Signing the compromis de vente today. Can’t wait to see the house

Hi all. End of day 2 here in ‘sunny’ France. Well it was nice yesterday evening at The Riverside in Bergerac. We have visited the house twice; today with a builder/ decorator that the Agency recommended. The gite is a tad more run down than anticipated, so we trying to get a few quotes on fixing the bits and bobs. 1st builder said there wasn’t any big issues, so that was good. If anyone knows of a good trades company in the area, that would be great. Our solicitor has read the Compromis… and all seems ship shape.
Hopefully, we can relax a bit at the end of our stay and enjoy the local lifestyle.
Have fun all.
Mike and Tess

1 Like

Any chance you can visit the Mairie to talk about the property and what might or might not be going on around it… ??

Just an update. All is great. Deposit paid, solicitor (in the UK) does all the work; chasing notaire, checking items, instructing me on various purchase options etc. Set in stone date of 23 Sept but I believe the agent is speeding up the bit where the local farms are offered the house (whatever that is called), so we might finish earlier. Roof needs a bit of work and the electrics are shoddy in the cottage. Failing that, general paint-over needed. Can’t wait to get there.

5 Likes

Excellent news! well done! Exciting times ahead …

Done it!
House was purchased 10 minutes ago. I had to get power of attorney as we were not able to sign in person. Cindy, the agent (Agence Eleoner Bergerac) has been very helpful. I am so pleased that we used a solicitor. They made some good last minute changes. I used Annie Digby in Northampton.
We are out in a week…can’t wait !
Oh yes. A company called Selectra (english speaking) sorted out my electric (i’m now with Total Spring with a 12% saving over the national EDF tariff). They can do the internet/phone deal as well.
Thanks again Sandy for your help. Will see you soon.
Mike and Tess

3 Likes

Congratulations! I’ve been following your story and I’m so glad it worked out for you. Enjoy your new life.

IMG_2360IMG_2361

Thanks Mandy. A couple of photos, taken yesterday. The gîte is the big barn (top) and the cottage is below.
Wew are all soooo excited.

Any suggestions of what I need to bring that is usually forgotten (or can’t get easily)?
We are staying for 22 days.
I do need a large fridge and freezer. Where is best to buy that? Is there an equivalent of AO.COM for France?

3 Likes

Lovely house.

I’ve always bought electrical appliances from the local big supermarket or from Darty.

Now is a good time to buy in the summer sales.

1 Like

We have got a lot of our white goods etc from MDA if the’s one near you.

And have bought quite a few things from leboncoin

As for things to bring…make yourself a first aid box as these sorts things are more expensive here - paracetamol is 1.50€ not 16p. Plus a household first aid - sellotape, scissors, a few envelopes and so on.

1 Like

BUT or Darty are our first stops Mike.
Our BUT, in Redon, even have a van to lend, to take your ‘stuff’ home.

Also Boulanger for white goods.

Oops, I missed that question.

Yes over the counter medical stuff is generally a lot more expensive here so Jane’s idea is a good one.

For me it would have to be PG Tips. I can’t go a day without tea and it’s hard to find here. When you do it’s stupidly expensive.

If you are driving I might also suggest you bring a cool box and your favourite bacon, can’t get British style bacon here either.

Many Medications do come with different names in France and the price/strengths are much better… Doliprane 1000mg… is always something that our UK friends stock up on when they visit us here…

Brother always used to buy flea stuff for his cats… and various other stuff here… reckoned he could almost save the cost of his flight by judicial buying in France… :sunglasses::thinking::grinning:

So, I reckon it’s horses for courses… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Bring paint, it is sooooo much cheaper in UK.

1 Like

Why on Earth?

It is paracetamol - 2+€ for 8 1000mg tablets as far as I can see from Google.

Tesco sells it at 30p or so for 16 x 500mg tablets (i.e the same amount of Paracetamol).

@Stella. How bizarre…boots 500mg packs of 16 own brand paracetamol are 50p, and packs of 8 1000mg doliprane (i.e. exactly same amount of same drug) are over 2 euros… you just have to take 2 pills instead of one.

1 Like

Bizarre or not… that’s what happens…the first visitors cleared my medicine cupboard. … after that, I took them to the pharmacy… and as for the flea stuff… let’s just say that my brother is a wealthy-skinflint and is never going to buy anything that is not a bargain… :wink::wink:

You had better tell him about Tesco paracetamol then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha ha… no, he buys stuff for his animals… much cheaper here than in his neck of the UK… that and the wine… makes his trip a real pleasure… :wink::wink:

Yep I noticed flea stuff was a lot cheaper here…they sell a fipronil based (frontline in uk) spot on in Super U and my local bricolage…in another bricolage they also sell frontline spray (treat only if fleas are seen) which in uk is only available on prescription from a vet…thereby requiring the cost of a consultation fee on top…

I haven’t had cause to use chemical flea control at all here…(touches wood…!) Border Collies (and crosses) are sensitive to many veterinary flea/tick/worm treatments especially ivermectin based and just shouldn’t be given to them even by a vet…”white feet don’t treat”…and fipronil based would be a lesser of two evils for them…

So yes I can see why your brother stocks up here…massive savings…! x :slight_smile: