Shocking cost of fish/meat

Carrefour makes a big thing of cutting down on additives to its meat to protect its customers, but I have not heard a thing about animal welfare, which is just as important.

2 Likes

Our local (small) Carrefour displays the source of the meat they are offering. They make a point of using local produce… so we do know the history from start to finish… as the Press are hot on animal welfare stuff…and more and more folk take a keen interest.

1 Like

The french press? I rarely see any mention of animal welfare and environmental standards of husbandry in the french media I read/look at. Some brands do say that they are antibiotic free once the animal has been weaned, but little else. France has many good points but animal welfare is not one of them. People are often shocked when I tell them that foie gras production is illegal in other countries…they don’t see what the problem is.

1 Like

Leclerc has some good offers on right now unsuprisingly. Saw more than 30 types of smoked salmon in there yesterday

2 Likes

I bought some smoked trout on offer today. Also got 2 Label Rouge chicken breasts 40% off, sell by date is tomorrow, from their new “date courte” fridge. I always find something in there.

3 Likes

When we first moved here we rented a gite on an industrial pig farm and I was given a guided tour of the unit. The farmer’s wife was very proud of how the pigs ‘had everything for their comfort’ as she saw it. I have never eaten mass produced pork since.

I know buying free range meat is expensive but if you can find a local producer then prices are generally very reasonable. I’ve just bought half a free range pig which is now in my freezer. And join an AMAP! Prices are often a lot cheaper than supermarkets (eg I pay 10€ per kilo for fresh fish and 2€ for 6 free range eggs which have not been fed any GM feed) and you are supporting the producers.

7 Likes

We obviously read different News…

I am pleased to see/read about an enterprise which is being praised for doing things correctly and humanely etc etc. and this is becoming more and more common-place.

In general, Folk seem to remember Bad Press stories, far more readily than Good Press… but that is true in all areas of Life… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

@Stella. Organic and bio doesn’t mean that farmers can’t use chemicals and additives, it simply restricts the list of what can be used to ones that are judged to be safer. There is quite a bit of controversy about that, for example some copper based products are seen by many as being too toxic.

From what you say Jane. … it might be difficult for some folk to find good Bio stuff… where Bio does mean just that… au naturel… but it definitely does exist… and it is worth seeking out.

Sadly there are farmers who will take every inch the government gives them, to legally use whatever additives/chemicals…

But there are farmers/producers who say NO to such things. You must surely have noted the arguments going on across France (and Europe) … it seems to be the big-boys who have the clout to sway decisions. But the genuine “Bio” chappy knows what is the right thing to do… and they do NOT use even the permitted chems/adds…or whatever…

Thankfully many of our local Producers pride themselves on working with nature… and their products are definitely Bio in the true sense of the word…

These are the sort of folk who use heavy horses rather than tractors. Glorious to see those giants marching up and down the fields…

1 Like

https://www.economie.gouv.fr/dgccrf/Publications/Vie-pratique/Fiches-pratiques/Agriculture-biologique

Going off topic slightly, but keeping to the buying locally sourced, produced food theme. I now buy my butter and cream which is made at the local dairy farm. The butter is beautifully made with a cow image stamped into the top, so looks lovely on the table!! The fresh cream (hard to find here) I have now added brandy to one batch and Grand Marnier to the other, and after a night in the fridge is lovely and thick and perfect to accompany the mince pies. My hairdresser recommended the farm to me, I place my order with them and everything is made to order, can’t get much fresher than that.

5 Likes

Our Christmas breakfast is always ham and baxters classic tomato chutney, my husband’s parents always had this and even my son does the same in his home although his wife is vegetarian.

1 Like

Yes there may be small local producers here and there who farm without any chemicals and additives, and use horses and so on, but they are a miniscule percentage of the bio market. The vast majority of bio products use a range of products that are certified organic, like sulpher and copper, at levels that are allowed. We have a local biodynamic wine producer, a family business that is hugely well respected, who works with the moon and the soil. But they still use some sulpher dioxide. They have to or the wines would spoil. If you read into the detail of the regulations you linked to you will find large numbers of permitted chemical and additives.

The bio companies are businesses that have to compete in a hard market. and they aren’t stupid so will not buy things unless necessary. So I don’t think it unreasonable at all, especially if it means that they can produce better food that can compete on price to make it available to ordinary people. And the same time I have taken off my rose tinted glasses about what consistutes “bio”.

Ha ha… I have never worn rose-tinted spectacles… but neither am I blinkered… I see what goes on around me and I like what I see. If you notice, I have been talking about local products… not huge corporation stuff…

I am wondering why some folk seem to find it hard to accept that there are sincere people who want to produce healthy food for their families… and sell the excess to support their activity… This is a “growing” trend (excuse the pun) and more and more families are settling in our area… drawn by the healthy way of life they find here.

What goes on around you may be different… but that is Life…

Although, if other Growers do not change their habits and do away with all the “dodgy” ?? stuff… Life may not have much of a future… :thinking: