pensions in the UK and Belgium etc., these are required to be signed by a person either in authority of good standing, and this is always signed off and stamped by our Maire (who happens to live next door!)

When I became French he also attended to ceremony in Limoges, and now we are bosom buddies!

You don’t specify who ‘attacked you’ but of all the ploys to suggest is ‘getting something done at the eleventh hour because of Brexit’ is probably about the worst you could have used. It IS an insult like saying ‘well when all else fails you can always get the French to take you’ - hardly a commitment to a country you are hoping to help you or your friends?

France is not the dustbin or last resort. It sounds as if you have albeit inadvertently trampled on some susceptibilities there. Hint - humour very often doesn’t travel very well, especially when you are not present with your own smile on your face. Best avoided in any official documentation.

3 Likes

As a US citizen retired in France since 2011, I would like to weigh in in support of the comments made by Anna Watson. While I am obviously not in a position to comment on the privileged arrangements that are currently available to UK citizens, I have not found the French requirements for my ilk to be particularly onerous or unreasonable. Yes, the process has become increasingly expensive, as the prefecture charges Euro 260 an application regardless of the duration of the permit that is eventually granted, but all things considered, it probably cost me about the same as to have my minor son’s passport renewed a few years back. The documents that I needed to provide are proofs of identify, residence, income, and health insurance coverage. As far as OFII is concerned, my only contact with them was to show up for what turned out to be an extremely perfunctory medical examination. In short, even if, god forbid, British citizens should find themselves in the same boat (the Mayflower?) as their American cousins with respect to the French authorities it will not be the end of the world if your intent is to retire here.

6 Likes

Hi Anna

I agree with what you say, we all have the right to express our views.

Personally I have always found your advice to be very helpful and I look forward to seeing more of it.

Please keep giving us your input as often as you have the time for :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello Ann

I have to agree with you. Anna is one of the most knowledgeable and valuable members of this forum. I love her forthright and down to earth approach. I hope she isn’t put off by the more sensitive posters amongst us.

5 Likes

Hi Anna

Do you know if what looks like a dollar sign here (on the servis-publique website) means Euros? I had a quick look on the website to see if I could change the currency, but can’t see anything…

Thanks! :slight_smile:

€ is the euro sign… (Alt 0128 on my keyboard)

$ is the dollar sign

very different, yet similar… at a glance… especially difficult after a glass or two:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ha ha. what are you implying? I only had half a beer with lunch.

This is how it appears on the SP website, for the amount required for a single person: $ 545.48

That’s definitely a dollar sign! Which is confusing for me…

perhaps the site is aimed at Americans… or they want paying in dollars… who knows… perhaps they have had a glass or two… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Funnily enough, further down (if you live in a relationship with no children), the figure is in Euros. I’m guessing whoever input the data has made a mistake with the dollar signs and it should all be Euros…

I don’t see any dollar signs! I see

Gremlins at work I think …

Ah. I realise it’s because I (and, I think Nigel - as he had a dollar sign too) clicked on the ‘translate this page’ icon. In it’s wisdom it decided to give us a selection of currencies :slight_smile:

Thanks for confirming Euros.

1 Like

You have missed the point completely but I suppose you’ve provided a service. Simon Armstrong has had yet another chance to like a post criticising something I wrote. Please show me where I have considered France to be a dustbin or a last resort? All I have commented on is the reality that there are a number of people who have plans to move to France and many of them will have to leave it to the last minute before Brexit and those people may struggle to ensure that all their ducks are in order. Some of them may well end up clutching at straws to ensure that their dreams are fulfilled.

1 Like

I have to comment that this forum has been a sanity-saver since we settled here in 2015. The range of topics is huge, the quality of contributions beyond any reproach, the variety reflecting the complexities of living in France and the fact that there are inconsistencies in the way affairs are handled across the Republic.

Debates IMO reflect the best of British freedoms when it comes to civility, tolerance of ambiguity, and speaking one’s mind. Vive SF!

Ré proof of residency, I did approach the local Mairie about an attestation of residency two years ago, to be told that the Maire no longer issued them. Over the last two years I have begun to understand why, and to appreciate his possible disinclination to endorse the motivation of people he doesn’t really know.

Anna, the self-declared pedant, is a jewel beyond price, I think. She demands of us that we be clear. I stand in need of such instruction, and I value her unemotional strictures. I think we are fortunate to have her inputs and her challenges to reason and precision, delivered always without any rancour or spite.

4 Likes

Well said Peter. My profile says I’ve been a member since August 2013 (although I thought it was a bit longer than that but I guess not) and I’ve found it to be a wealth of information and I’ve gratefully received much needed advice. Most people are polite and friendly (with a few exceptions) and it’s been a lovely experience having conversations with people I would not normally be able to meet. I hope the experience continues to be a pleasurable one.

3 Likes

well said, Peter, some of us came out here when forums didn’t exist (and internet was in it’s infancy!) and you had to go it alone :wink:

3 Likes

Carte de resident , Prefecture

Yes…be sure to move in France while the UK is still a member and citizens of it are still Europeans. After that, deep waters.
Funny to see De Gaulle saying in his time and after the war
" quand les Anglais devront choisir entre le grand large et l Europe, ils choisiront toujours le grand large"
That means the US of course.
However there are deep implications re food safety and financial derregulation, environmental behaviours etc. The US are less subtle than the EU. If there is a vassality somewhere with the EU it was based on consent. The US has extraterritoriality laws and the desire to subjugate for the sake of it. It started Daesh by ruining Irak…a lot of mistakes done out of total oblivion of other human beings and their rights to their way of life