Shocking cost of fish/meat

The Pork Fair comes around once a year… here… and then everyone fills the freezer… careful checking down the aisles, I like to choose the local meat so we “know what we are eating”…:hugs:

I’m a bit picky with meat. At that price I shudder to think how the poor animals have been raised. I’m afraid I just could not eat it.

3 Likes

This should get your feet tapping… great stuff

1 Like

Wow! That’s seriously skillful.

Bagpipes have to very good or they are excruciating… as far as I am concerned.

Our Carol session always finishes with Heykens Serenade… nothing to do with Carols, it just keeps everyone enthralled… while I dash across the road, to pop the nibbles in the oven…

@anon20824123. Unless you buy certified bio & wild salmon it will be full of antibiotics, be sprayed with chemicals and fed on pulverised fish meal. Plus the salmon will have been stocked at a density that is unpleasant for them and destroys the surrounding environment. There is one brand that promises humane stocking levels, the rest aren’t good.

Sorry to dwell on the negative side but there is a reason that salmon is so cheap, and that’s because of intensive farming methods. Stick to mackerel and other more sustainable fish.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve bought Scottish smoked salmon… it looks delicious and will taste delicious because I have bought this brand before, many times over the years.

I would not say it is a cheap fish… merely that I have got it at a lower price than some other packs… as it is near its sell-by date 29/12.

Fortunately, I was raised with 2 rascally brothers, so it is nearly impossible to put me off my food. I do try and buy stuff that I know the how/when/where info… I do the best I can… but after that… hmmm… :thinking:

1 Like

@ChrisK sticks-salmon-in-ears-to-skirl-of-bagpipes :scream: etc

Please do post a piccie if you do, Chris! :joy:

1 Like

I’ve not heard of giving antibiotics to fish, but they are certainly sprayed with chemicles ,

That’s good, my mairie grows and sells vegatables and he says don’t trust Bio in shops as it’s not true Bio, there are too many things you are allowed to treat the crops with.
It doesnt affect me but as you mentioned Bio.

I have to agree, if Pork is on offer so cheaply first of all where has it come from ?
Secondly if that’s the supermarket prices then how much are the producers paid?
Just too many antibiotics used on pork products, among others.
I enjoy pork but I buy from a local producer, there is also one a bit further away, their animals are raised in liberty, they don’t use any gluten in their sausages, paté and other products, they are English and when they are on the market they products are ‘snaffled up quickly’ by the French ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If and when I mention Bio… it is with the French meaning… no additives, chemicals etc… just good natural food… and if your Maire reckons stuff is being incorrectly labelled in the shops… I hope he will speak up.

Our area of France is renowned for Bio products (thankfully)…

1 Like

I’m glad you have local meat producers too… who take a pride in good quality food, sensitively reared… but, of course, it’s not only the foreigners who behave like that… thankfully, it has become “fashionable” to do things properly… and it should stay that way. :hugs:

You’re really fortunate. If I buy pork then it’s always Label Rouge.

There is a free-range pig farm on the way to Perigueux… and when we pass… we both bellow… Pigs in Space… than collapse into the Muppets anthem… :grin::hugs:

1 Like

Yes, Mandy, I like the combination of simplicity and derring-do, and it’s good to see food being simply prepared and freshly cooked. Very fussy presentations don’t charm my taste-buds! :thinking:

1 Like

@anon20824123. Massive amounts! Norway is doing the best at reducing antibiotic use but elsewhere it’s bad. It’s put in with the food to combat lice that infest the fish as well as bacterial diseases.

I believe many fish farmers are using “cleaner” fish to eat/tackle the lice problem on the salmon… sounds much healthier all round… :hugs:

1 Like

one of the good things to come from European food regulation/ standards is that unsafe food cannot be sold. Whilst there is an inferred benefit from eating fish or meat which is deemed of better quality than something else it must be true that animal welfare or food standards are evidenced in anything we buy? There is surely a minimum level of quality laid down by government. My lightly smoked Lidl salmon fillets are 50% cheaper than 45 Euro a kilo. I can sympathise with those that take to the streets over food poverty.

1 Like

@anon7138442. Yes the regulations ensure safety for the consumer, no matter what the price of the food. But not safety for the animal or for the environment it is reared in. Cheaper food means poorer animal welfare and environmental standards.

And if you think about what it takes to deliver a piece of meat or fish to your table then some is far too cheap. Costs of feeding and rearing the beast, costs for the land it lives on, processing costs, transport costs, marketing costs, the cut taken by those that sell the produce, and then a little something for the farmer to live on.

I sympathise for those in poverty, but the answer is not a race to the bottom in terms of food standards.

4 Likes