Shortages of everything

The only shortage which persists here are the adult Friskies croquettes for Jules and I have been forced to buy substitutes for some weeks.

absence of " LU Petit Ecolier Noir"ā€¦ we are having to make do with ā€œshopsā€™ own brandsā€ not quite the same :sob: :sob:

1 Like

I had to Google that as Appleā€™s built-in translator came up with ā€œLU Little Black Schoolboyā€ :astonished:

3 Likes

exactlyā€¦ and very tasty they are, tooā€¦ :+1: :+1: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

LU rings a memory bell with me, one of the largest contracts the boss had when I was still driving. Sometimes I carried a load of them for hundreds of kilometres, and then all the way back with another load.
The realities of modern manufacturing and distribution. :rofl:

Never tried those! Must have a go. We rarely buy biscuits as we tend not to eat sweet stuff at home but if we do it end to be ones like the lovely Breton Palets or Galettesā€¦

the ā€œnoirā€ being good dark chocolate, the mix is just right for usā€¦
plus the packets hold sachets of 6 biscuits, so we donā€™t feel obliged to finish the whole packet to avoid them going softā€¦ (much to OHā€™s dismay) :rofl: :rofl: :wink:
the sachets certainly avoid wastage or overindulgenceā€¦

Iā€™m poor so 90% of the time I shop at Lidl. The coffee weā€™ve had for years (equivalent of Carte Dā€™or I think) was missing for weeks. Often other shelves / spots empty too. I have noticed in other supermarkets too.

1 Like

No longer sold at our local leclerc. Our cats have transitioned on to another - being a different flavour they are scoffing it.

A French family were telling me about the number of British shops now in France and asking if we used themā€¦
I explained that NO we didnā€™t since our tastes were geared to French foods but that I knew neighbours delighted in being able to buy something Britishā€¦

A bit like years ago in UK we would have enjoyed shopping in a local ā€œFrench Epicerieā€ from time to timeā€¦ just for the fun of itā€¦

Iā€™m wondering if these British Shops in France are suffering shortages ā€¦???

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen one for years, the last time was in Perigueux near the exhibition grounds, no idea if it is still there though. Might have a look just for a nosey this afternoon as I pass by on the way to the SPA to meet Oprah. :smiley:

1 Like

I wonder where? The only one I know is the smoked fish shop near Jane Williamson, which is about 75km from us.

But the idea of swapping a French Ć©picerie fine for a shop full of custard creams and baked beans makes me laugh! Some great UK artisan foods, but the mass market stuff is not worth travelling a mile for.

1 Like

I have just googled ā€œBritish shops in Franceā€ and a map with locations popped up

well, theyā€™ve seen 'em on their travelsā€¦ they were visiting our village for the first time yesterday and were astounded to find we donā€™t have any shopā€¦ they were also astounded to find a Brit who spoke Frenchā€¦ :rofl: :rofl:
perhaps it was more that they could understand my Frenchā€¦ :roll_eyes: :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

We went to an asian supermarket in town recently and it should have been marked International shop outside, things from every country you can imagine. However it wasnā€™t cheap but I got my teabags at a good price as the boxes were dented but things like Birds custard powder and Bisto gravy granules were very expensive. The smell evoked old memories of friday nights at the local Indian resto before we had our family.

Interestingly, our usual dog food was pedigree dry dog food.

We used to get it at any supermarket in 15k bags

We can now only find it at one supermaket in 4k bags

So it does. About 10 of them, in the expected locations, which doesnā€™t quite equate to an avalanche of them! Although why anyone would ever need a shop selling Cadburyā€™s dairy milk and quality street on the edge of Geneva rather baffles me.

1 Like

I donā€™t think anyone mentioned an avalancheā€¦ :wink:

I merely reported what a visiting French family had said to me yesterdayā€¦
I had no reason to ask them for explanations :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If I ever see them again, Iā€™ll ask for some detailsā€¦ and report backā€¦ :wink: :rofl:

I think so.
Over the weekend I discovered that The Trading Post is out of stock of the following:
Baps 5"
Angus beef burgers
Chilli burgers
All steak Pukka pies
Lorne sausages (square ones)
Jumbo sausage rolls
Gluten free sausages.

Fortunately there is plenty of other unhealthy food available.

ahā€¦ youā€™ve reminded me to phone our butcher tomorrow and order our usual suppliesā€¦
all local raised ā€œmeatā€ and very tasty tooā€¦ :+1: :+1: