Selling U.K. Registered van in France

where is it located as im interested. could you send me some pics please.

Located in calvados

tad too far for a test drive alas. back to hunting

For anyone interested in the van… Please note.

Mark has been upfront. UK Registration (SORN), NO Tax, no MOT, no Insurance… which all means that the van should not be driven on public roads… it would be illegal to do so.

Seems pretty clear that the Buyer will need a car-trailer of some sort to take the van away.

Except, technically, it’s not on SORN. It can’t be. It’s a vehicle exported to France awaiting registration.
Just out of interest Mark, is your name on the V5? The next owner will need a complete paper trail from the previous registered owner to themselves. I know, I’ve been there. I needed paperwork to link the previous owner to the person who’s name was on the registration document.

( I am determined to have a calm day) …Picking over the bones…it could well be the most important point for any would-be Buyer… that the vehicle has no Insurance… thus cannot go on public roads… and must be “trailered”.

Not even for a test-drive on public roads… nope… :zipper_mouth_face:

Spot on Stella. Your post could be copied onto other threads live at the moment, the one about honesty and the one about people taking responsibility for their actions.

1 Like

Yes everything in my name

1 Like

he said earlier in the post it has a French CT test doe on it under 6 months ago, so technically although is not on French plates its still passed a ct so is road worthy and as per the law here in France it should be insured even if not on the road as you legally have to have a vehicle insured here in France no matter where it is.

The OP’s van is no more legal or illegal than 0000’s of other UK reg’d vehicles you see on French roads.

Harry… as I said…

No Harry, that is incorrect. The car is not roadworthy in the country it is registered; it has no MOT, road tax or DVLA approved insurance so it must not be driven in France until it is registered here. Any leeway will have long disappeared as it should have been registered within a month of being brought into France. All that is before that other problem, as far as it’s licencing authority, the DVLA, believes, that van is sitting off the public roads in the United Kingdom. Legal? You’re having a laugh.

2 Likes

The van has a CT just like many other UK reg’d vehicles you see on the roads here, why is that illegal?

Because it has UK plates. If you bring a car into the country you have a month to get the vehicle registered. I believe you of all people know that because you have just imported a van. Having a mongrel with U.K. plates, French insurance and a CT does not make ur legal. Then there is the small detail of the SORN.
When I imported a VdC in 2015 I did not drive it until it had a French registration, CT and insurance. Having insurance alone would not have made it legal. I also brought a motorcycle with me when I moved here that was too powerful to be registered at the time. It sat locked in s small house for 18 months until the law changed and I could register it. That was inconvenient but followed the letter of the law.

1 Like

@Aquitaine So you are saying that all the UK reg’d vehicles here are illegal?

Tim I’ve read your posts, you know the answer as well as I do. I’m not repeating that scenario now. It’s been done to death. The internet is a wonderful thing, if you really want to know read what the DVLA and ANTS have to say. It’s very easy to understand. Honest. But you already know that.

1 Like

This issue comes up time and time again. It’s all down to interpretation of the letter of the law, for example the SORN, which if done is apparently automatically undone if the car is out of the UK, but you no longer have to pay road tax. Same with insurance, it is possible to keep an british insured and untaxed car on the road in france quite legally - you may have not decided to permanently export it, may be UK resident on a 6 month holiday.
The one month to register the car is flexible too, there can be difficulties getting the CoC, headlights changed in the given time, but this isn’t a problem for the French law enforcement agencies. And yes, I have experience of this.

IMO the OP’s van is not illegal and as you have told me on another thread everyone’s entitled to an opinion so we’ll just to agree to disagree.

Thanks for the clarification @Aquitaine I just saw he said it had a Control technique and figured that was all it needed.

@Stella thanks also I was reading his post as well hence my question.

I’m still unsure how a car could pass a Control Technique but not be legal but I’m trusting in your guys info being correct. Its too far to go for a car I cannot even drive or test anyhow.

To be honest I only came on here to post this for some advice not put in front of judge jury and executioner I did what I thought to be the right thing as with 99% of sites I searched for info on it becomes a debacle for people whilst showing an opinion making OP feel like crap for not understanding a foreign system I came here for help not for a guilt trip I do however know more now than I did

4 Likes