So passport stamping will be a thing of the past?

The UK’s implementing a similar system, which is causing some consternation on the Northern Ireland border.

What occurs to me is that travellers will have to keep a careful note of their entry and exit dates to avoid a nasty shock at the border. At present if they forget the exact date they entered all they have to do is look at their passport.

How’s that different to the passport scan that happens every time you cross an international border at the moment?

I guess it will basically record, access and read a lot more information?

Easy enough, if you remember to do it. Buy something on Day 1 and keep the receipt. I tanked up at Leclerc in Caen on 02/11/2020 to prove when I arrived in FR, in addition to my ferry ticket. I still have it - and now my CdS. :grinning:

If cross Channel, by air or sea, there’s yr tikky.

Oh yes it is easy in theory but people on the 90/180 arrangement may have three or four or more entries / exits during the 180 day period. That is a lot of random bits of paper. I imagine what they will do is keep a separate record, whereas now they have it all in their passport which they will always have with them in any case.

The Entry/Exit System (EES) will be an automated IT system requires biometric (facial scan/fingerprint) checking. It requires each individual to go to a machine and to present the passport for scanning and for the biometric checks (so similar to the optional automated passport control at airports).
Dover Port, Eurostar and Getlink (Eurotunnel) have raised concerns about the feasibility of providing space for the machines and each passenger getting out of a car for checking, etc.

an alternative is to use a mobile app such as this one to keep track:

1 Like

Fortunately I can enjoy travelling without needing to show my passport… there are still quite a few kilometres yet to be explored… :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

Don’t people have electronic diaries anymore? I tend to enter things like flight/train times :wink:

Me too, everything on our iPads/iPhones. Even my daughter in Perth knows where I am, or at least where I should be. Otherwise I’d never remember, no more than I could when I was working, but at least I had a secretary to manage me then. Though on one occasion I was flying from Johannesburg to Riyadh and on the following day via Frankfurt to Singapore and she got it the wrong way around. i don’t think my credibility in Riyadh office ever recovered.

Then there was the time I asked her to have place cards printed for an important team dinner on St. Patrick’s day with “The Shamrock and Springbok working together” (corny, I know) and she had “The Sjambok and the Springbok working together” printed. Since a sjambok was the leather whip previously used by police on black people I don’t think my attempt at post apartheid team building would have gone down that well if I hadn’t spotted the error.

On reflection it’s surprising I ever ended up in the right place, but she was a very nice person.

Pieces of paper or an electronic diary are not necessarily enough. A calculation still needs to be done. The 90/180 day rule is not for a fixed period. The 180 days is always rolling forwards.

Ahhh, time for an app.

Of course, but step one is knowing when you were in each county in order to enter dates into the calculator. And it seemed that people thought that could be hampered by not having stamps in a passport. I’ve never looked at my passport for that!

It’s sad, all of a sudden Europe is a foreign land.

2 Likes

The EES is only concerned with Schengen external borders.

Does anyone know whether there are plans for all internal borders (I know there are road border checks going into Hungary and some other countries to the east).

I’m less sure whether there will be checks at many other internal Schengen borders so it is likely just to be 90/180 days within the Schengen area?

As an example, there are thousands of commuters by car and train between France and Luxembourg every day. I don’t imagine they are going to get every French person out of their cars at the border to put their passport into a machine. So how will they decide someone with a UK passport in a French registered car is any different?

If you are in a French reg car them likely to be French ( EU) resident so of much less interest.

an apero or an app for your phone :thinking:
I linked to an app for your phone a few posts up (post #8) :wink:

And if I was on a train surrounded by French?

At present, there doesn’t seem to be any way of checking which Schengen countries non-Europeans are in or how long they are in a country once they’ve crossed the external border. All they will know is the arrival in one country and the exit from the same or another country.

But that must be so lowdown the list of priorities! Any EU citizen has freedom of movement within the Schengen zone - some 500 million people. So it is just non-europeans in each country, maybe 10-15% of the population, most of whom will be legally resident somewhere. Is this really a major problem that needs to be solved? Any of them who are have anti-social or criminal tendencies will hopefully be picked up by other means than checks on internal borders.

After all the Bataclan accused were tracked by number-plate recognition not border controls.