Selling House-Legal Advice needed

Have decided to sell house, estate agent has told me that it will not make the asking price. Partner has refused to lower the price and is staying put. Half of the house is mine, he has made me a stupid offer and said that that is the only offer on the table. Does anybody have any idea of what to do, only speak a little French. We live near to Limoges.

Are you and your partner separating?

Why not contact your local Notaire … find out where you stand.

Yes we are, am at the moment staying with a friend in the Lot as he is making my life unbearable at the house!

However, keep having to go back as I know that I have got to keep my proverbial toe in the door to remind him that it is not his house!

That is what my friends have told me. However, my local Notaire only speaks French!

Jennifer, then you need to “find a friend” or “find a Notaire” - who speaks both languages.

under what sort of agreement? a friendly arrangement or a legal one (such as en tontine)?

On the deeds of the house, we each own half

I have been recommended to a lady who will act as an interpreter, so I think that I am going to have to go down that route

Well, at least talk with her and see how you feel. I hope she interprets for free :wink: - it’s not rocket science. You only need to know where you stand.

Good luck.

I sympathise but it sounds like there isn’t going to be an easy resolution - as Stella says the Notaire should be able to tell you if there is anything you can do in law to force his hand.

Have you made a counter-offer?

I recall one case, went all the way to Court.

Final Outcome after much nastiness, was that the property had to be sold elsewhere (ie not to either of the “names”) and the money divided between them. No-one gained in that instance - except the Purchaser who got a good deal.

I think it was a little more complicated than your situation though - so fingers crossed the Notaire can advise your next step.

Yes, the house is on the market for 149,000. I said to him if he offered me nearer 65,000 then I might consider this, but he steadfastly refuses. Have tried, but no go…

I think I’ll use that line on the plumber next time he comes to fix a leak.
“I hope you fix leaks for free - it’s not rocket science” :grin: :grin: :grin:

3 Likes

Anna… we have not been told that this person is a professional.

Around here we have quite a good community spirit. If someone needs a French speaker to help them - they ask a friend, neighbour or whoever and someone will be found or recommended.

I am presuming that is what has happened - since Jennifer only wants to ask a simple question.

Talking of fixing leaks… we have a lot of helpful folk in the DIY line. Mending minor leaks, squeaking gates all sorts of good neighbour stuff.

If one wants a complicated job - obviously one uses a professional

With regard to asking the Notaire a question - that is not complicated.

Once the reply is given… then Jennifer will know whether or not she wants to employ a professional Translator to help with a future procedure.

Can I call on you sometime Stella :pray::wink:
I’m not sure if our notaire is exceptional. but she has never taken payment for any work she has done for us. Admittedly, most of it has been information, but some has involved typed papers and we must have had a ream of of it over time!

1 Like

Sorry, the Lot is a little too far.

where is the property located (no address just a nearby town)

I would also ask other estate agents about their opinion of the saleability of the house, and do your own research about prices of other similar properties in the area. You can now find out real sold prices of properties.