Simple but silly question

I've finally dualbooted my laptop again with Ubuntu 11.10. last ttime I tried it there was so much hardware unsupported that I gave up. this time is better, but I cant even move the top and side bar to where I want them. I'm sure it was just drag and drop before, any clues?

Cheers

Miles

Miles, Ubuntu 11.10 uses Gnome3 under the hood, but they have built their own desktop front end - called unity - to sit on top of it. Gnome3 has it's own brand new interface, which you can use, but it will be equally different to the version you once looked at, they have both changed.

If you want to change the position of the application bar on the left I'm afraid you can't , but if you install the compiz settings manager from the software store, you can modify a lot of other settings. You might not realise but it will hide if you move a window over it, so it never gets in the way. I switched to using it a while ago, and find it very useful.

If you wanted a more classic feel, then Linux Mint are making their distro look more retro, but still based on Gnome3. That might be worth a look, but I'm not sure how long they will be able to keep it that way, as they are all moving forward.

I would also recommend the 64bit version these days, as with the next Ubuntu release 12.04 , it will be the standard.

Let me know how you get on, I'm sure if you give it a little time, you might get to like it.

Cheers

Nick

Gnome3 Desktop Environment can be installed from the Ubuntu Software Centre.

There is also some further reading HERE... and HERE...

I've not tried it myself, maybe Nick has.

Oh. I thought it was gnome. Is there a way to change to gnome? I think that was what I had in 11.04?

Presume that you're running the Unity interface, in which case the side bar location is I believe fixed as is the top.