Shamima Begum

Whether aware or otherwise would be irrelevant - she said what she said and can be judged on those statements and should be in my view. This does not make me a spittle mouthed hate mongerer just another member of this forum with an opinion opposed to your own Peter.

4 Likes

In a lot of ways it is better that she didnā€™t know. At least we get a proper unsanitised version of her thoughts,not a cleaned up one

2 Likes

I donā€™t view you as a hate-monger Dan because you donā€™t write like one. I welcome different opinions, many of which enable me to modify my own.

But there are many unbridled hate-mongers around, and society at large is alarmed at the way they seem to be proliferating, as you have no doubt noticed yourself viz. widespread adolescent mental health crises, self-harm, suicide etc.

I didnā€™t notice anything insanitary about her comments, nor any need to clean them up. She spoke as frankly as many teenagers do, and from her personal convictions, which you may disapprove of, but are hardly unusual on both sides of this wretched conflict in the Middle East, which *we" started by the illegal invasion of Iraq on a false prospectus.

I heard nothing that was outrageous, unless you think it outrageous for someone who has lost two babies to be unfazed about a severed head in a war-zone.

1 Like

What I meant was had she known how widely her comments would be studied we may well have heard a version saying how bitterly she regretted her actions, how she now realises how wonderful the UK is how the severed heads really traumatised her etc

I think this will run and runā€¦ very difficultā€¦

I think we all need to count our blessingsā€¦:thinking:

1 Like

May have done, but it was not my impression that she was of that temperament, Nellie. She admitted to having made some mistakes, but was firm about not regretting her decision to join Daesh, out of religious conviction.

I donā€™t like religious bigotry, but itā€™s by no means confined to Islam, and many Christian and ā€˜evenā€™ Buddhist zealots have murdered and mutilated non-believers in recent history. Young people who are drawn into cults need to be understood rather than condemned. It"s not as if she has severed any heads herself, or bashed any childrensā€™ brains out, as far as can be ascertained.

Being a war-bride is an ancient calling, common in all conflicts. To class women in these situations as combatants is, in my view, a grossly mysogynist error, and possibly in Shemimaā€™s case, racist too.

1 Like

So we should, Stella, but never so studiously as to overlook the absence of anything approximating to a blessing in the blighted lives of others, including British service men and women, and the victims of terrorist acts within our own shores. Itā€™s not a matter of ā€œthemā€ versus ā€œusā€ as the political narratives insist. We are all in this together.

1 Like

Iā€™m making a point that ā€œweā€ do not know the full facts of what has happenedā€¦ right from the beginning, when she went out there ā€¦ up until this monthā€¦

Therefore we can ramble/argue or whatever about herā€¦ but we are not building on solid foundations (no facts).

andā€¦ rather than argueā€¦ why not count our own blessings and ā€¦ perhaps try and spread a little happiness to those in need closer to home. Where, at least we can see what is going on ā€¦Service Men/Victims the ordinary personā€¦ etc etc

Every area has people in dire straitsā€¦ we can all do something positiveā€¦ no matter how small.

3 Likes

Yet I am reading opinions elsewhere that say to treat her any differently to a male who had run off to join ISIS would be showing ā€˜gender biasā€™ For every argument there is a counter argument. I am with Stella we really donā€™t know

1 Like

I agree with you both, itā€™s time for me to change the record. I miss the old vinyl 33 rpm ones, the digital stuff never sounds as rich, and I always love a bit of crackling :grinning:

Donā€™t you mean wax cylinders?:grinning:

Apparently the Bangladeshi goverment disagree.

1 Like

Why bother with a trial, you have already made your mind up.

Well you obviously think you can read my mind.

1 Like

"Donā€™t you clean back-slingers? " was that what you just said? I wish you young people would stop mumbling and learn to speak clearly! I donā€™t know what modern nonsense youā€™re talking about, but I was talking aboutā€¦ errā€¦ What was I talking about? :thinking::thought_balloon:

2 Likes

I had you down for 78ā€™s, I acquired a Decca wind up gramophone a few years back. Winifred Attwell and her piano ā€œI wanna say hello - I want to see you smile - I wanna hold you in my arms againā€. Or something like that.

1 Like

Yes!! 78 rpm and The Ink Spots ā€œWhispering Grass (The Trees Donā€™t Need To Know)ā€ :joy:

2 Likes

Listening to the news today there seems to be much talk that the girl was ā€œradicalisedā€ in the UK. What does this really mean? If someone chooses to follow a religious path which differs from those of their peers can this be described as radicalisation?
So a person brought up as C of E decides to become a catholic can be classed as being radicalised too, I suppose, but because this religion is deemed benign (except, perhaps, by some Irish factions) it is merely personal choice, which of course is what it is. Are mormons radicalised? Bhuddists? Muslims?
This girl made the choice to follow a radical form of religion. She could have chosen to become a Jew but if she had would she have been ā€œradicalisedā€? I somehow donā€™t think so.
She could just as easily take her husbandā€™s nationality too & the child has as much right to that as well.
If I.S. had been successful Iā€™m sure that she would not be wanting to return. It is only because her living conditions have turned to shit that she now wants to go back.

Itā€™s not just strong belief in a chosen religion but also strong hated and intolerance of anyone who does not share that belief. It involves believing in and being willing to take part in military jihad.

Changing from CofE to Catholicism is not radicalisation; unless you know of an ultra zealous sect that is still planning on starting a crusade to rid Jerusalem of the infidel.

1 Like