Road Rage in Dordogne

I have found in the odd instance of rank bad driving that I've experienced around here (also not far from Brive...), that the antagonist is invariably a young or middle aged woman, with a fag in one hand, and a mobile phone in another - the car is invariably small, and often black, and they are in a tearing hurry to get somewhere. One of life's coincidences, I suppose.

The older people who take to the roads are not aggressive, just spatially unaware. I'm not sure which is the more dangerous of the two...

Mine is a PapaGo 3. Sounds a daft name, but it's very good - the better ones have GPS capability.

I've just Googled Dash Cams & am amazed by the number on offer.

Care to tell us which model you are using Chris?

Sorry, should have added "dans un lieu privé" ie in a shop or restaurant etc. not forgetting the droit à l'image ;-)

Oddly, a similar thing happend to me the other day just out side Brive, and I don't drive a small car, but rather suspicious looking smoked glass black one which does have some bearing on what happened. Allowing for the often suicidal tendencies of some drivers, this was a true oddy.

I was travelling up a hill doing the speed -limit (having been hit with a huge fine some years ago for not doing this) when a new large white Peugeot started thrashing past me on the wrong side of a solid white line, and to avoid hitting oncoming traffic swerved right in front of me almost clipping my front wing. Not surprisingly(?) I flashed my lights at the idiot now in front of me, and very much the same sort of thing occurred, BUT and this did amaze me, the car was driven by a young woman who stopped her car in the middle of the road, causing all other cars to stop behind me, and started screaming out of the window, and 'giving me the finger'.

All the cars starting tooting, curiously although I didn't, being too amazed at the stupid girl, not only through her driving, but taking such a chance against a rather large, black car which she couldn't see into. I could have been any number of even more unpleasant characters than I am, and I have to admit to a very strong desire to drive her off the road - which I desisted.

Now she really WAS taking a stupid chance, and for what? She had clearly been in the wrong to start with, and was evoking road rage against her into the bargain.

What evokes this sort of behaviour? Drink? Drug?s, or plain idiocy?

Ann, the NSA will hate him, because their job is to COVER UP evidence. Dash cams, and mobile phone recordings have shed light on horrific police, and military abuses all over the world... the day a law enforcement officer tasers you for simply having a funny accent, and perhaps breaking the speed limit, a dash cam is something you might think about for the future. I've never had one, but I have been in situations where I wished I had.

It is not a crime to film the police, and in many situations, it is (and has been) the ONLY way to bring corrupt law enforcement officers to justice.
They CAN ask you to stop filming, but you are not obliged to comply, since it is NOT illegal to film.

The crazy part, is that people get fed up behind these little cars Martha but that's life and they have to get on with it. They are in a big rush and you are holding them up, such a big rush that they then play stupid games stopping in front then overtaking just to stop in front so they are actually ending up going slower than you! They are too thick to notice that. Hopefully they will go off at such speed they will veer off and put a wheel into a drainage ditch causing their vehicle to come to such an abrupt stop it will flip over and snap their neck and that will reduce the population of idiots by one. Speeding is good in france as the nutters don't live long because of the ditches.

You seem to need permission for everything these days - I'll take the risk, in the long run the thing is worth its weight in gold.

Dearie me. Nothing paranoid about it - it's a sensible precaution, and invaluable as a back-up should you encounter road rage, an accident, an encounter with the gendarmerie (or other person[s]), or even if you wish to retrace your steps on a forgotten previous journey. The microphone being "live" is optional. The thing is on, and running, and you forget about it - you are not even aware of its presence (and nor is anyone else). Should you need to recover what you have recorded, you simply remove the SD card, and download to your computer. You are not transmitting anything to a satellite, or anywhere else. The GPS signal merely serves as a location aid. Maybe it is you that is paranoid, Anne. NSA indeed. The originator of this thread would have been well served, had they had a camera installed.

This is very popular, especially in Russia. Sounds like a good idea to me.

you also need permission from your préfecture to film and record others...!

I used to think the little cars were a great idea - till some one pointed out that every tom, dick and harry who had lost their licence through drink driving could go and get one.

Not saying that is why you have one Martha and it must have been a terrifying experience but you can see why people hate them and it certainly does not excuse her behaviour. I hope you are feeling better and up to reporting it to the police, do not feel afraid - she was in the wrong.

It was just a bully don’t let it knock your confidence go to the police you may not be the first this has happened to and you may prevent a future accident…but I do have to say god I hate them little noddy cars

Exactly. I'm sure she had just as much right to be there as anyone else. And I very much doubt that the moron would have acted like that had it been a burly farmer in a JCB!!

Was he drunk or high ?

I doubt it very much indeed, just someone without a moment to live . I did wonder if the other driver might have been drinking or was high ?

I second Chris’ suggestion. Some pepper spray and a marine fog horn might be useful to have in the car too. Take care.

Was Martha doing anything illegal?

I know .

but you see these little toy cars have a sort of hard shoulder on main roads around here so they can trundle along with the cyclists and tractors etc .........