So what classic car would you love to own and drive in France?

I’ve seen a couple in the last six months at classic car events but they are quite rare now everywhere.

So where do you put your ski boots then ? :grin:

My friend at college in the early 90’s had one. Flipin heck was it fast. Superb car without the GTI looks.

I had a colleague who accompanied me on several ski holidays in Austria in his MX5. He fitted everything in. It’s real downfall on ski holidays was it’s traction, any snow on the road and the only place it was going was sideways. He had to fit snow chains far more often than was necessary on the various FWD cars that I had at the time. He had more trouble fitting in his camping gear for our annual trip to the Côte d’Azur every Easter. Luckily he travelled on his own or he would have really struggled.

2nd hand MX5’s are a LOT cheaper in the UK (if you don’t mind RHD).

They’re cheap in Germany too and they have the steering wheel on the correct side too.

You see, that is why the Saab 900 is one of the best cars every made.

Highly reputed in the snow, and you can fit your skis, ski boots and family in the car.

Go baby…

Cheap MX-5 in Germany is good to know - now need to find the German equivalent of Autotrader.

Found it - Click here

Or here for all of Europe https://www.autoscout24.com/

As I’ve pointed out I have first hand experience of Saabs through my father’s 99EMS and my own 900s. Although I drove them on snow I never took my 900 on a ski holiday as I had a Discovery at the same time. These days my Golf ticks all the boxes; it is practical, reasonably economical, comfortable, fast and fun to drive yet will tow my boat or Vintage car when required, my ski box fits on the roof rack and it’s grip on snowy roads is good on its normal tyres and even better when the winter wheels/tyres are fitted. It is the most complete car I’ve ever owned and I hope that it will last long enough to become a classic itself.

Is it a Golf R ?

I have two Golf Mk 2 GTI’s.

A Mark V GTI.

Hi all,
(I love this thread – thanks Mark)
the Dino is a great choice. It was the first car that I remember really falling for.
The Integrale is a wonderful car, particularly in Martini colours.
The halfway house of Lancia Stratos is a great car.

The Ford Capri is still beautiful – my Dad collected his (model and colour scheme below) from a mid-night part 31st August ’82 at the dealer’s house and went on a mid-night parade with all the other new-reg owners.

I can understand the attraction to the Saab 900.
My first French MD kept his LHD convertible as his car in the UK when he came over and gave the company EClass to his wife to run around in. A charming gentleman and interestingly, of the automotive Delahaye family.

There are also a lot of other beautiful, desirable and fun cars above in this thread but I need to come back to the question, so what classic car would you love to own and drive in France?, Avoiding the obvious trap of ‘take a Veyron, have one track-day in it then sell it to buy a fleet of cars’ I can’t think of a car that reeks of French-ness, balances practicality, space, serene cruising with effortless class and elegance more than a Citroen DS Convertible.

5 Likes

Jaguar XK8

1 Like

One of these please…

3 Likes

Sgotta be a Deusie :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Always wanted a go in one of these.

1 Like

The Citroen DS Convertible is stunning.

2 Likes

Sbooful