Show us your knockers (and knobs)

Call me weird but l’ve always had a fascination for doors, door knobs and knockers. France is a veritable goldmine for door art - Show me yours and l’ll show you some of mine.

Hotel de Ville Bordeaux.

3 Likes

You’re not weird, Dan. After a fifty-year unhappy relationship with a series of electric ding-dong thingies, I fitted a brass heavy-weight knocker, very simple but aesthetically beautiful design, to our front door in Essex and never looked back.

A visual and auditory delight. Unfortunately don’t have a photo of it here. Thinking of getting one for chez nous, but not an ornate one, though yours are great. Shame they seem to have gone out of fashion.

1 Like

My door knocker is in the shape of a garden spade

1 Like

Rue Notre Dame, Bordeaux

3 Likes

Nice try :+1:

Another Bordeaux Beauty

1 Like

Found in Troyes

1 Like

Great picture Ken - Lovely old carved wooden doors with suitably ferocious lions guarding the entrance😊

1 Like

IMG_8320%20(2)

I always find these a little disconcerting😕

1 Like

I do agree. Whoever designed that hand had seen a diseased body, the dorsum (back) of the hand is puffy with the kind of dimpled swelling seen in severe circulatory ilness, advanced kidney failure or secondary cancer. It is abnormal, and sinister IMO.

1 Like

Here is the spooky old door it knocks on - What tales it could tell😑
IMG_8319

2 Likes

Such tales indeed, Guy de Maupassant etc.

Rather a pity to see such a handsome architectural feature in a state of disrepair and decay, but although time-ravaged it still commands respect, I think. Perhaps even more lovable than if it were tarted-up. That’s perhaps the French attitude to age and beauty.

1 Like

2018%2009%2020%200013 This is an ancient door in Colmar but the side door has been reinforced.

2 Likes