Selling U.K. Registered van in France

I don’t buy all that pony about insurance companies wanting to earn a few more euros to sell a policy my agent wouldn’t insure me on my Vespa. As I have not got the A1 on my license although French law says that if I can prove 5 years non stop riding no break in consistency I can ride legally and be insured hence my 6 years no claims bonus and cbt papers to prove they said I must do the 7 hours compulsory training and yes I have a buyer for the van and I have explained everything to them been honest and straight as and they are happy with that

1 Like

Plus the ants site unless you have a France connect account which I have but it won’t accept it ur knackered

Wishing you the best Mark…the vehicle sounds like an ok deal…the ANTS system sounds like it’s currently causing more problems than the problems previously encountered face to face at a prefecture…I’ve got all paws crossed that my 2002 Volvo will last my lifetime at least…! x :slight_smile:

sound ,like your all sorted Mark and you came here and got help needed with all the trump and truffle aside.

For anyone who’s interested, here’s the EU text on motor insurance
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN-FR/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32009L0103&from=FR
Particularly paras, 4, 5, 25, and para 27 which advises that insurers should cover foreign plated vehicles for 30 days while reregistration is carried out.
The main purpose of the directive is to ensure that accident victims across the EU will be compensated no matter what.

I’m not having a go at anything you’ve done Mark, it’s of no significance, it’s just I have a bit of a thing about misleading information on forums. It cuts both ways - it bugs me when people say ‘your insurance will be invalid if you don’t reregister your car’, because it won’t, and it bugs me equally when people say ‘there is no law saying you have to register your vehicle in France if you move here’, because there is.

As regards the Vespa, scooter insurance has been a hot potato in France for quite a long time. French insurance companies don’t like insuring scooters because the theft rate is so high and scooters are seen as a bad risk. A survey last year found that a scooter is stolen every 10 minutes in France, and 81% of those had anti theft devices fitted http://www.lefigaro.fr/automobile/2017/09/29/30002-20170929ARTFIG00138-vols-de-deux-roues-d-inquietantes-statistiques.php
So insurers aren’t likely to bend the rules to attract that kind of business, more likely the opposite and put obstacles in your path. As indeed they seem to have done.

1 Like

as always Anna. On the nail. Thanks for the info.

The OP can see as many other U.K. cars driving about as he likes. That changes nothing. All that matters is does his car comply with the law? The answer to that is no so it cannot be driven. Why is that so hard to understand?

1 Like

he knows now its what he came here to ask about. he is not questioning that other people are now debating this.

he is not driving round in the said van

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve said that the OP’s vehicle is legal David. You have to admit though that being told by people on a forum to get your vehicle off the road because you’re breaking the law might irk if having done that you see other Brits driving around in UK reg’d cars. As I also said the delay with the ANTS system put me in a awkward position and rather than not work I asked my insurers for further cover beyond the one month limit and they duly handed over a carte vert for a year which makes a whole mockery of the law IMO.

Tim, you go around in circles and find problems in answers that don’t exist. You said that the OP would be pissed off if he had to take his van off the road because he would know that other people were still driving around in U.K. reg vehicles. The answer to that is simple. If his vehicle is not legal it cannot be used.
You also asked a question about a problem your son had but as I read it there was no problem. Why invent things?
You were surprised that your insurance agent gave you more than one month’s cover on your new van. You look for any reason to make that sinister. I would look at it the other way, perhaps he knows and trusts you and is confident that you will register your van as soon as the ANTS system will allow.

Thank you for the lecture David, it’s the second one from you this weekend. Are you a teacher by any chance?:wink:

1 Like

No, just someone who reads what others write. It’s strange you see it as a lecture but I’m not asking you to explain. I’ve wasted enough time trying to work out what you’re getting at and the truth is you’re not. You post for the sake of posting.

1 Like

And that’s not a lecture?

quite a few people post for the sake of posting. :slight_smile:

Others because they have an opinion. Personally I like what @tim17 writes as he has opened up discussions and find his opinions very well presented and very open to discussion and have never found his points of view in your face.

As for those who drive on UK plates when they live here that is their choice and if their insurance refused to pay out because they did not change their plates then its their loss not any of ours. Also insurance companies continue year after year to reinsure these vehicles so where does the logic in that sit?

I don’t actually believe at any point in this dismal conversation I mentioned I am driving the said van and I would bet my bollocks that there are French nationals driving around illegally too

3 Likes

I think you will find it’s an observation.

The posts I was talking about had no point of view, they had no point. That’s what I was commenting on.

having no point of view is an opinion…

He was not giving an opinion either. He was floating scenarios that had black and white answered that he already knew the answers to. Fishing perhaps?

at least the OP gt some answers he needed.

1 Like