Royal Wedding - It's all over and everyone had a fabulous time

That’s unnecessary Florian.

Stella was just suggesting you start another thread so the subject you want to discuss doesn’t get lost on this thread and so that others who are interested in discussing the monarchy can join in.

Tell you what, I’ll start a thread about the monarchy and you can post your views there as well as on this thread if you wish.

3 Likes

To change the tone slightly, I had a fabulous day as am over in London at the moment. Lots of friendliness around for once, bunting at every turn, and the shops were deserted so I did everything I needed to in double-quick time and was offered tea and biscuits while doing it. Was handed a Union Jack which I’m sure someone will appreciate. And did everything so efficiently I had time to go and see the Monet exhibition which was also miraculously uncrowded!

So thank you Harry and Meghan you made my day a pleasure rather than a chore…

4 Likes

Sounds to me @Flocreen that you may have spent too long on a different forum?

We don’t do ‘nasty’ here…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

:joy:… the big worm banquet…

Venez nombreux ! No doubt Dad will go well bouquet garni…

Bon courage à tous :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

Sacré merde ! :rage::angry::rage::angry::rage::angry::rage::angry::rage::angry::rage::angry:

1 Like

Yes hes requested holes drilled in his coffin to make it easier for the olde worms and othe bugs…

He wanted all those who attend to drill holes in his coffin but it was felt alot of folks would find it unfortable…

2 Likes

Bless him Harry and bless you too…it’s the hardest of times and one we would never wish on our own worst enemies…my dad was with us until the last moment when he kissed my mum my sister and me as his physical body shut down…he had arranged every last detail of his funeral and cremation so we wouldn’t have to worry (except where to scatter his ashes…which we decided jointly in a place much loved by all of us) I think that as uncomfortable as it may be to those left in this realm to cope with the loss that the wishes of the dieing should be honoured and respected as much as possible…My Great Aunt who left physical at almost 103 wanted no fuss and a cardboard coffin…we honoured her wishes in the best way we were able to but it didn’t include a cardboard coffin and being picked up by the local bin men as she would have liked…x

1 Like

I agree that funerals should best serve the needs of the mourners, but should also respect the wishes of the deceased, so as not to set up unhelpful dissonance after the event. I have conducted Buddhist funerals at the request of the bereaved and also by prior arrangement of the deceased. In my experience mourners want to be involved, rather than being recipients of what is delivered to them by a relative stranger.

Consultation beforehand allows this. One feature of a Buddhist funeral is pouring water from a jug into a vessel so that it overflows into a bowl, signifying the continuity of being from one human vessel to another. All mourners can join in this simple ritual, and feel involved in the transition, in a moving and enduringly connected way, that transcends religious belief.

For Buddhists, death is not an occasion for mourning and sadness, although such feelings may arișe and dissolve at such times, given a little curious attention.

1 Like

It could also be fun, Harry, although it would take a bit of choreography, and an electric drill with a charged battery. Funerals don’t have to be overly solemn, and there is a certain dignity in doing justice to what the deceased actually asked for. And a wisdom too.

First dance although banning “cheesy music” was apparently Whitney Houston…I wanna dance with somebody…if I were to get married again mine would probably be Kylie Minougue…I just can’t get you outta my head… x :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPwtJ89jes4

Can’t stand the Royal Family. Thank goodness I’m not British. Waste of tax money actually. It’s the 21st century now. Who still needs kings and queens. They were just lucky to be born in such a family.

1 Like

ROTFL! And we’re lucky to have them Joana - so many non-British are soooooo jealous :wink: Ohhh and just for the record they don’t cost the UK tax payer a penny - urban myth :-:uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk:

Lucky or unlucky? Would you consider it lucky to be under such scrutiny?

3 Likes

Exactly David - well said! :prince: :prince: :prince:

1 Like

Hello Joana and welcome to the Forum.

You are entitled to your opinion, which may or may not be shared by others.

2 Likes

Ermmmm, I think you will find they do cost the taxpayer. Who pays for their helicopter flights and other luxury travel, the Royal train, their security, the upkeep of residences (excluding privately owned) to mention just a few.

1 Like

Afternoon Poppy - suggest you do your research to find out the net value of the Royals to the UK. There are some vids and stats earlier on in this thread to help you out. Please feel free to post any of your own. Only thing is…I’m a complete Royalist so there’s really nothing you can write or show me that will change my point of view. I’m guessing the same will be true for you and your views :wink:

2 Likes

Frankly, the figures “argument” has been “done to death”… and, as Simon says… the actual details appear in many Threads on this Forum… and are readily available elsewhere.

cheers

My point is to say ’ they don’t cost the UK tax payer a penny - urban myth’ is incorrect.

But an elected head of state would cost as much if not more and be far more divisive.

1 Like