Site policy update regarding names

In light of an ever increasing requirement to remain safe online, we no longer show your full name to the public, there is still a requirement to provide it at signup but only your username will be shown to the world.

You can edit your username if you wish in profile preferences.

18 Likes

Why the change James?
Thereā€™s been discussion of this in the past and Iā€™ve always tended to the view that the obligation to speak ā€˜as yourselfā€™ was one of the things that made SurviveFrance more courteous than other internet forums.

3 Likes

There have been issues for a valued member, Geof, this seems the best way forward IMO :wink:

2 Likes

Love the username! Identifying you but also notā€¦

2 Likes

Whatā€™s happened Andrew?
(Iā€™ve been away with the family for nearly 3 weeks and not had much chance to look in here.)

As a very recent subscriber I found it most refreshing and welcoming to see real names being used, as Geof points out it was a little something that elevated this forum above the rest.
Not to worry, Iā€™m happy to be known by my user name which is probably more apt :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Just PMing you Geof

3 Likes

some troll read ptf stuff and contacted his employer. ptf gone

2 Likes

Been on SFN over 10 years, never even looked at another one so canā€™t comment on them but have read plenty of other peopleā€™s comments :scream:šŸ¤¦ :rofl: ThĆ© ethos and dynamic should rest inchangĆ©s, there are enough of us here to ensure that :wink:

7 Likes

Angela told me what happened. There are some nasty people about.

Problem is that although there are far more good people, the nasty have far more weapons - precisely because the good refuse to say or do harmful or hurtful things.

2 Likes

I shall continue to be on my best behaviour.

1 Like

Whereā€™s the fun in that?

I was banned from Twitter for wrong thunk years ago and never bothered with Facebook. I use one other forum and am mostly well behaved there for the same reason as here: itā€™s far too useful a resource to be an utter yob on and get banned.

Interesting that you see good behaviour as a response to possible sanction Guy, rather than desirable in itself!
What did you say (in broad terms, obviously) to get banned from Twitter?

For reasons of inciting violence perhapsā€¦

I believe the final (3rd) ban related to my mentioning that a certain British businessman known for record stores, airlines, trains and now amateur space flight was a regular at Jeffery Epsteinā€™s island.

ā€œShort ginger nonceā€ might well have breached the T&Cs.

2 Likes

You were lucky that you only received a ban rather than a lawsuit. :wink:

Associated opinion:

Itā€™s only the last part that is open for discussion.

Not really, unless you truly believe in guilt by association.