Rinsing bottles

If plastics were coloured in a similar way according to their type we could recycle a lot more, of course coming up with other materials that are less problematic in the first place would always be a superior plan.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a bit of messing about with caustic soda involved :grin: - I have some of her latest batch on the go at the moment, it is full of hemp oil and ground hempseed and makes oneā€™s horrible dry scaly skin all soft and comfortable.

1 Like

Pilkington would have been low iron float glass as in plate glass, windscreens etc, totally different type of glass to glass used for bottles which our furnaces were, the glass used for bottles is nowhere near as pure and Pilkington use a different type of multi melt conditioning furnace.
I did some work at the Alexandra Works plant in St Helens years ago, interesting place :sunglasses:

No this was bottles - however thereā€™s a possibility it wasnā€™t Pilkingtonā€™s and my memory is playing tricks on me but I donā€™t recall there being two glass makers in one small town (& Google isnā€™t suggesting there was either).

Apparently the (Pilkingtonā€™s) factory is still there, but looking distinctly worse for wear.

It became Pirrkngtons, ok bad joke but the Chinese bought it from memory?

Our local waste collection agency asks us NOT to rinse bottles or other containers prior to recycling them on the grounds that cleaning the waste water of all the extra contaminants is a considerable problem.
I have to confess that we do still rinse those containers that are likely to become the most stinky while awaiting the fortnightly collection though.

Ours does too, but old habits hard to break! And I hate cleaning out a stinky binā€¦

We moved from buying still water to a Brita filter. We were just fed up toting the bottles home and then toting the empties to the recycling.

4 Likes

There is also a large cost saving so no reason to actually purchase bottles.

Suggest making your own mayo, it canā€™t be worse than the industrial stuff (which includes Hellemans).

And you can put it in one of your jarsā€¦

1 Like

Oh no - lifeā€™s too short.

It only takes five minutes - hopefully youā€™ve got longer than that left!

2 Likes

I would absolutely LOVE to hear more about this! Perhaps a seperate thread with some of your recipes and hints and tips? Iā€™d really appreciate it! My concern is that I only like dry wine and think of all these being very sweet, is that the case?

Honestly it isnā€™t (saying me who has been lazy and not made for a while!). the difference in flavour / lack of added crap and just yumminess is so worth the 3 or 4 minutes it takes to make! It keeps in the fridge for at least a week.

I see youā€™ve got it down to ā€™ 3 or 4 minutesā€™ - So, are you beating it faster than me, or does Aussie mayo omit some vital step?

Made some with a stick blender sure it took less than 3 mins. Not made for a while as other projects taken over.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a (Rick Stein) recipe usng olive oil that we absolutely loveā€¦

Me too. Obviously we dont add honey as in the above, that was just to show how quick it is. Reckon its probably quicker than some can open a new jar :joy:

I must try with my stick blender.

As an aside (see photo above) why on earth do Americans always have their microwaves over their stoves??? Do they not use extractor fans?

1 Like

Thanks @toryroo . Thereā€™s no real secret as far as recipes are concerned. These days, I get most of them from the internet. I used to do lots of wine in the '80s ā€¦ I did all the wine, beer and extra strength barley wine for my wedding party. It lasted all night !. I then stopped for many years and only started again a few years ago. As far as the dryness of wine is concerned, most of my wines are in fact quite dry. The secret is to know at what point to stop the fermentation. The longer you ferment, the lower the gravity and the dryer the wine. Too dry, and some wines (particularly forest fruits) donā€™t taste very nice. The ginger though I do very dry and itā€™s beautiful. I got the recipe for here

If anyone makes this wine though, I would suggest using a little more hygienic methods than this bloke !

edit: Maybe we should have a winemaking thread. Iā€™ve never started one before, so am uncertain how to do it .

2 Likes

I get three rings and a hat from a bottle, and one oval from ice cream cartonsā€¦image

1 Like