Selling insurance write off

Long story that I wont bore you with but result is we have a car to dispose of which is economically repairable and far too good to scrap. Insurance has paid us to replace it . We are in possession of Carte Gris still but it has been blocked by insurance company appointed expert so officially we can only sell it to an authorised professional. Issue now is that we have been offered more than we expected for it from someone who wants to export it, They say it’s legal and they don’t need to be a professional but obviously I’d like to double check this before I enter into further discussion with them. My initial reaction was ‘this sounds dodgy’ but I see numerous ads for accident damage cars with ‘to authorised professional or for export only’ on Le Bon Coin. My only concern is how to sort the carte gris out so that I can cancel the insurance and be removed as keeper of the car IF this export route is above board. Thank you for any info, i’ve trawled ANTS site etc ( not fun…. ) .

I don’t know :slightly_smiling_face: But, if the car has been declared a write off and you have been reimbursed surely the car is now the property of the Insurance company and they have to dispose of it? That was the case when I had an accident that resulted in my car being written off.

1 Like

Like John I’d assume that he vehicle is now the property of the insurer - I’m surprised they haven’t arranged to take it off yuor hands.

Perhaps @fabien can comment

1 Like

Thanks for reply both - the car is definitely our responsibility- we requested written confirmation from insurance because we also fully expected car to be retained by them and wondered why nobody was requesting we sign it over and give them carte gris. We got written confirmation that it is ours and has to remain insured until we fix or sell it. It was a direct recourse claim on a third parties insurance and involved three experts…… the original one ( who valued the car at €6000 less than the other two!!!) is the one who put the block on carte gris. It’s the export situation I really would like some info on if possible.

Like John and Billy guessed it’s no longer yours. The fact that you’ve been paid means you’ve accepted the insurance offer for the compensation of your claim. And it’s important to understand that, following the expert’s assessment, the claim is now considered as: car being written off. In such a situation the process is always the same, the insurance company compensate you for your loss (loss of the vehicle) and therefore you already got compensated so it’s no longer your decision to make and you can’t consider your vehicle as still yours. Not to mention that the scheme and offer you’ve described is also dodgy indeed so it’s probably in your best interest to just “leave things as is”.

3 Likes

I have written confirmation from insurance that car is still mine. I can’t just leave as is as I am still paying €65 euros per month for a car I don’t use. I cant cancel the insurance until car is sold or scrapped legally. I’m being told I can sell it legally for export as it is but I wanted another opinion on this. As I said before I have seen multiple ads offering the same options ( sale to authorized professional OR for export,) which is why I am trying to get more info on this point. I have carte gris, I, like you, assumed insurance would want it or need us to sign something to hand car over and I am the one that contacted them asking for confirmation as I wanted to stop paying insurance on it. They couldn’t be clearer in their answer - car is mine to either have repaired myself or sell and file is closed. I’m aware it’s not what normally happens but this didn’t go the way a normal claim should go ( three experts, direct recourse on landowners insurance). It might not be standard but it’s what I’m dealing with! insurance companies are AXA (mine, who won’t let me cancel insurance until vehicle sold / scrapped) and GAN - who paid under direct recours claim done by indépendant expert. Both confirm car is still mine to deal with. If anyone knows about the selling for export issue I would be grateful.

Odd situation though - you seem to have been left with a car that you cannot dispose of easily.

Exactly! It’s a bit of a headache to be honest. The car really should never have been written off as the other two experts agreed it was economically repairable ( because they valued it properly!) it’s far too good a vehicle to scrap and could be a great buy for someone - we’re not after cashing in, it’s more that we don’t want to be forced to waste a perfectly good car that someone could get years of use from.

Start here Peut-on vendre une voiture accidentée avec sa carte grise ? (portail-cartegrise.fr)

Thanks David. I had trawled that site before posting and couldn’t find anything pertinent to my particular set of circumstances but I’ll try again!

Not an expert but might your first port of call be the “expert” who blocked it together with the offer from your proposed buyer (presumably also in writing) to ask what can be done towards expediting its disposal?
Either (and/or) that contacting a local garagiste who is authorised to take it with you acting as middle man to facilitate its onward disposal.
As an aside, what is the nature/exact wording of the “written confirmation” as that may be significant in the circumstances?

Thank you for your reply. The original expert has been a total pain to deal with… won’t return calls, answer emails etc but I may just sent a recorded delivery letter asking for block to be removed and provide copy of other two experts reports. It’s worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

In my experience, that is the only way you will ever get a reply from someone who is proving evasive. Good luck!

I suggest you speak to your local notaire it may be free if he/she does not prepare any documents just advice They have sorted many problems out for me in the past

Thank you, good idea - ours is really helpful and I tend to forget they cover more issues than property and inheritance!