Seymour Hersh

The great journalist Seymour Hersh, ex-New York Times and Pulitzer Prize winner, now denounced on Wikipedia as a “conspiracy theorist” for having released information that displeases the United States on Nordstream 2.

Hello Dominic and welcome to the forum.

I confess I can’t see the relevance to anglophones in France, perhaps you could expand.

4 Likes

Well, we had a post showing that the same thing is happening in UK.
I think it is important that there are people who keep us aware of what is happening and the continuing loss of freedom in our so called democracies, of which France is one.

It may have been edited since, but the only 3 uses of the word conspiracy are headlines of sources, nowhere in the actual article does it use that term. Or anything similar.

That said, I appreciate you may have just been using hyperbole and not meaning literally, but I thought actually the wiki article was actually very even handed, far more focus was on his long career and achievements, with the clarification that in these later stages of his career his use of anonymous sources has meant things may have gone awry lately. Perhaps the wiki editors have done a good job at clearing the article up, but this current version ive read seems perfectly fine.

1 Like

I know nothing of this topic but the great (and worst) thing about Wikipedia IMO Dominic is that you can “undenounce” him if you like and add your own argument and backup information :slightly_smiling_face:

On that topic, I’m happy to support them, it’s a pity only 2% of readers do.

"Dear John,

Please don’t skip this 1-minute read, it matters. My name is Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia. In 2022, you were part of the 2% of readers who donated to help us, thank you! Today, I humbly ask you again to reflect on the number of times you visited Wikipedia these past few months, the value you got from it, and whether you’re able to give €XX back. By donating before, you’ve become part of what keeps Wikipedia and the knowledge ecosystem that surrounds it growing - that’s something you should be proud of. I hope you’ll consider renewing that crucial support: if everyone reading this right now gave just a small amount, we’d hit our goal in a couple of hours.

We know it’s easy to ignore our messages. But we hope you’ll take one minute to think about how useful Wikipedia is in your life, and give us your support once more. Whether you’ve used Wikipedia to study or regularly get lost down unexpected rabbit holes, the joy of learning belongs to all of us. Let’s keep it that way.

With gratitude,
Jimmy Wales,
Founder of Wikipedia
On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation"

Absolutely, but the fact that the first post from a new member doesn’t have anything to do with the site’s normal aims makes one a little wary - as with another recent new topic (now deleted) one wonders if SF is just being used to increase Google rankings.

But I’m still in “benefit of doubt” mode.

1 Like