Shock election results

It didn't make more than an inclusion in any media with umpteen other political things burying it. There are a couple of people who can provide you with the whole story, including IDS's arrogant reaction to the ECJ's ruling.

I stand corrected, I got carried away with my cynical comments and forgot that, but nonetheless it is a desultory pension. The basic state pension is higher in 18 of the 28 EU countries, for instance Bulgaria from whence all those immigrants never showed up apparently get 12% more than the UK basic pension.

Not true in my opinion. There have been huge changes in social attitudes since the war and they continue. I admit to coming from what was described as a privileged background but that can bring with it a concept of social responsibility as well. As for accents why do people still go on about them? I remember being teased about my accent when I arrived at college in 1963, when I got a job in Manchester in 66, when I was in the RNR, and even here in France by some local Brits who presume to call me a toff. Well I am sorry I was brought up not to scorn somebody because they spoke in a certain way, indicating perhaps that they had no right to take an active part in society. In fun yes, but can I start taking off "working class" or regional accents to people I am talking with without risking a sock in the jaw? Please, please, move on. as for not making use of a circle of acquaintances in a career be it professional, business or political come on be serious. You have got to strut your stuff, whatever it is.

Thanks Brian - I didn't know it had been dealt with (how did I miss that?)

The descendants moved to Marbella and Torremolinos ;-)

Some years back, decades actually, but I declined the offer when proposed by an MP to her boss in my presence who listened to her and then made an offer. All inside I suppose 40 minutes, I declined on the spot. I have no regrets. Real political activists of any colour never go into parliament, it kills their principles stone dead.

No Margaret, it is gone and done with since parliament dealt with it. The principle is dirty because of how the books were cooked, when I was very ill every € counted and still helps a bit now, so yes Doreen. Yes, means testing given that several newspapers have shown how some mighty rich people have accepted and taken it including a couple whose names both begin with the letter C who really do not need it. Civil servants who felt IDS was wrong leaked details, so it is not just hearsay. By the way, it includes member of IDS's party (and others of course) who are serving MPs who already have a heating and fuel allowance on top of their £67k salary (no ministers on higher salaries though) and other expenses (not to mention other sources of income).

Not so much accent as the sense of entitlement and circle of acquaintances that go along with a privileged background. It is noticeable that politicians are trying, with varying degrees of success, to sound more "ordinary." The British have never recovered from the Norman Conquest. There are two tribes and a near impenetrable barrier between them.

Certainly not a 'put down' Margaret, it's unfortunate you see it that way and apologise if my 'tone' offends. The WFA has provoked a lot of discussion in the past on SFN and why not ? It's obviously a subject which stirs the emotions. Yes, I too know of a couple of families who could really use the extra payment and they would qualify under a fairly means tested system tho' the vast majority of expats I know, and I must have met thousands over here since the '80s are not desperate enough whereby an extra £200 will affect them that much. Ok, any extra money is welcome but no expat should have settled in France or anywhere out of the UK if they believed the difference between survival or sinking was dependant on £200/£300.

Such payments must be means tested to make the democratic element of our lives fair.I object very strongly that anyone with a decent income ie an income from pensions, salaries and investments should be automatically given this payment. I'd much rather see the vast amount of money saved put back into healthcare or any other department where investment is sadly lacking.

Child benefit is means tested these days so why not WFP? However it should be means tested in the UK as well and should be paid in most European countries; the ridiculous comparison including overseas departments should be dropped. The CB benefit is paid in full below £50k income. It amounts to far more than the WFP (approx x 6). At the moment you can opt out of WFP. Plenty of people receive it in the UK then go and spend the winter in the south of Spain, cruising or for for the more active winter sporting. Does anybody know how many people receive it in the UK compared to the number currently eligible.

Is it the thought of the UK leavimg the EU that’s frightening Jo?

I am frightened.

@ Peter

I'd have no objection to it being means tested. Interesting to note your tone, Peter - it's a "can of worms" to you so I'm silly to ask? If not why the put down?

@ Brian

So you don't think it will be cut? I'd be very happy to hear it but will, in any case, hold on to my seat :o?

@ Doreen

I'm relieved I'm not the only one.

With you there Doreen. Peter must have a privileged, or lucky, circle of friends. It probably wouldn't be viable to means test the WFA, but a fair taxation system would make that less important.

But I guess the social charges here for both individuals and companies are far greater Mike.

I think you’re correct Doreen.For folk just barely getting by it could make a difference and means testing is the fairest way but I also think IDS cooking the temperature books should be rectified.

Not sure that is quite right Brian. As I read it, the £130 only applies to "new" pensioners. This already retired, if we should live so long, will remain under the current arrangement. To me, this has a smell of typical IDS thinking. Muddle headed and a total disregard for natural justice. But anyway, this still doesn't put UK pensioners on a level with the French, who get around 50% more than us as a basic state pension.

Our local town of Morlaix in Brittany has the motto translated of "If they bite you bite them back". It refers to an invasion of the town by he English who after raping and pillaging had to sleep it off. The lie in next morning was rudely awakened by the returning French who "did" them!

Time to open up the can of worms yet again Margaret. How many expats in France and elsewhere out of the UK actually 'need' the WFA to survive the winter ? Will that one payment mean the difference between keeping warm and being cold to the majority of expat brits ? Is the whole WFA debate, petitions and all just a case of 'it's the principle of the thing' ?

In any case shouldn't the WFA be means tested to make it fairer to all (assuming it's not already).

Hold on to your seat. Do not forget that freezing pensions was spoken of at one stage by IDS, but never taken anywhere. If he gets his job back then I am not holding my breath. Dave promised everybody state pensions up to £130 a week by 2020, so in time I might be able to afford an extra bag of spuds before the pension is frozen. Now, that is not a kick at the party now in office, simply at IDS whose ability to stay in that job has shocked me many times over given his extreme failures and vast waste of money. That is somebody I have no inhibition about being critical of and there are plenty of our Tory friends of a similar mind on that particular count.