So what does everyone think? Lockdown ahead?

The right to protest is really, really important - almost everything should be restricted before this.

1 Like

So why can’t people go to football stadiums then as long as they’re sat a metre apart and wear masks?

1 Like

No idea, ask the government. I don’t see why they shouldn’t, personally. Not that I’m a football fan. Presumably they will all have drinks and hot dogs, go to the loo etc at half time as they do at rugby matches, maybe that is the problem.
I don’t really see any logic at work - why should you have only 6 adults in your home if its ok to have 35 adults and near adults with you in a smallish room, who then go and mix and create a new group in another room and so on all day, swishing lots of virus about.

Recording engineer.

I bet that was fun. Back in the early seventies one of my friends was copyright manager at Polydor. We happened to call in one day when ‘Yes’ were in the office and Jon Anderson had his sister with him. I ended up with a couple of dates. It didn’t last long
I think the attraction was more the fact that it was Jon’s sister than the young lady herself. So fickle.

In Denmark street perhaps or in that studio hidden in an alley off Queensway,
Interesting and indulgent times 
Survival of the prettiest.

Announcement on Wednesday

(Note to self: book a haircut tomorrow!)

2 Likes

Highly likely that a second full lockdown is on the way.

New cases are holding steady around the 20K mark and, even worse, the daily death rate is holding steady at around 400. The R number remains just above 1 as well.

Just watched a France 24 report on evidence from surveys, social media, etc, - and individuals, businesses, etc already breaking the existing rules - that French people won’t accept another lockdown

Yesterday evening I watched the news on TF1 there was an interview with a restaurant owner saying he was re opening on Monday come what may as he, even with Gouv financial help he is losing 3k€ per month and struggling.
Interesting times ahead I think.

I think the problem is that people aren’t taking this seriously enough already. It’s just not in the French psyche to keep distant.
This morning we had fibre installed (yippee!) and the young Orange technician kept walking towards me as I’m backing away trying to keep more space between us.
Most of the time his mask was round his chin.
OH is having a nurse come in a dress a badly bashed thumb. She kept touching him, while she chatted to him. Yes I know she has to touch him while she removes the dressing and was wearing gloves, but we get to the end, she puts the disposable gloves in the bin and as she is saying goodbye touches him with her bare hand. She is a lovely, friendly touchy-feely French lady and I’m thinking - NO!!!

2 Likes

I learnt this afternoon that a local McDonald’s has been letting some customers ‘eat-in’ which is totally against the restrictions and I’ve visited various businesses recently where the staff weren’t wearing masks unless they were dealing with the public, just don’t understand.

VĂ©ran said in the press conference this afternoon that the curfew is working but not sufficiently to combat the rise in new cases, partly due to the new variants and this is increasing the pressure on hospitals. I reckon new measures will be announced very soon.

No new lockdown for the moment but closure of large shopping centres.

Watching castex’s speech i don’t buy it, they’re playing for time, all a bit odd and the various news channels can’t work it out either. If the figures don’t drop or go up i think we’ll be confined by next week-end.

2 Likes

Ties in with the start of the school holidays.

2 Likes

I agree, my gut feeling is that decisions will be taken this weekend and I hope they will be decisive and have a tight lockdown for at least the first few weeks of the holidays (perhaps compressing them). The worst case scenario would be to let things ride until after the school holidays, and not learn lessons from previous spikes.

2 Likes

These school holidays are staggered, they may decree that all zones start and finish simultaneously and lock us down hard to stop the new variant getting a rapid hold. No real information though, all just speculation. The EN minister is the love-child of Gollum and Uncle Fester and not to be relied on.

4 Likes

And borders to non-EU countries.

But I thought EU borders were already closed to non-EU countries
?