Saying Goodbye to my Chocolate Child today

HI,
My name is Shauna. I am moving to Bordeaux in the next few months, hubby is transferring....that is if my oncology visit goes ok which is tomorrow. Have had some issues.

Today I have to send Ms. Ellie my 14 year old chocolate lab to play with all the doggies in heaven. She has had severe hip dysplasia and I have been worried that I would have to put her down because of that, but she has esophageal paralysis and has had episodes where she had trouble breathing. This morning at 6am after I let her out she had a very rough time, her tongue turned grey and she collapsed.

To look at her now you would never know anything is wrong but I can't watch her suffocate to death. We are going out in Lab style. She has had a sausage biscuit for breakfast and I am taking her to Mcdonalds for lunch...I never feed her junk but today is her special day. I have a roasted chicken ready for dinner and then to the vet.....

I have cried all day but I know its what is best. Please say a prayer for Ms. Ellie, she has been the sweetest best dog I have ever had....I am going to miss her... Love you Ellie

Shauna

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone for your support. At 7 pm on Thursday we all sat on the floor surrounding Ellie including our vet and they gave her A sedative...She went into a sound sleep and we sent her to heaven to be with her mommy Tootsie Roll ...I hope heaven is full of tennis balls!. Mommy loves you Ms. Ellie..

I have to say for what it was, I will treasure the peaceful and all so patient way our vet handled this process. She sat with me long after she passed petting her and talking about stories about Ellie. I will be forever grateful to her for her compassion. It gave me complete closure...

Catherine, Stuart and Dierdre, I am so sorry to hear about your pups... my heart goes out to you all.

On a brighter note. Is anyone familiar with a place near Bordeaux The Centre Aliénor school for guide dogs for the blind? Once I get moved and settled I thought I might ck into this..

Hugs,

Shauna

So sorry Shauna, we went through that last year with our Poppy (boxer). We thought we could keep her longer even though we were having to "wheel barrow" her around if she wanted to go out. But the last day she must have had some sort of stroke and we knew she was really not well when she refused baguette. I too have a lump in my throat writing this. Oh well, at least you know how to make her last day a good one. Bisous, Stu

So sorry for you at this painful time, I have a lab too and am dreading 'that' day

Love your send off, made me cry and smile at the same time.

Virtual hugs to both you and Ellie

and my heartfelt thoughts.

Dear Shauna

I am so very sorry. I had exactly the same thing with Nils before Christmas - just because it is the right thing to do doesn't make it easy. Thinking of you and sending you a huge virtual hug xxxx

Shauna, there's nothing I can say that will make you feel any less raw, but I promise, it will get better and you will be able to remember Ellie with a smile. Sending lots of virtual hugs. Come back and talk to us when you need to and post a photo of the happy times when you are ready.
We all understand.

XXX

Judy

Thank you Carolyn.....I am dreading this especially since she looks so happy and healthy otherwise. I want her to go peacefully and I want to remember her wagging her tail....but it's killing me inside to watch her stare at me with those trusting eyes.....Thanks so much again for your support!

Hi Shauna, I really feel for you - so much so I have a tear in my eye as I write this. I have been there too. Animals are such good company and fun to have around, I can't imagine my life without them, but they are heart breakers too. You know you are doing the right thing. Good luck tomorrow. I am a bit further south but get to Bordeaux from time to time so perhaps we will see each other. Enjoy the McDonalds!