Robin Redbreast and why we keep our windows mucky

This little chap crashed into our window, even the mucky top half. :open_mouth:
I picked him up off the floor before the dogs noticed and placed him on the bird bar, put a few seeds before him, which he ignored, but he allowed me to stroke him.
After 10 minutes he had got his breath back and flew off into the trees. :joy:

Gone, leaving a small deposit. :grinning:

6 Likes

Earlier this morning I was amazed to see a robin take a cat biscuit out of the bowl!

I’d forgotten the very good reason I don’t clean our windows… thanks for the reminder, as I’d almost (only almost) thought about cleaning them… :rofl: :rofl:

seriously though… it is sad to see birds caught out in this way. So glad you little friend was OK.

1 Like

We have to keep the curtains closed in our bedroom….just open them briefly if we want to drink tea in bed with the view.

A long time ago in S Africa my house had several large, glass patio doors with a big garden full of trees and birds, including an amazing Cape weaver bird colony of nests suspended from trees. Anyway, birds were always flying into the patio doors, sometimes the results were fatal, butmost often not. However, one time I noticed that the colliding bird had left an amazingly precise print of its feathered wings on the glass of the door. It was like a fingerprint, a record of a split second impression that didn’t photograph well enough to convey its fleeting delicacy. I could have dismantled the door and contact printed the bird print onto b/w photographic paper; but on the other hand the memory is so vivid after a quarter century, that probably it wasn’t necessary.

1 Like

We have a Robin which we see many times every day. He’s not shy at all. When out in the garden yesterday cutting brambles, I looked to the side and the Robin was sat quite relaxed on a wooden post only about 2 feet away from me. I looked at him, he looked at me, then he promptly ignored me and stayed exactly where he was. He’s so amazingly seemingly tame that I’ve got within a few feet of him several times in the last week. Just hope he isn’t as nonchalant when our cat’s around.

1 Like

There are some beautiful gardens in Shrewsbury called the Dingle. The birds there are very used to people. I was sitting on a bench there one day when a robin perched on the toe of my boot!