Sexual exploitation of children

A topic which needs to be bought out on a regular basis - like the weekly shopping -as a reminder because it is so easy to forget.

Great article. Can I sound a note of caution tho? Trying to "do my bit", I *liked* the article - and have now received 6 urgent emails asking whether my Facebook page has been hacked - because it now shows "

Graham likes Sexual exploitation of children .

So I am now branded to the world as a pervert!

Anyone know how to "Unlike" something??

The depths of depravity to which some members of the human race sink is unbelievably sickening. Is the only way out of such appalling behaviour to remove poverty? I get the feeling that there are some so lacking in a moral compass that they seek to indulge their depravity whatever the cost and while poverty is one factor it is not the only one.

Those poor kids.

Brian, another question, somewhat intractable: How can society be educated to behave reasonably towards those who are suspected of such crimes and subsequently proven innocent? I guess I'm thinking particularly of teachers who can have careers destroyed by malicious allegations, and who are subsequently forever viewed as suspect because there's no smoke without fire. Perhaps if the whole subject were brought more into the open people would be more reasonable? This is perhaps a factor that at the same time encourages some to make these allegations, and for the same but opposite reason discourages others because of a fear of the consequences even should the person be innocent. Complicated.

Couple of points Nick and Jane.

Nick, yes that is right. In the research world we divide ourselves up by skills and interests and there are some excellent people all over working on mental abuse in its many forms as well. There are always correlations and the child research 'community' is very tight - in 10 days my OH will be at a meeting at SciencePo in Paris with some of the best people in the Francophone world who are looking at many forms of abuse, there are projects and programmes in 80+% of countries worldwide and at least something happeming in the other 20%ish.

Jane 99% right. The 1% is that women are also involved. They sell their children or other people's children for sex, they are also clients (users of children) themselves and whilst it is overwhelmingly men using we also need to accept that somewhere around 10% of those sexually exploiting children are women. On the 'pimping' to use a single denominator for those selling child sex it is closer to 50-50. The largest part of the research community is women and that information is supported by them.

One nasty little fact is that there are people in such dire poverty and desperation that somebody convincing enough to buy any family member for child sex through to snuff movies is choosing very vulnerable people who see survival in the few dollars they receive and usually do not know what those family members are sold for. With children the word 'adoption' is almost always used in the sales pitch. Just to show you how sick it is, in SE Asia I bought a video tape of a boy of perhaps four having a sex change operation by real surgeons and the parts that were removed were held before the camera, displayed by smiling 'nurses' who put one part between her lips. What kind of medical people are those? So Jane, as right as you are, just add a bit more unpleasantness to it. But where you are so right is that we should talk about it in our homes and not consign it to the unmentionable 'taboos' we hold that almost ceratinly unwittingly aid and abet these crimes.

Brian, One of my moans is that young people who buy drugs are either unaware or unconcerned that their recreational drug habit is part of a much wider and murkier criminal network.

My daughter, who is a Financial Investigating Officer for one of the UK Constabularies, tells me that a great deal of them are not concerned.

Who are the men who are exploiting these children. You are right, they are your neighbours and friends.

Unless there is much more done to make the "users" pay,this sordid treatment of young people will continue for much longer.

I am glad to see this topic being aired on the Network, it should be talked about in all our homes and we should all be aware of the scandalous exploitation of young children.

This is to say nothing of the Indian women who are sold into prostitution by their own families, and widows who are no longer wanted are sold into the making of "snuff" movies, for the "enjoyment" and sexual excitement of men.

Interesting, well researched and provides a feeling of deep rooted concern. Everyone should open their eyes to what is really going on around them.

May I add there is mental abuse of children too that people perhaps do not even think they are inflicting on the children concerned. I'm thinking particularly of the recent case of the lady who had her eyes gouged by her partner. The children were in the house at the time and will have witnessed all of that. Obviously this is an extreme case and I mention it because it was recent, however the point is even second hand ie witnessed violence can have long lasting effects on a child.

I second the others, well said.

Oh Jo, if it is totally evident and the person can be caught easily (remember there may be lots of forensic evidence) then straight to the gendarmerie and just go straight to the point. If in doubt, local social services to get a social worker to support getting evidence if that is possible. Bottom line is that far too many people get away with it so whoever might find themself in that position might also need to know that not being able to nail the perpetrator is not a reason for self chastisement or guilt.

yes well said both, Just a question,

if someone on the forum suspects someone, what is the best way of reporting it?

Yes indeed, well said Brian.