So, no Govt registration until mid October?

It’s he principle that this case establishes. At the very least it means that the spouse & children of someone living under the radar & working on the black can’t be kicked out on the grounds that they didn’t have sufficient resources.

Perhaps something to reflect on when discussing people who work for cash. Perception is reality…

So how would you define it? A company’s accounts or your bank account can be “in the black” (ie - the opposite of “in the red”) without offence being caused - can’t it?
So, without being considered racist… this is France and black people are called - well, black.

The point of the article is to reflect on how people perceive what you say. It is for each of us to make our choices.

The word black is of course not racist in itself, in the black is obviously due to black rather than red ink. Black work, as in the work that slaves did, has perhaps a different connotation.

I spent my childhood with a pompous racist bigot as a father, so accept I can be over sensitive. I trailed round London hospitals after him (he was a consultant anaesthetist) so had plenty of experience of his treatment of more junior staff.

Of course Jane, but by the same token indigenous North American Indians could be offended by the use of the term “red” - where does it end?

Your father wasn’t Sir Lancelot Spratt (James Robertson Justice) was he? :grin:

He would have been a delight compared to mine. …

I don’t advocate people getting obsessed about whether words are ok to use or not, just that people should from time to time reflect on words and phrases they use. Both to check that they understand the origin and are happy to accept that, and also that it is something that people they are communicating with also feel comfortable with.

I used to squirm with embarrassment at the way the nurse’s would talk about things my father had said (he had to look after me on Sat mornings so would take me to the hospital and leave me with the nurses while he did his rounds). Sadly not old enough at that time to challenge him, and by the time I was we were no longer talking.

1 Like

The expression ‘travail au noir’ has nothing to do with slaves or black people - it is mediaeval and means work by night, illicit work, work which can’t be seen and therefore escapes taxes.

8 Likes

That’s really interesting! Many of the english references I remember relate to slavery, so either they are wrong (which is entirely possible) or two different derivations (which would be odd).

Black and white is fine…my son is mixed race and (to put a lighter heart on it, if allowed), when he was at school, he referred to people as black or peach. That’s how, he naively, saw people. My mother and father were quite bigoted, but only I suspect from complete ignorance.

I thought my Dad was conservative in outlook but not racist or superior in any way, so I was shocked in later life when I showed him a picture taken of my wife and I with my friend (and petanque partner) and his wife, taken at a presentation, Ken and I were quite good at petanque and we were justifiably proud of the photo with a cup.

Instead of congratulating us on our win Dad said, entirely without rancour or spite, ‘he looks like a Jewboy to me’. :astonished:

It had never occurred to me before but Ken was dark and a little Levantine in appearance, but I was speechless at the comment, only mollified later by Dad’s obvious innocence as he saw it.

A sign of the times, I suppose, if Ken had been tall and blond he might even have said ‘looks like a Swede to me’, and no doubt we would have nodded in agreement.

Our surname is not Jewish, in fact it is Scandinavian in origin, but for the sake of a few letters it might sound Jewish, and when I was at Merchant Navy college in the 50s an old sea captain, one of the staff, on hearing my name said, after repeating it twice with a rising inflection ‘what are you a bloody Jewboy?’.

I was not offended, just mystified. :slightly_smiling_face:

Consultants - one of those my mother, a Sister in the QA’s, used to call, “The Great I AM”

I was astounded to listen in on a dinner party conversation in Port of Spain, Trinidad, among middle class, professional, educated, ‘cultured’ people, on the distinctions by colour of a very varied range of ethnicities and mixed races. I can only remember white, black, red, high brown and low brown, tho’ there were two or three more. ‘Red’ was a mix of Chinese and some other ethnicity, perhaps subcontinent Asian or Arab. I can’t remember which of ‘high brown’ or ‘low brown’ was the darker. F1 champ Lewis Hamilton would be one or the other.

What was clear was that ‘blacks’ were at the bottom of the social order. The people I met socially - lawyers, doctors, business people, journalists, media people - non of them were ‘black’ or indeed black.

When my pal French Franck called me from France to check in to the room I was holding for him in my house in Brsl, he felt it necessary to throw in, [we hadn’t met] “By the way, I’m black”. When I missed the ‘c’ from writing his name he wagged the finger, “Chris! I’m French!” I liked that.

I first saw Stirling Moss driving a Vanwall in the 1958 German GP. He was a favourite, a hero, ever since. Then, some thirty years later I became a neighbour - he owned the building next to me in SW7. He’d turn up on a scooter with a bag of tools to change a tap washer or something and we’d chat.

It was only when Moss was in his late 80’s I learned, thru’ a comment he made in an interview, that he was Jewish - “At school they used to call me a dirty little yid”

I had notification from The Connexion that website delayed until mid Oct but does anyone know exactly what requirements are going to be to apply for residency or is it just made on assumptions and hearsay and if there was no deal would this actually affect whether we can apply

It’s all in the Withdrawal Agreement or at least the worst case is. So for example the minimum income required if inactive but France could offer more generous terms like the UK has for EU citizens eg no minimum income required.

1 Like

Stella had previously linked a very useful chart of the situation a while back, which reflects the withdrawal agreement. It seems that the general views is that it is unlikely to change much so use this until we are told anything else more definitive

France, once again deferring, our rights to register as legal long-term residents is hardly suprising.

When will France face up to its legal obligations and allow us to register our legal rights as residents.

Or perhaps UK citizens in France aren’t prepared to insist on those rights.

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

If the CdS website opens next month will you stop whinging?

4 Likes

@anon65742194
Did you see this sage bit of advice from @cat?

Now, I wholeheartedly support that directive - if you have an issue with the delay, this is NOT the place to express it.
Can I respectfully suggest you write to M. Le président de la République française to express your derision? You don’t even need to include a stamp :wink:
I’m sure he will instruct your préfet to give you preferential treatment (not).

Grahame,

saw the comment but it didn’t seem to a “sage advice”!

Has the opening of the registration site been deferred again as some have speculated?

Do you have any news on the “facts” or are you just speculating?