S1 and Carte Vitale

A Little Advice Please-

I live in France and work in the UK. I have an S 1 as a frontier worker; this runs out next February and I have to renew for the next year…etc etc until I retire ( in 15 years) and then I receive an S 1 with no end date.

Ive been paying rather expensive Heath insurance, so I’ve applied for my carte Vitale. I have my withdrawal agreement Carte de Sejour.

I receive a social security number in the post today, and another form that I believe I take to the pharmacy or doctors….

But what about a physical card ?? When does this come.

Also, the date on my letter I take to the Doctors - this expires in line with my Uk S 1…so I’m worried…

I am in a continual cycle of applying every year for CV and S 1 ???

Just a little advice to help me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

strikes me you might well have to apply for the S1 each year (applying before it runs out to maintain the cover)… but the CVitale will remain the same… running alongside as it were until you retire.

(OH and I got new CV cards when we each reached retirement age…)

The CVitale takes a few weeks to arrive (sometimes quicker, sometimes longer…) but the “Attestation de droits à l’Assurance Maladie” will cover you in the meantime, if you’re asked to produce the (absent) Carte Vitale you simply wave the document …

I’m sure others will chime in.

In the meantime… no need to stress, it will all work out.

Thanks Stella…that helps.
I thought I may have to apply for my CV each year too - and thats been a process ive been in since February… so just wanted reassurance that I dont need to do that each year.
if its just the S1 I renew, then I can certainly live with that hassle until I retire…
thanks

1 Like

I seem to recall we simply took the new S1’s down to the CPAM offices… and left them to it.

but it was a while ago…

You are probably aware that the CV does not cover the medical/prescription costs in full so a French top up Insurance is advisable.

1 Like

Good point @david_gillies

@robwebber you might be able to chop your expensive full-cover in for a more acceptable Mutuelle now you have the magic “number”… if you want to check things out with @fabien, he’ll give you good advice on how to go about things.

EDIT( keep a copy of any documents you give to CPAM… including S1 )

3 Likes

Thanks David and Stella…

yes, im aware of the top up. and ill be doing that straight away…
ill chat to Fabien.

its cheered me up…

my wife’s letter said they wanted much clearer birth certificate and marriage certificate…so she is scanning in now…ill walk past and wave my magic numbers…then wash up and cook dinner, and walk dogs…as penance

1 Like

Is the form that came with the number the one that you put a photo on and send off to get the actual card? If so you need to do that within a couple of weeks I think.

1 Like

No Rendi…not that I can see…it just has my French SSN on.
does a CV have a photo on ? in which case I dont know how thats delivered then…

Yes it does. Is it just your temporary number then? When we got the permanent number there was a form with it to attach a photo and send to Le Mans. You could try ringing the english speaking helpline, best time to ring 0845. They can access your file and will tell you what you need to know.

Hi Rendi
very helpful.
yes it is just my temporary number…
so I assume the permanent number will follow shortly…along with the form you mention…
thanks

If your number starts with a 1 (you) or 2 (your wife) then it is permanent. If it starts with another number it is the provisional one.

Once you are fully in the system you will be able to access things online and you will probably find like the rest of us that the expiry date is on a rolling basis, and you won’t actually have to do anything.

But it can take quite a while to get your permanent number, so don’t hold your breath. And then you will be sent a form which you stick a photo in, or send a digital one, and then eventually you will get your plastic card.

But hopefully the piece of paper you were sent is an attestation de droits?? Which confirms you are covered, so scan it, copy it, and save it very carefully. It is precious. Until you get an online account it is all you have to show you are covered so you will need to have copies to give to people eg if you have a medical appointment.

And yes look at mutuelles, but look at the whole range including hospital cover only.

2 Likes

Did you have to ask for the new CV cards when you retired Stella? Or did they come automatically? Did you have a previous CV or was that the first one you both had?

Thanks Jane…

my number starts with a 7 and it does state its a numero provisoire.

yes the paper I have is attestation de droits a l’assurance maladie.
it runs out February, same date as my S1…
but hopefully ill have my permanent CV by then ??

Rob I have received exactly the same.

CPAM seemed to imply I would receive the form to sign and attach a photo to, at the same time as the temporary Social Security Number. But there was nothing else in the envelope.

As @JaneJones has kindly advised above, I guess that form to attach a photo to and sign, then send back for the real CV will arrive later, in a separate letter, perhaps giving the permanent SSN?

I endorse the advice given by both Stella and Jane - never send, not even in a registered letter, nor hand, any document to CPAM that you haven’t kept multiple copies of, and ideally scans of that you’ve also uploaded somewhere like OneDrive or your email.

They admitted when I went to see them that they only received 2 of the documents I’d hand delivered originally. (there were about 13). Luckily I’d followed Jane’s advice and brought a “dossier” along and could provide them the 3 or so they asked for again.

2 Likes

Thanks Karen

it seems its all correct then, and I just wait for the second ( and maybe 3rd) letter…

yes, I never send originals of anything. ive never been asked…I have a whole folder on my computer with EVERY useful document in, and then I just attach to emails or print out to suit the purpose.

so, it seems ill wait and see what comes…if it doesnt happen by the time I send my renewal in for my S1 in January 2022, then ill call the English helpline for CV, and see what they advise.

thanks all for the advice. knew I could count on you SF

:joy::rofl::pray:t2:

I do like an optimist!

2 Likes

:rofl: :astonished: :hushed: :open_mouth:
im starting to understand the process…

ha ha - hopefully not an ill chat!

My first S1 took 3-4 months to sort out. Arrived and taken to CPAM around Feb. Temporary SS number around May. CV request / invite and permanent numbers around July. I uploaded my picture and ID. Phone the (english if you want) helpline and they give the 4 digit code to sign in. No need to create an account - already done, just sign in with the code. I just renewed my S1 Rob, this time it actually took just 3 weeks to process and 2 weeks to arrive.

Took it down the CPAM, they photocopied it (on request) and gave it back.

Said everything will be updated on line.

Regards.

@KarenLot

Ah see Karen is same position. As said, letter arrived with permanent numbers, inviting to post photo and passport scan for CV, or log in and upload. PS -don’t use google translate when logged in - wrecks the page processing, nothing will work!

The actual CV’s arrived in about a month - permanent - you don’t renew these - just push it in a scanner once a year I understand - we did that at the CPAM when handing over the new S1’s.

1 Like