Satellite Broadband Experience and Recommendations

A 4G antenna should be outside the house and high in order to receive a 4G-signal - especially in the countryside. Which is why it is best on the roof and on the TV-mast (if such exists).

The antenna itself is a thin flat-and-square box and looks like [this].

Nope - it sits in a window pointing towards the mast. Works a treat. No TV mast - he uses IPTV like me.

{So not sure where you get your network info but it’s patently wrong}

You obviously do not live in the Gers.

There is virtually no 4G in the countryside. If you knew the slightest thing about marketing, you’d understand that the companies are installing the 4G antennas in the most populous parts of France.

Duhhhhhhh …

Well slap my arse and call me Donald !!! I’ve lived in the Ariege for 14 years and never knew it was one of the most populous areas of France! (possibly because it’s one of the lowest!!! - even lower than the Gers)

In fact the Bouygues 4G box is not generally available to folks in heavily populated areas - to specifically avoid overloading the 4G mobile networks! It’s roll-out is targeted solely at rural areas - which you’d know if you knew the slightest thing about their marketing.

Duhhhhhhhhh… :slight_smile:

{ is virtually no 4G in the countryside. If you knew the slightest thing about marketing, you’d understand that the companies are installing the 4G antennas in the most populous parts of France.}

There’s 4G in the countryside. You are very wrong. I have already installed it in four other places here in the Gers and none of them in a large town.

One needs simply to know how to find it.

But, with your infantile attitude, I’m stopping this exchange here.

Over and out …

Tony - are you quite alright or have you been drinking? You’re quoting and arguing with yourself!!!

I enjoy 4G in my part if the countryside and in the bits that I visit on my travels.

How did you get on and what solution did you opt for? How is it working for you?

Another alternative is Wimax but I have no experience of that system.

We have wimax. We live in a remote area of Burgundy (which is why I don’t post on this forum very often) with a dodgy telephone line and an intermittent mobile connection. The fastest adsl we ever got was 1.6 Mbs but usually it was nearer to 1.0 until the copper wires began to fail completely and Orange just don’t care.

In January we changed to Alsatis wimax, which costs €43 per month. We now consistently get at least 6.0 Mbs, which is unlimited. We kept our original landline number and can phone all over with voip. We can also phone mobiles in France foc.

Exactly the same package with SFR used to cost us €35 so wimax is more expensive but worth it just for the extra speed. AFAIK Alsatis, Nordnet and Ozone offer wimax. Can’t say if Alsatis are good if you get a problem because everything has always worked faultlessly.

Nice… can you suggest any 4G router as you adviced to use ?

Hi, I just stumbled upon your question Mark so I’ll chip in with my experience.
I use an TP-Link Archer MR600 and a Huawei B535-252. Both perform fine though when our local network was overloaded recently due to the lockdown the Huawei seemed to reconnect more quickly when the “line” dropped. Both are easy to configure and both are around €110 depending where you source them.

Huawei - are you mad I thought they were riddled with covid-19! As demonstrated in their 5G masts.

And on another planet…

And it streams everything that’s happing chez moi straight to Beijing, or Peking as I prefer to call it.

I am moving to a remote part of Burgundy, do you find that wimax is still the best solution?

This was posted a long time ago, does anyone have any updated recommendations for strong internet in the Burgundy countryside, Druyes-les-Belles-Fontaines to be specfic?

@cat @james :thinking:

1 Like

Hi, please amend your user name to your full real name please as per our T&C. Thanks.

I live and work about 30 - 40 minutes from you (Vezelay). I have just a Live Box Orange connection for Internet & wifi works fine for me. I down load & up load in Gbits daily no problem.
BTW you’ll have to amend your name to your full real name to stay on this forum.