Scottish court rules prorogation unlawful

Well, that puts a cat amongst the pigeons!!

2 Likes

Government will appeal, but do they have to recall parliament I wonder?

Probably, maybe, who knows, Johnson to appear before Select Committee tomorrow I believe but I guess events will unfold during the day.

This also means the documents demanded by the humble address need to be produced which should add to the entertainment.

1 Like

Absolutely, here’s some popcorn guys :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: plenty for everyone …let’s sit back and enjoy. :laughing:

well, that says he lied to the Queen - OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

1 Like

Apparently not unless the Supreme court also rules the prorogation unlawful next week.

That’s a shame, but at least we have something to look forward to next week.

Don’t get your hopes up too high - it’s complex.

Well, I note he says the chances of success in London are zero…and I’m a pessimist by nature.

They’ll likely win the appeal so bit of an irrelevance, in the meantime Johnson will simply carry on with electioneering, he might even have some time to get a deal.:grinning:

IIRC the Scottish law case hinged (inter alia) on the fact that no-one from the Government was prepared to sign an affidavit giving the reason behind the prorogation because of the likely personal legal consequences.
The question I ask is simply this; wtf was the Attorney General doing? He is the Government’s law officer. Was he complicit in this lie?

Think your comment says it all, the Attorney General is working for the government

So, you are saying he is as guilty as the lying cheating PM?

Rebel Tory MP Dominic Grieve said Mr Johnson would have to resign if he is found to have misled the Queen about suspending parliament.

That would be the decent thing, yes.

Which suggests to me that he wouldn’t do it unless forced.

But the number of reasons that Johnson might have to resign is starting to stack up - I will be surprised if he is still PM by Christmas.

1 Like

The Scottish judges gave their opinion but didn’t suggest any course of action be taken, in effect it means very little so only the Supreme Court ruling carries any weight.

The Supreme Court ruling won’t be handed down until at least week beginning 23 Sept according to Gina Miller.

They don’t exactly need to - they have declared the prorogation “null and void” so, technically, it is as if the prorogation never happened.

Ms Miller has sent this letter to the government.

https://twitter.com/thatginamiller/status/1171793471889444864/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1171793471889444864&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fpolitics%2Fblog%2Flive%2F2019%2Fsep%2F11%2Fbrexit-latest-news-public-would-not-benefit-from-hearing-official-worst-case-no-deal-assumptions-says-leadsom-live-news

Apparently some Labour MPs are ‘sitting’ in the Commons Chamber. Might be a good idea for all the opposition MPs, and the Speaker, to simply turn up.

3 Likes

“They don’t like it up 'em Mr Mainwaring” comes to mind from the comments to this by the breshiteers who suggest that it carries no weight and that they (the remoaners) chose the Scottish courts for an improper reason…
Errr… wasn’t the Queen sitting at Balmoral at the time and isn’t that in… errr Scotland?
You have to admire their neck :roll_eyes:
Hoist by their own petard. They chose their timing because the Queen was in scotland and under a little known procedure which has spectacularly backfired on them.

4 Likes