Salicru ups

Hi all

I have a SALICRU UPS (uninterruptible power supply) which has been very useful as our power can go on and off several times a day, especially during thunderstorms. (Although it does seem more reliable in the last year)

Unfortunately it seems to have failed ( not during a storm) with all the lights on but zero power out. I have connected the outputs to the two straight through sockets which are still working. But of course it will be of no use as an UPS.

I bought this through the UK (before BREXIT) and looking online at SALICRU,s website it doesn’t seem to list any French suppliers. Has anyone bought one of these from a French agent? As I would like to try to get it repaired.

Regards

Nick

Unless under warranty, or it’s the battery probably not worth it.

There is an office just outside Bordeaux (Complexe Indar Rue Charles Nungesser - Bat A Blanquefort 33290) according to the Salicru web site, I suppose it would not hurt to ask their advice.

But as @billybutcher says probably uneconomical to repair/replace battery, but these might supply the right one

What model of Salicru UPS by the way?

Soho 2000 model. I did wonder if it could be the battery. I changed the battery out in a small ups I use for the heating controls, so maybe I could do this one.

Not sure why but I cant see France on the SALICRU website.

Regards

Nick

These small UPSes mistreat their batteries badly, they are typically not cheap to replace but are basically a consumable.

Go to https://www.salicru.com/gb-en/trade-delegation.html choose region, Europe, then France and their French office address should pop up.

If you go to https://www.salicru.com/gb-en/distributors.html and choose France there seems to be a distributer in Perpignan as well.

Batteries should be available through the normal 3rd party channels.

Hi I took out the batteries and replaced them (only for a moment ) with two car batteries. The UPS worked so I assume the batteries are knackered (unless the charging system is kaput).

So two new batteries which seem to be about €80 online.

Regards

Nick

Every single one I have ever had has had a battery problem at some stage, even a couple of Eaton models. Reliable is not a word I associate with them, especially in somewhat irregular power supply environments, precisely the kind of thing they are supposed to be bought for ! :angry:

Generally they have worked well for us, I replaced the battery in a small UPS that I bought in France, which is now on the heating controls. The main computers and Livebox are on the SALICRU that failed and I got a second SALICRU for the TV and Skybox.

I think the failed SALICRU is about four years old, we used to get a lot of power cuts in our area especially on off glitches. although the grid seems a lot more reliable now.

We also suffer from lightning strikes, I realise that the UPS will not save us from a very close strike. We have one a few years ago that friends across the valley saw and thought that it had hit the house. It was so close that it took out a video surveillance camera, the pool bot power supply and the live box.

Most are just lead acid batteries arent they, nothing fancy like lithium?

At work, we used backup generators. But then, we did have large climate controlled environmental chambers running for several months at a time. I did have UPS backed test cabinets by my desk for development testing and they worked very well. Big buggers they were, and on one of them, the enclosure started to bulge noticeably which made me worried. It still worked though and the batteries did get replaced a few weeks later without any issues. I guess some UPS are more rugged than others.

Yes.

There are â€‰UPS systems which use lithium batteries but they seem largely relegated to the professional solutions that cost $$$$.

Sounds like a result.

These SOHO UPS systems which boast impressive power outputs but have runtimes measured in minutes typically have small capacity sealed lead acid batteries which are completely abused.

I have an APC unit rated at 1500VA, it has 2x 12V 18AH batteries - 432WH. In theory enough to supply full load for 20 minutes.

In practice I think it is rated for six - the problem is that 1500VA is 6.25A at 240V - but 62.5A on the battery - plus a bit to cover losses in the inverter. SLAs really don’t like being loaded up to 3.5C - the 18AH rating is usually at C/18 (i.e a 1A discharge current) and you have to de-rate them at higher currents.

The batteries have done well to last that long - 2-3 years seems typical.

I have mine at 180VA/150W ish max, even then the batteries don’t last (one trick is to reduce how often the UPS does a calibration run, the default on mine is every 2 weeks which is really too often as it runs the load on the battery until almost exhaustion to work out available runtime).

When I replace the batteries I might see if I can wire four into it - lowering the current on each battery will increase useful lifetime.

Edit: There is a typical datasheet for the 12V 18AH battery which is common in these UPS systems here, one thing which stands out is this table.

At 69A (what the load on the battery would be, roughly, with a 1500VA load) you get 5mins to 1.6V/cell - that is really, really deeply discharged and will damage most cells - but that’s what the UPS manufacturer claims is the runtime. So, if you have a full load on one of these things, and hold out for the stated runtime you will basically destroy the battery the first time.

These units are designed to allow graceful shutdown of connected equipment, nothing else. If you need more buy a long runtime version.

Thats what I have done in the past to suit important loads for a bit longer. Lead acid batteries can only use 50% of their designed capacity without permanent damage.

1 Like

I checked my Eaton 650va (just for livebox) yesterday, batteries knackered but looks like spares are available for about €30. Had it since 3/18 so not done bad.

Would AGM batteries be more suitable to deep discharge applications?

That’s what the cellular network test vehicles had fitted, but they were spec’d to supply 15 Amps at 12V DC for 5 hours. I think the batteries were 4 x 100Ah.

UPSes should already have batteries suitable for deep discharge.

When I tested it out with two car batteries (2x12v) I only connected it for a few seconds as I wasn’t sure if the charging system could cope.

I see the batteries are Two BB Battery HR1234W (12V,34WPC/15min./1.30VPC/25C glued together.

Looking online I can get the same batteries in the UK for about £30 but in France I can’t see these exact batteries but when searching BB battery HR9-12 comes up for about the same price any idea if they are an exact match?

As battery technology has progressed are UPS now being made with lithium ion batteries and if so are they better in terms of lifetime?

I have been thinking of installing a solar panel roofed car port and putting in a home battery ( like Tesla Power wall but probably a less expensive version) has anyone any experience of this.

The charging system should be OK - the correct way to charge SLA’s is initially with a current limited phase (but limiting the max voltage to the desired end change voltage), then a constant voltage float charge.

If you put two batteries in parallel, or a larger capacity battery it (they) will simply charge more slowly - which will tend to lengthen the battery lifespan anyway.

1 Like

Trying to but its a slower process than I would like due to always facing more pressing projects when we arrive. Did put a small 30 watt panel and charge controller 12v to keep my lawnmower batteries from dying over winter.
The main project has only 1 panel over in France at the moment its around 400 watt. Fortunately we stripped out a newish UPS at work and I got the batteries from that giving me around 9kw per day usable battery.