S1 form, residency and health insurance

I have a complete file of my UK medical records, with scans and x rays etc. Plus all the scribbled doctors’ notes. You just have to ask for it.

But I do like getting all my results here (except the CT scan I lost) but have yet to find that the DMP is functional. They only things on it are the ones I uploaded myself.

Like Stella I never had any UK medical records except an old vaccination cert and a printout I requested from the doctor when I left the UK. I thought I’d just have a look at my DMP and I’m surprised to find it has quite a lot of stuff in it, although that isn’t immediately obvious at the start. When delving I find prescribed medicines, MT consulations, radiology, dental work, lab analyses, vaccinations. They all seem to be in one single category “Données de remboursement”.

That’s just because you didn’t ask Stella. If one is moving country it’s better to bring your medical history with you, At least the recent one.

Yes, I think it’s currently more aspirational, they are still encouraging people to get onboard.

I rarely print anything from the net, I download it and file it. Even stuff that’s only meant to be printed you can choose to save as a PDF. Any stuff I get hardcopy I scan and file too. I have a very structured Onedrive that has everything :slightly_smiling_face: It’s the combined curse of a tidy mind, always having had a dodgy memory and nit knowing from what country I will want to access the information.

Me… I was never really ill in UK… except the usual childhood illnesses… (and then only in school holidays aaaargh).

Our Doc did a full explanation of OH’s medical problems and the medications etc that he was on… for us to hand to our French Doc (who was pleased to have it, but insisted on doing hundreds of tests etc… to make sure that he agreed with what the UK Doc had said… :joy: :joy: )

Yes, the history is only a starting point and an indicator. Though my MT here renews prescriptions my cardiologist in Dublin prescribe. In fact, my MD neighbour did too during the last confinement.

I’ve a friend called John, currently in lockdown in Ireland… he’s got heart problems… it’s not you, is it ??

He sends us SMS from time to time, just to let us know he’s still alive and kicking… :relaxed: :wink:

Hopefully, he’ll be back here again next year.

No, I’m in lock down here :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

And you do get reimbursed in the end, once you are issued with your Carte Vitale. This is precisely what we did when my wife moved over. It meant paying for the non-covered parts of check ups, consultations, medicines, etc initially, and sending off those stupid pieces of brown paper to the CPAM (finding the right one to send them to was another adventure), but when her CV came through, they were all reimbursed.

Only from the date on the paper attestation tho’, not from the date you sent the application to join into CPAM.

1 Like

I had to pay for my files to be copied from my previous GP practice.
I now have a new S1, previously it was an E121 , sent from Newcastle.

I am new to Survive France but have found looking in very helpful and would like to thank you all for the advice you are giving out as this is a complex time for some trying to sort out their lives before the end of 2020.

I am one of those and I am trying to do it alone as my partner does not want to take up residency but I do. He is older than me and while supporting me and us wanting to continue our relationship, I do see my future in France and want to try and benefit from the Withdrawal Agreement. I have a small flat in my name and have sent off my S1 to the local CPAM. I asked for a receipt last month when I left my documents but was told that was not possible! So nothing through as yet and guess it can take a few months. Would I be able to go ahead and start the process for the Carte de Séjour without a social security number or would you advise calling my local office to get a temporary receipt of arrival of the paperwork? Can I enrol on the Ameli.fr without being in the system? I have insurance for my flat so should I get out health insurance as well to show intent for the Carte de Séjour or would the S1 and EHIC be considered enough for now?

I also am trying to go between France and the UK where my civil partner wants to hold on to the family home. I am aware of the time I need to spend in France over the next 5 years and we love to travel here together but it is me who has the property and wants to reside more in France as I speak the language and want to really integrate into a new culture especially with the UK leaving the European Union.

I am having to deal with issues of primary and secondary residences and the tax and inheritance issues for our sons. Is anyone aware of anywhere I could get French/UK legal/tax advice that is not too expensive or would you just go through my French notaire? He does not have an in-depth knowledge of UK law though unfortunately.

I hope I have not asked too many questions first off and I will continue to read anyhow as what you all have to say is fascinating. Good luck to everyone with your own issues. Take care.

1 Like

I hope you kept a copy of the S1?

From all accounts, and Tory is really the one to advise on this, all you need to provide for your carte de séjour is the copy of your S1. Plus the other things for <5 years residence such as utility bills, and proof of financial resources.

I would say take things one step at a time. Currently as a French resident your tax and inheritance affairs would be dealt with under French law. So if you are not married or pacsed then your sons would inherit equally and your partner would not. If this is not what you want then perhaps start to take steps to do something different.

However it is so easy to end up getting advice that ends up being not what you want because you didn’t ask the adviser the right questions. So before you spend money on someone do your own research and start to learn the French system. My experience of French notaires is that unless they have lots of British clients they know nothing - even if they say they do!

Here’s a starter for the 2 big issues you’ll need to decide - your partner and the law of which country to use:

https://www.taylorvinters.com/article/will-the-eu-succession-regulation-brussels-iv-affect-your-estate-even-after-brexit

This seems to be a relevant thread to ask about CPAM re-embursements .
We got into the system with S1, my wife is my dependent, quite easily.
We have paid out about €800 in our first year, doctor visits, drugs , blood test plus I had consultation with cardiologist and anesthetist prior to a quick day ops. ( no other costs).
But we have only got about €450 from cpam and about €150 from Generali our mutuelle, also I have no idea how cpam work out the re-emburesment…last week €2.62 arrived from them in our bank account.
I know cpam deduct small amounts…50c for prescription, and euro per doc visit , but can anybody explain more please!
Can anybody help me understand all this.

Someone will come in with the actual percentages, but basically…

CPAM (French Health Services) covers anything from zero… to 35% and maybe to 70% of the actual costs… the patient is left to pick up the rest.

Many patients do NOT take out a Mutuelle… (a terrible risk in my view.)

For those who do take out a Mutuelle…

Mutuelles will pay a % of what CPAM pays… depending on what level of Mutuelle you have chosen.

If CPAM pays zero… generally Mutuelle pays zero… although, again, it will depend on the level of Mutuelle you have chosen…

When a Mutuelle says it will pay 100%… it means it will match what CPAM pays… (not the whole cost)

The S1 entitles the holder to enjoy the same level of health cover as any French citizen…

Settle down with a cup of tea…this is complicated if you are new to the system.

If you have a treatment that costs 100€, which is something CPAM pay 75% of you’d think you would get 75€ back from CPAM. But no! As their ‘base de remboursement’ could be much lower, say 50€ for that specific treatment. So you will only get 75% of 50€, ie 37.50€.

But no matter, my mutuelle will pay the rest surely? But no! If the level of cover you have taken out with your mutuelle is only 150% for that type of treatment, they will only pay up to 150% of the base de remboursement of 50€, so will only pay up to 75€.

So in this example CPAM pay 37.50€, and the mutuelle will pay another 37.50€ to bring you up to 75€, and you will have to pay the remaining 25€.

Clear as mud??

So the first thing to look at is what level of cover you have taken out with your mutuelle. You should have a small card, like a credit card, and on the back will be a table with incomprehensible acronyms, and percentages underneath.

So as an example the acronym OPT, which is optical costs, could be set at 150%, and HOSP, which is hospital at 300%. So you can see exactly what you are covered for. It is quite possible that your cardiologist is secteur 2, so allowed to charge much more than the CPAM base de remboursement. In which case unless you have a high level of cover from your mutuelle you won’t get that much back. And if you booked an urgent appointment “privée”, then it will cost you more too even if they are secteur 1.

Here is a link to the Ameli pages which shows the percentages CPAM pay for the different acts, and then the costs of each act

2 Likes

Unfortunately there are circumstances where the cost of a mutuelle is just too onerous. The middle level for a couple in their 70s is over 200 euros a month - 2,400 euros a year. Year in year out, and the premium only goes in one direction. We have dropped down to hospitalisation only and may think again next year with a view to putting it back up. It’s a very tough call at the moment.

1 Like

We too just have hospitalisation now. So far this has saved us about 2000€, so we have a pot saved for a rainy day in case of unforeseen medical expenses outside hospital ones - like a long course of kiné for example.

1 Like

Sue there are some lowcost mutuelles specifically for those on low incomes. I was told about them by the Mairie, since I know elderly folk on very, very low incomes…

EDIT: This applies to French folk just as much as immigrants.
One recent sad case has left the extended family trying to scratch together the necessary funds to cover unpaid bills… all from a totally unexpected incident.

1 Like