Scotland and Sport

Well, we have had a busy old month! We have been on holiday for the first time in three years and we thoroughly enjoyed it. More of that in a minute. We have also been out and about before the holiday and again after we came back as things are getting more and more back to “normal”. We have been doing all our usual routine stuff too …which is becoming difficult now at the end of the month as we try to fit in all this sport on TV…including Wimbledon, which I am thrilled to be watching again after 15 years of being unable to see much of it on French TV. Again, more of that, later

So, to start at the beginning, my birthday lunch was very nice even if my son, daughter in law and grandchildren didn`t make it after all, as their car broke down just outside Edinburgh. Our lunch was lovely…The Hidden River café does wonderful food and as it was a nice day, we managed to eat outside which was great. Poor Matthew and Susie had a less pleasant day, as their car was taken away on the back of a lorry (never to be seen again for almost a week – it’s a long story!) and they were eventually able to get home, after sourcing a hire car, about 9pm. Their car saga continued, as it transpired that their garage had been putting in the wrong oil (yes, I know, I too thought oil was oil!) and this had completely wrecked the engine. All has eventually been sorted out now and the garage is paying for a replacement engine. This work should be done this week and in the mean time they have been riding in a very small (very similar carto ours!) courtesy car. It was a real shame that I didn’t get to see them all on my birthday, but we did meet up with them later in the month at our usual halfway place, Carnforth, for a nice day which we all enjoyed.

As we were due to go away on holiday on the 6th June, I thought I`d better sort out some suitable stuff to wear and pack. Again, I was caught out by the amount of weight I have lost and all my nice summer frocks looked like sacks! Off I went into Carlisle then, to get a couple of replacements - with success I hasten to add. It is much easier buying things in a size 14 than my usual heffalump sizes! I could go happily on holiday then. I even had my nails done - a birthday gift from Geoff :blush:

And so, the holiday. We had a really great trip and did many miles touring Scotland. We visited lots of places I hadnt been to since I was a child and lots of new places for me too. Geoff had not been to many at all. We started off in Dunblane staying with some friends, Ewan & Jean, who we had met on one of the cruises, a while ago. It was lovely to see them again and they were fantastic hosts, taking us for a great days tour of the Trossachs which we thoroughly enjoyed. As I know Ewan reads this blog every month, Ill say many thanks again E & J for your kindness and hospitality. And I really recommend their B and B…contact me for details my friends 😊. After Dunblane, we had a night in Edinburgh, where I relived a bit of my midwifery training days & we met up with Matthews in laws for a meal in the evening – again lovely to see them & and a chance to catch up on all the family news. From Edinburgh we headed off to Pitlochry, and then to Inverness. Both lovely places – and we got the chance to put our feet (nothing else, as the water was freezing) into the beautifully clear sea just north of Inverness. Our next night was in Ullapool – the furthest north we got for an overnight stay. We did drive a little bit further north on the NC500 along the coast. The scenery on this route is truly stunning and if you can ignore all the campervans and motorcycles, it is really worth seeing. From Ullapool, we started to drive slowly southwards, again along the NC500 route a lot of the time and had one night of pure luxury in Gairloch, where we had a fabulous room overlooking the bay. Unfortunately…we also had rain, so the proposed dip in the sea didnt happen! Our next night was on Skye, in Portree, where we stayed in a very expensive Band B and that was the worst of all the places we stayed and, in my opinion, a real rip off moneywise. The room was very small (nowhere to put our cases) and breakfast turned out to be a “do-it-yourself” affair in a shared kitchen, where we did not think Covid rules were being met at all. I was very cross here, as his idea of “continental” breakfast consisted of cereals, supermarket yoghurts, sliced bread to toast and jam! All of course, not on my diet! This cost £110 a night! I definitely do not recommend it! We were a bit disappointed by Skye in general really – maybe we didn’t go to the right spots on our drive around it –it was pretty enough, but not as spectacular as wed hoped. I was also very disappointed not to see any otters having hiked to a well-known otter spotting hide. We did see dolphins and seals though…but the otters stayed at home that day :frowning:

The next stop was Mallaig, which we got to via the great CalMac ferry (I know, Im odd, but I love CalMac ferries!) Mallaig was lovely…but it was another miserable day. We even had to ask for the heating to be put on in our room. After Mallaig, we headed to Oban, where we had another lovely (if expensive) hotel room with a great view over the harbour. We also got caught out big style here by all the Covid regulations, as we are really not used to “booking ahead” at all. Our first stop when we arrived was to go and investigate the times of the ferries to Mull for the next day…only to discover they were booked up for a week! I had looked on the internet and it had said no prior booking necessary…but I suspect that was pre Covid days. After discussion with the girl on the desk, we bought stand by tickets to go and definite return tickets for coming back. We did get there, by turning up at 6am the next day along with all the tradesmen and lorries, and managed to get on the first ferry of the day. So, I got my day in Mull after all…and a splendid day it was too. I loved every minute of it ...despite not seeing any otters yet again at a well- known bay “where there are always otters to be seen!” We also got caught out by our lack of foresight in Oban, the “seafood capital of Scotland”, and couldnt get a table in any of the good seafood restaurants there! We did eat well, just outside the town one night, and we ate the most delicious moules frites in a fish and chip shop the next night, so all wasnt entirely lost! Our last night was spent in Drymen, near Loch Lomond, so almost completing a full circle. We had one last stop the next day, on the way home, to allow me to visit Milngavie, where I had spent lots of time as a child, as my aunt & and uncle lived there. Although the loch, where I used to feed the ducks, was much the same, nothing else was! It was after all a very long time ago! So ended a wonderful holiday. We saw some stunning scenery, dabbled our feet in the sea off both the east and west coasts, stayed in some lovely hotels, ate well, and saw 4 out of the Scottish big 5 wildlife species in the wild (deer, red squirrels, dolphins and seals) …but no otters! We did see some wonderful flowers though...it was rhododendron and azalea season, as well as bluebells galore. We didnt drive many hours each day and so had lots of time to go “off piste” whenever we wanted to see things which interested us, such as standing stones (Geoff) and gardens (me). All in all, we had a great time.

We are still adjusting to normal life again now we are back home. Fathers day was celebrated by Geoff, who was dog sitting for our pooch Xena that weekend, whilst Hazel and Phil went to visit Phils dad. Geoff is back to his daily dog walks again…much to Xenas delight. She had spent most of the mornings that we were away, lying in the hallway waiting for his arrival each day! I am back working in the charity shop…and still loving it! I have also had another visit to the eye clinic where I had to have an injection in only my left eye this time, which hopefully means that things are improving 😊 We are also back to our Wednesday lunches out too…we went to The Trout in Cockermouth last week which was lovely. We have been swimming too again, although I am missing my pal Linda, who is in Australia at the moment visiting her daughter and her new grandson. Geoff is filling in gallantly as my swimming partner…but he doesnt talk while he swims! Its very quiet, and boring!

I am back to watching the Osprey nest footage from Foulshaw Reserve again now too. Those baby birds have grown so much since we went away. I think it will be about another 12 days before the biggest chick starts to fly. It is amazing to watch all their progress via these cameras.

And so, we come now to the sport. Oh, my goodness…it’s a bit overwhelming at the moment isnt it? After years of being in a Wimbledon wilderness in France, I am determined to make the most of the TV coverage this year. I have actually been to Wimbledon a few times when I was younger and loved every minute of it. The tennis was good too 😊 I am not a fan of Rafa, so him not being here is not a problem for me, and watching Roger Federer play is always great. As is watching Andy Murray…but after that match on Monday, I needed a lie down in a darkened room to recover. As, Im sure, did he! So, Im all set for a great two weeks of tennis. However, there is also the football. Happily, Geoff can take that or leave it…he misses his son for watching footie really. But some matches still have to be watched apparently. He was quite wrung out watching the dying stages of the French/Swiss match on Monday night. We both went to bed exhausted…him by the footie & me by Mr. Murrays efforts! As if this wasnt enough, we also have the Tour de France just now. Having spent many years in France, watching this most of the day, I cannot summon much enthusiasm these days for watching these guys…especially as I am struggling to recognise many names up front at the moment. Geoff still enjoys it, but is not enjoying the English commentary as much as he did the French. Apparently, there are no descriptions of the routes scenery or buildings of interest as there is on French TV! However, Le Tour has to be fitted in around the tennis this year Im afraid! For once Im in charge of the TV remote!

Now its on into July we go. Summer seems to have finally arrived here in Cumbria as we are experiencing some nice warm weather, which is great. Today we are off out for lunch again, but we are venturing a bit further afield, to Ravenstonedale, where we hope to visit a Wildlife Trust wild flower meadow this afternoon. We are off to Manchester too this weekend, to babysit our grandchildren while Matthew and Susie escape for a night away and then we have a couple of dates marked on the calendar to do things, that we haven`t done for a while. But more of that next time! For now

A bientot mes amis

Hi Christine,m it is many moons ago since I went to Ravenstonedale. It is nice to hear you mentioning place names which are familiar to me.
Our daughter and family are hiring a campervan and doing the NC500 route. They booked it to keep themselves to themselves due to Covid.
It is appalling weather here in Saone et Loire, hardly swimming at all.
Stay safe and well
Jane

Ravenstonedale was fabulous today…mini heatwave here! The wildflower meadow was also lovely. We ate at the Fat Lamb …lovely food & sat in the garden. The NC 500 was absolutely lovely but it does get clogged with campervans and the road is very narrow in places. Having said that we were really pleased at how good drivers were in pulling into passing places. I hope your daughter enjoys her holiday :slight_smile: