Ryanair (again!)

Err, so what did you mean by " might actually work out cheaper than the squeezy jet/cattle air alternatives. "?

please don’t :gun: the messenger. I merely reported what I read.

Not shooting anyone :slight_smile:

We knew people who used to charter a small plane to fly to the IOM from Manchester for the TT. They found it much cheaper than buying 6 tickets but it was about 25 years ago.

1 Like

Be wary of chartering a small plane. Last time I read about one such trip - it was not good news, very sad indeed. :neutral_face::neutral_face:

Thank you Poppy, sense at last! That was obviously the reason. so its not me who is going mad.

Thank you Teresa. Sense at last. Obviously this was the reason.!

M[quote=“Fran24, post:15, topic:26396, full:true”]
I always check the Lille option, but so far it has been too expensive even taking into account a taxi across to Gard du Nord!
[/quote]

Depending on where people are in France, Eurostar now has a direct service to Lyon and Marseille. And from there many TGV connections. Doesn’t operate in winter, but we’ve had some great bargains under 150€ return, and 4.45h to Lyon is not bad (a bit longer the other way because of customs).

And can’t you take RER from gare du Nord?

I find it far less irritating than miles and miles of airport corridors, queuing in boarding lounges and all the other nonsense that comes with air travel now. Obviously depends which station you transfer to, but for me it’s 20 minutes and 2 stops on RER.

1 Like

When I travel alone I am happy to take the RER to/from GdN mainly because it kills some of the connection time. It is quite a walk from mainline to RER so I would not recommend it if people have difficulty in walking.
Yesterday I did find a train via Lille and it’s cheaper, but I am not travelling until October so will have to check again nearer the time.

Other than a Tardis I don’t think there’s any quick way to travel.
Took my mum to Limoges yesterday leaving the house at 12.15, she got into her home at Peterborough at 7pm.

Last month we had to go up to Dijon for various appointments (all of 100km away), and rather than a rushed day there and back cramming everything in between we took from Friday to Sunday and had a mini break at same time.

So, for our next holiday we have decided to embrace slow travel, so will be taking days to do what could be done in an 8 hour drive along a motorway. I think this will be how we prefer to travel now.

4 Likes

We have also started to do this :grin:

1 Like

No they won’t pay more for a better service as there is no better service. They are all similar, I use mainly easyjet which is always late and BA which is expensive and late, Ryanair you get what you pay for but Ryanair for me is the best of the 3.

I do find that Ryanair seem prone to cancelling their flights moreso than Easyjet in the event of air traffic control strikes.

1 Like

I think it’s unfair to compare Ryanair with BA as their business models are different.

2 Likes