Social etiquette, tips?

As we all have, Ive got some beautifully kind and gentle neighbours. I told one of them, that I was appalled by a bloke who flagged me down on the road, in a way that I didn’t like…not respectfully.
I had assumed/from his demeanour, he was a likely flasher.

Unnerved, I wasn’t rude, but had no smart answers to dispose of him.
Not a huge prob in London, in daylight, less appealing on a lonely country lane, with no other humans nearby.
My neighbour understood my reaction, BUT, was a bit concerned that I ought, in any case, stick with the Right Way to manage such a social event. He looked anxious and so I didn’t like to press him, in case I offended him.
So what is a polite, kind …way to say clear off! To a pushy bloke? In France?

He showed up again today, at my locked gate, calling me, in dulcet tones, from without.
I don’t KNOW how not to hurt this bloke, my instinct is to get him with a plank with a nail through it.
The thing that worried me is that he lied in his first sentence.
He said he was from village x, when flagging me down. Two days ago, on my bike.
Changed his story at my gate, claimed to be from a different village. :fearful:

Say laissez moi tranquille. If he continues vous me harcelez et j’en ai assez, laissez moi tranquille ou je depose une main courante à la gendarmerie. If you have got a name, numberplate or whatever, tell the mairie he is bothering you, and also the gendarmes. Maybe he is the village harmless weirdo, maybe not, but telling the powers that be about him is likely to stymie him.

1 Like

In addition to Vero’s words of advice - I would have thought it only natural to chat this through with your neighbour.

Beats me why you didn’t ask him to explain how you might deal with the chap…

Surely that’s what neighbours do help/protect one another - especially a gallant Frenchman :upside_down_face::smiley:

1 Like

Vero and Stella! Kind of you to comment.

Laissez moi tranquille,
I can do that phrase! Its a phrase that can be said calmly and with a cheery smile, I think! As I close the gate and bolt it.
I can’t threaten him with the cops yet, because its only in his manner, and my gut feeling that he presents any danger.

The lie he offered had worried me from the first moment he spoke. He asked about me, and it seemed like a good idea to enquire, have some info about him, too.
His manner indicated nervous dishonesty. and his reply given in a way that made me distrust him pronto. He knew too much, about me already…without my saying anything.
He asked if I was alone all the while.
Of course I told him no way. :grimacing:

The place has been robbed of useful kit before …my petrol strimmer, a nice big power machine went, a few years ago.

Stella, I agree absolutely. He is a super, true gentleman. He looks after stray cats and never cuts down trees. Gives me figs from his garden, and found me an excellent roof repairs man. As well as doing a thousand good deeds in the commune. He gave me his phone number at once and said if Im scared, to call him.
However, no, I couldn’t ask for more than a few words of support.
He is currently very frail, after 2 very serious ops.

There are so few people nearby. I’m quite tough, and not easily scared, but the strange bloke looks a lot younger and stronger than me. I doubt if I could beat him up.
I should keep something clunky, to belt him with, close by the gate.

Maybe I will bend my nice neighbour’s ear again, when he feels better.

I’m too shattered to go for my usual evening stroll with neighbours, but, when I get back into that swing, I shall ask their advice… how would they deal with a similar situation… what would they say.

I reckon we shall have a wonderfully animated stroll… :wink::smiley::innocent:

1 Like

Wonderful!!!

I merely meant that you ask him for “suitable phrases” that would do the trick…I was not suggesting he saddle his white horse and come to your rescue… :rofl:

1 Like

Yes…
I understand…he would know exactly what to say.
Next time I see him, I will ask in a jolly, friendly way, for suggestions. Don’t want him to worry!