So passport stamping will be a thing of the past?

That’s what free movement is all about isn’t it?

1 Like

That is all they need to know isnt it?

Sometimes I think that life has actually been made more complicated by all these electronic devices.
Whatever happened to keeping a record of one’s coming and goings in a Julian Calendar Diary and then engaging in a bit of fairly simple mathematics.

Or a filofax even! Whatever happened to them?

1 Like

Not really. I have a France residence card. That only allows me 90/180 days in other Schengen countries. If I fly into Frankfurt and leave again from Frankfurt a year later how do they know I’ve not spent all that time elsewhere than mainly in France?

And as well as student and various different country long stay visas there seem to be various bilateral agreements between Schengen and non-Schengen countries which allow stays of more than 90 days List of Member States' bilateral visa waiver agreements with third countries allowing for an extension of the period of stay in accordance with Article 20(2), point (b), of the Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement - Publications Office of the EU

For a more general overview of visas there is this article (but it is from 13Sept2021) Your Guide to (Legally) Staying in Europe for More Than 90 Days

Getting back to Entry/Exit System (EES) itself, I wonder what they are going to do for car passengers at Dover, as an example? How will they process a car containing a Dutch national, someone with a UK passport and a Belgian residence visa and a person and a one-year old child travelling as Schengen visitors, who both with UK passports, with any speed? The queues at the border posts are already slow even without the need to scan/biometric check?

I’ve got one, I bought it a couple of years ago to use as a bullet journal. I’ve never got on with computerised diaries!

1 Like

I still use it, better than any electronic gubbins. But then I am a dinosaur.

1 Like

But this is all about immigration and controlling the Schengen external border. It is not about “freedom of movement” and individual member states controlling their own internal borders.

I do not think countries care at all about EU visitors or WA Brits staying for longer than 3 months as long as they do not try to claim benefits whilst there. It has always seemed to me that the rules are basically to make clear the rights and obligations on each side in order to prevent abuse. For example if a person from country A drifts to country B, stays there for a year not meeting the FoM criteria for residence, and runs out of money and tries to get state support in country B on the basis that they have been there for a year, country B can say But you are not legally resident here as per the EU directive, you are a visitor and as such you should not have stayed here for over 3 months. You are abusing FoM, you have no rights here and we have no obligations to you.

Well no because the French person will drive through the EU-only gate and the non French person will have to use the non EU gate.

Not being rude, but this is a generational thing on the whole that I probably missed by about 10 years or so. They were always seen as a bit of a comedy executive tool in the 1980s, and by the time I worked somewhere that they were considered essential (we were given one each & training to go with it - 1990) it was already becoming more natural to schedule through computing.

I dragged mine round for a year or so before giving up with it as simply not that useful. The inserts were also excruciatingly expensive and not available from the company stationary supply, at a time when I really had no money for un-necessary stuff.

1 Like

I thought an apero was a snack?

more of a liquid libation in my neck of the woods…

1 Like

Drink + something small to eat = apero
Something small to eat = amuse-bouche if you are posh, casse-croüte for the rest of us
Drink = un verre (as in do you want a quick drink?)

somebody referred to an apero/App in a post. App as in “Skype” etc.
I thought it may have two meanings.

It’s an alcoholic drink taken before a meal to stimulate the appetite.

A trou Normand is an alcoholic drink taken after a meal to stimulate the appetite so one can stuff one’s face even more…

Well they already scan all the Passports so I really don’t see what difference it will make.
For most people the process will be unnoticeable except when the computer flags up an anomaly. If fingerprint verification is needed this could be done onboard the ferry as folks make their way from the car deck to the passenger accommodation. Just needs a bit of customer service oriented innovative thinking really, though I do accept that such may be a challenge for some at the Home Office.

Personally I have found that using an automated immigration / emigration control gate is hugely quicker than having a border control officer deal with the process manually.

In our area… the trou normand is enjoyed after the fish course, to clean the palate and ready it for the meat course… the liquid fire “cleans right round the bend…” and has been known to blow one’s socks off… :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

Yes when I have experienced the trou normand it has been between courses to clear the palate/sharpen the appetite for the next course, either after the first course(s) and before the main course or after the main course before the desserts.

1 Like

Yes, I’d forgotten that… I think we did have 2 trous at village meals a few years back… perhaps the saucy nonsense which resulted from this overimbibement…led to it being reduced to "just the one… " (the local brew is very strong)

I love the way everyone takes their time to enjoy each course… and to let each course settle on the stomach before going into battle again… :wink: :+1:

Yes, as I wrote. Having eaten too much already, it’s a mechanism to get going again :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Tell more :thinking: